Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Civics 101: The US Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The memory ain't what it used to be.

In 9th grade my Civics teacher got mad at he class and required us to memorize all of the Constitutional Amendments in order. I handed in the list a few minutes later[1] and spent the rest of the week doodling and doing homework for other classes. Last year a friend of mine's son was having trouble in his U.S. History class and I discovered that I couldn't remember three of them and got the order of two mixed up.

1. I think this had a lot to do with spending 1st through part of 8th grade just outside of Washington D.C. where everything was government. If you got a word question in math it had to do with appropriations. If you diagramed a sentence in English it was usually something from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence.
    Atleast you didn't have to learn a whole new constitution while you were in high school.
    http://govza.gcis.gov.za/documents/c...th-africa-1996

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Psst! You forgot 'redress of grievance'!
    The memory ain't what it used to be.

In 9th grade my Civics teacher got mad at he class and required us to memorize all of the Constitutional Amendments in order. I handed in the list a few minutes later[1] and spent the rest of the week doodling and doing homework for other classes. Last year a friend of mine's son was having trouble in his U.S. History class and I discovered that I couldn't remember three of them and got the order of two mixed up.

1. I think this had a lot to do with spending 1st through part of 8th grade just outside of Washington D.C. where everything was government. If you got a word question in math it had to do with appropriations. If you diagramed a sentence in English it was usually something from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The First Amendment has more than two things. It covers freedom of religion, speech, press and assembly. And it isn't alone. For instance, the Fifth covers the need for Grand Jury indictments for capital and infamous crimes, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, due process and compensation for the taking of property by the government.
    Psst! You forgot 'redress of grievance'!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    Well now that's just cheating, sneaking two things into one amendment like that
    The First Amendment has more than two things. It covers freedom of religion, speech, press and assembly. And it isn't alone. For instance, the Fifth covers the need for Grand Jury indictments for capital and infamous crimes, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, due process and compensation for the taking of property by the government.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    which probably have half a brick in them and a few blood stains. Or as some people like to call it, evidence.
    Nah, we get rid of those when we hide the body....

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Oh no, we're gonna throw in two pair of slightly used socks, too!
    which probably have half a brick in them and a few blood stains. Or as some people like to call it, evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    I know, I know! A full round of insincere left-handed compliments!
    Oh no, we're gonna throw in two pair of slightly used socks, too!

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    15/15, got them all correct. What do I win?
    I know, I know! A full round of insincere left-handed compliments!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Five, just counting the enumerated.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    You're right, it is, but they might not have cited the full amendment.
    First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    I missed 4.

#4. <-- by phrasing I thought it was a trick question.....it wasn't
    #6. <-- I've not really paid much attention who your past vice presidents were.
    #7. <-- I have no idea why I selected the option I did.
    #14. <-- I thought it was the third amendment because for some bizarre reason I thought the first was about free speech.
    First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• Quantum Weirdness
    replied
    Not surprisingly, I'm the one who missed 6.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    #14. <-- I thought it was the third amendment because for some bizarre reason I thought the first was about free speech.
    You're right, it is, but they might not have cited the full amendment.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    I missed 4.

#4. <-- by phrasing I thought it was a trick question.....it wasn't
    #6. <-- I've not really paid much attention who your past vice presidents were.
    #7. <-- I have no idea why I selected the option I did.

Leave a comment: