Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meanwhile, here is the motion to quash filed by ADF.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      From the Houston Chronicle...
      Source: Chron

The subpoenas were issued to several high-profile pastors and religious leaders who have been vocal in opposing the ordinance. The Alliance Defending Freedom has filed a motion on behalf of the pastors seeking to quash the subpoenas.

Plaintiff Jared Woodfill said the subpoena impinges on protected religious freedoms.

"This is the city trampling on the First Amendment rights of pastors in their churches," Woodfill said.

The city attorney's office has not responded to requests for comment.

© Copyright Original Source

I am a charter member of the Alliance Defending Freedom, so I've been getting their alerts on this. This is absolutely astounding. The homosexual community doesn't want equality -- they want CONTROL.
      They also tossed out a 50,000 signature petition claiming that most of the signatures were invalid. riiiiiight. I hope this leads to a huge lawsuit against Houston and gets the Mayor impeached and maybe even tossed into jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        They also tossed out a 50,000 signature petition claiming that most of the signatures were invalid. riiiiiight. I hope this leads to a huge lawsuit against Houston and gets the Mayor impeached and maybe even tossed into jail.
        Yes, that's a WHOLE 'NUTHER battle showing the incredible anti-Christian bias of the liberals in charge of the city of Houston.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What possible justification can there be for this subpoena?
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Does that matter to the left?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The implicit threat, I think, is to the tax-exempt status of these churches. Ever since the middle of the last century, when Lyndon Johnson felt so politically threatened by churches that he looked for a way to shut them up, churches' tax-exempt status is based on them not making explicit endorsements of parties, candidates, or policies to their congregations. Basically, churches can't tell their congregations which way to vote. To the extent that these subpoenas have any legal basis whatsoever, it's probably in trying to ascertain whether these pastors violated those regulations.

I think there are churches that regularly violate these regulations without consequence (e.g. Jeremiah Wright, and probably not a few churches on the Right as well), but I could be wrong about that.
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Perhaps they are challenging the tax-exempt status of churches engaging in non-exempt political action to oppose or overturn a specific ordinance. If this is the case, they would not be challenging the right to freedom of speech but investigating the validity of their tax exempt status.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Great minds think alike. Wow, I'm now in Smarticus' league!
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    Perhaps they are challenging the tax-exempt status of churches engaging in non-exempt political action to oppose or overturn a specific ordinance. If this is the case, they would not be challenging the right to freedom of speech but investigating the validity of their tax exempt status.
                    It is better to obey God rather than man. And pastors are to preach the WHOLE of scripture. Not cherry pick whatever the state thinks they should preach. Although many already do that, wrongly.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Rod-Smart-He-Hate-Me-Las-Vegas-Outlaws-2001-XFL.jpg
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Legal? There isn't one. Political? Trying to protect the 'anti-discrimination' ordinance they recently enacted.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Great minds think alike. Wow, I'm now in Smarticus' league!
                          But Teal disagrees with us, so obviously we're both wrong
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

The subpoena is way too broad for that.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              But Teal disagrees with us, so obviously we're both wrong
                              I didn't disagree - it's probably part of the picture. But that's Fed, not local so if it were the actual main objective they would have called the IRS instead.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Why is it such a problem that we say that homosexual relations are sinful? Promiscuity is a sin and no one makes a big deal about that. It really doesn't matter unless you are a Christian that an act is a sin.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment