Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I'm White And I'm Proud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    HA due to my African origins I have more melanin,than you have in the palm of your hand.
    Sunburn? Never heard of it.
    Skin pigments do not exhibit much in the palms of hands, so no big deal.

And have you really never experienced sunburn? I have black friends who have indeed experienced fairly severe sunburn, folks with pretty dark skin.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    HA due to my African origins I have more melanin,than you have in the palm of your hand.
    I envy you.

Leave a comment:

• Cerealman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I guess I just don't understand the idea of being proud of one's "race." I mean, I'm about as white as they come, but am I proud of it? Well...no. I'm not "proud" of my hair color, either. I do have white skin, and I do have red hair. I don't see the point of being proud of it.

Edit: Sometimes I wish I wasn't as white as I am, because then I probably wouldn't sunburn quite so easily.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by whag View Post
    That depends on how obnoxious they are about it. I certainly wouldn't compare their pride in ancestral endurance with your "fake" pride in white scientific achievements (geological, cosmological, biological, etc) that you don't really believe.
    So black pride is basically OK...

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    That depends on how obnoxious they are about it. I certainly wouldn't compare their pride in ancestral endurance with your "fake" pride in white scientific achievements (geological, cosmological, biological, etc) that you don't really believe.
    What do you mean by "ancestral endurance?"

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    So you are against Black pride too?

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Except Hispanics.
    I think many Hispanics would consider themselves European and white. They certainly are not brown, not in Spain.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    You melanin-deficient freak!

(me too)

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Whatever 'ism' you want to tag it with, the real enemy is hate.
    I'd say it is sin, but that's just quibbling...

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    I would prefer to characterize it as Western civilization rather than race, and limit it to the last 500 years or so. The Chinese civilization invented some things well before the West (paper, gunpowder, printing), and it's not clear that Western civilization will maintain its current advantage in science and invention. What you describe is racist, yes.
    Ok so Western civilization - which is pretty much white.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    The idea that the white race is the best race is racist, yes.
    Why? Is there a race that has done more in science, medicine, technology and creating a democratic form of government.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    I'm going to go the other way - no, being proud of your skin color and/or ancestry is not inherently racist. If it were then 'black pride' would necessarily be racist as well.

What is prejudicial, however, is when you decide X group is necessarily better than every other group and promptly start judging individuals on that basis.

For the record, I think pride in nothing but skin color is pretty danged stupid and petty. Hatred on the basis of skin color is also pretty danged stupid and petty. Hatred on the basis of someone else's hatred based on skin color is also pretty danged stupid and petty. Ultimately, you're getting worked up over something that doesn't truly matter in the least. I'm looking at you, Whag and PM - the problem isn't the skin color thing (that's just dumb) - the problem is the self sanctifying hatred and looking down on others. It's the same critter no matter what you excuse it with - and just as stupid and destructive.

Whatever 'ism' you want to tag it with, the real enemy is hate.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Says the guy who rejects evolution. You have no basis to be proud of large human achievements since you had nothing to do with their discoveries. You might as well be proud of Arabs for their advances in math and astronomy. It's that absurd an association.
    So you are against Black pride too?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    That never stopped the Government from categorizing us as a monolithic entity
    Because the government knows what it is doing

But that does bring up the point that on our census Asians are broken up into multiple chategories whereas those of European descent are treated as a single group.

Leave a comment: