Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I'm White And I'm Proud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    There's no scientifically coherent definition of 'white race'. It always ends up a circular 'whoever did real well and had pale skin... and tanned when it suits me'.
    Geneticists have demonstrated that race is an artificial construct, that we are remarkably homogeneous genetically and that Darwin was correct when he observed that far larger differences could be seen within a "so-called race" (a term that he often employed) than between them. In pointing out the problems with even trying to divide humanity into separate races he emphatically stated that, "they graduate into each other, and that it is hardly possible to discover clear distinctive characters between them" as well as "It may be doubted whether any character can be named which is distinctive of a race and is constant.”

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    If we're the most advanced race in history, why do we abort so many of our own?

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Generally Europeans.
    Except Hispanics.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Ginger.jpg

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I guess I just don't understand the idea of being proud of one's "race." I mean, I'm about as white as they come, but am I proud of it? Well...no. I'm not "proud" of my hair color, either. I do have white skin, and I do have red hair. I don't see the point of being proud of it.

Edit: Sometimes I wish I wasn't as white as I am, because then I probably wouldn't sunburn quite so easily.
    You melanin-deficient freak!

(me too)

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    I think the European white race and culture is the best most advanced culture/ race in history. The most prolific race when it comes to science, invention and political structure, ideals. Far surpassing any other race known to man. Is that belief racist in and of itself?
    I would prefer to characterize it as Western civilization rather than race, and limit it to the last 500 years or so. The Chinese civilization invented some things well before the West (paper, gunpowder, printing), and it's not clear that Western civilization will maintain its current advantage in science and invention. What you describe is racist, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    The idea that the white race is the best race is racist, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    I guess I just don't understand the idea of being proud of one's "race." I mean, I'm about as white as they come, but am I proud of it? Well...no. I'm not "proud" of my hair color, either. I do have white skin, and I do have red hair. I don't see the point of being proud of it.

Edit: Sometimes I wish I wasn't as white as I am, because then I probably wouldn't sunburn quite so easily.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    I think the European white race and culture is the best most advanced culture/ race in history. The most prolific race when it comes to science, invention and political structure, ideals. Far surpassing any other race known to man. Is that belief racist in and of itself?
    Says the guy who rejects evolution. You have no basis to be proud of large human achievements since you had nothing to do with their discoveries. You might as well be proud of Arabs for their advances in math and astronomy. It's that absurd an association.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    There's no scientifically coherent definition of 'white race'. It always ends up a circular 'whoever did real well and had pale skin... and tanned when it suits me'.
    That never stopped the Government from categorizing us as a monolithic entity

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Generally Europeans.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• seer
    started a topic I'm White And I'm Proud?

I'm White And I'm Proud?