Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

---
    The city of Houston has issued subpoenas demanding a group of pastors turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity or Annise Parker, the city’s first openly lesbian mayor. And those ministers who fail to comply could be held in contempt of court.

“The city’s subpoena of sermons and other pastoral communications is both needless and unprecedented,” Alliance Defending Freedom attorney Christina Holcomb said in a statement. “The city council and its attorneys are engaging in an inquisition designed to stifle any critique of its actions.”
    ADF attorney Stanley suspects the mayor wants to publicly shame the ministers. He said he anticipates they will hold up their sermons for public scrutiny. In other words – the city is rummaging for evidence to “out” the pastors as anti-gay bigots.

Among those slapped with a subpoena is Steve Riggle, the senior pastor of Grace Community Church. He was ordered to produce all speeches and sermons related to Mayor Annise Parker, homosexuality and gender identity.

The mega-church pastor was also ordered to hand over “all communications with members of your congregation” regarding the non-discrimination law.

“This is an attempt to chill pastors from speaking to the cultural issues of the day,” Riggle told me. “The mayor would like to silence our voice. She’s a bully.”
    http://www.tpnn.com/2014/10/14/city-...-over-sermons/
    ------------

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    ---
    The city of Houston has issued subpoenas demanding a group of pastors turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity or Annise Parker, the city’s first openly lesbian mayor. And those ministers who fail to comply could be held in contempt of court.

“The city’s subpoena of sermons and other pastoral communications is both needless and unprecedented,” Alliance Defending Freedom attorney Christina Holcomb said in a statement. “The city council and its attorneys are engaging in an inquisition designed to stifle any critique of its actions.”
    ADF attorney Stanley suspects the mayor wants to publicly shame the ministers. He said he anticipates they will hold up their sermons for public scrutiny. In other words – the city is rummaging for evidence to “out” the pastors as anti-gay bigots.

Among those slapped with a subpoena is Steve Riggle, the senior pastor of Grace Community Church. He was ordered to produce all speeches and sermons related to Mayor Annise Parker, homosexuality and gender identity.

The mega-church pastor was also ordered to hand over “all communications with members of your congregation” regarding the non-discrimination law.

“This is an attempt to chill pastors from speaking to the cultural issues of the day,” Riggle told me. “The mayor would like to silence our voice. She’s a bully.”
    http://www.tpnn.com/2014/10/14/city-...-over-sermons/
    ------------
    And so it starts - who didn't see this coming! Fascist...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

How dare those bigoted Christians bring their religious views into the public square !!!!

Uh... wait.... they're preaching in their churches, and teaching their congregations in their own buildings...? So...it's not in public....?
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

I'd claim that my hard drive died, and that the sermons and communications were lost.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I'd claim that my hard drive died, and that the sermons and communications were lost.
          Why lie about it? Just tell them to stick their demands where the sun doesn't shine and continue preaching. If they want to know what is in the sermons, they can come to the service and hear it themselves.

The mayor can't win this one, it goes directly against the first amendment.

Comment

She just won the city a multimillion dollar lawsuit that they will lose massively.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Why lie about it?
              Just to see how fast the libtards change their tune on "lost emails"
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Just to see how fast the libtards change their tune on "lost emails"
                oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  She just won the city a multimillion dollar lawsuit that they will lose massively.
                  CP is near there. We might need to go post his bail.

Comment

CP is near there. We might need to go post his bail.
                    Especially after his entrance...

10121795.gif
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      And so it starts - who didn't see this coming! Fascist...
                      This is the kind of crap that idiots like JimL are too stupid to realize is the REAL agenda of the morons he supports. And there's a lot more to this than is in the press.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        This is the kind of crap that idiots like JimL are too stupid to realize is the REAL agenda of the morons he supports. And there's a lot more to this than is in the press.
                        What more do you know? I sent my pastor a link, I would like to find out as much as I can.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          all of the pastors should start preaching sermons on homosexuality and the gay mayor. Overwhelm her with it.

Comment

From the Houston Chronicle...
                            Source: Chron

The subpoenas were issued to several high-profile pastors and religious leaders who have been vocal in opposing the ordinance. The Alliance Defending Freedom has filed a motion on behalf of the pastors seeking to quash the subpoenas.

Plaintiff Jared Woodfill said the subpoena impinges on protected religious freedoms.

"This is the city trampling on the First Amendment rights of pastors in their churches," Woodfill said.

The city attorney's office has not responded to requests for comment.

© Copyright Original Source

I am a charter member of the Alliance Defending Freedom, so I've been getting their alerts on this. This is absolutely astounding. The homosexual community doesn't want equality -- they want CONTROL.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              What more do you know? I sent my pastor a link, I would like to find out as much as I can.
                              I have a friend, and member of my church, dying of cancer at MD Anderson, and will be leaving shortly to be with him. I'll try to write more on this later, and include some of the info I got from Alliance Defending Freedom. However, Anice Parker, the Mayor in question, is absolutely HATEFUL toward Christianity.

Comment