Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Okay, it bugged me...

It's candidates, per the IRS's fact sheet: http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-P...-Organizations

Oh, and it seems this puppy hasn't been fully adjudicated (I hadn't thought so but hadn't looked in a while) - despite trying: http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/er...-exempt-status

So, issues and ballot measures are fair game.
    Yeah, and so says our Church's attorney.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
      I trust this synopsis of events was really a Edited by a Moderator at the school board. I'll even grant, for the sake of argument, that it was motivated by people at the school board who hate your religion and the expression of it in home schooling.
      Well, no, it had nothing to do with hating my religion -- MOST of them were "fellow" Christians. The issue was that public school FUNDING was based on ATTENDANCE, and every student who was not "in school" cost them big bucks. They were trying to head off a movement.

It was wrong to put you through that.
      Yeah, for whatever reason.

That being said, I don't think what happened to you in the 80s or this latest incident is reflective of a widening attack on Christian churches and pastors.
      My home school issue was NOT an attack on Christian churches and pastors, but recent incidents ARE.

I believe that a persecution complex is in-built in all religions whose text promises that they will be increasingly abused for holding controversial beliefs. I'm not saying you're saying that--you already explained that it's a hot button issue for you simply because you have direct experience of it. But some do get carried away with the belief that their particular sky is falling. Be they Christians, Mormons, Muslims, or atheists, they'd be wrong.
      Well, funny you should mention Muslims.... some ARE preaching hate in mosques in America, and ARE supporting terrorist causes -- but these same liberals who so EASILY issue subpoenas to Christians would have HEART ATTACKS if somebody tried to do the same thing to Imams who preach "death to America". It happens to be fashionable now to oppose Christianity, and kiss up to Muslims.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Well, funny you should mention Muslims.... some ARE preaching hate in mosques in America, and ARE supporting terrorist causes -- but these same liberals who so EASILY issue subpoenas to Christians would have HEART ATTACKS if somebody tried to do the same thing to Imams who preach "death to America". It happens to be fashionable now to oppose Christianity, and kiss up to Muslims.
        Not to mention that too much opposition to Muslims can be harmful to your health.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• From what I've seen so far, this was blown out of proportion. It all started with the group suing the city over the validity of the signatures. Lawyers responded with subpoenas that I agree overreached into free speech and freedom of religion rights.

Mayor and DA probably should have explained it better. But would anyone have listened?
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Well, no, it had nothing to do with hating my religion -- MOST of them were "fellow" Christians. The issue was that public school FUNDING was based on ATTENDANCE, and every student who was not "in school" cost them big bucks. They were trying to head off a movement.

Yeah, for whatever reason.

My home school issue was NOT an attack on Christian churches and pastors, but recent incidents ARE.
            I don't see it. Many churches in my area and throughout the US say that homosexuality is a perversion, for example, and they're perfectly safe doing so. You want to believe you're being especially persecuted, but you're not. You're mostly treated with tolerance and kindness despite your weird views about birth control, sex, and evolution.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Two things:

1. It's acceptable to mock conservative Christianity today (in SOME settings. Certainly not at the workplace!) because it's allied with creationism, which directly impedes understanding of science. That's actually the church's fault for being way to confident in literalism and misleading Christian youth. You deserve that.

2. Favoritism of extremist Muslims is only in your FOX News-addled head. Provide proof that conservative Christian pastors, such as John MacArthur, are more investigated and harassed by the government than extremist Muslims preaching terrorism against the United States.

Comment

I don't see it. Many churches in my area and throughout the US say that homosexuality is a perversion, for example, and they're perfectly safe doing so. You want to believe you're being especially persecuted, but you're not.
              No, you're WAY off... I don't believe we've been persecuted AT ALL. Harassed? sure.... but not persecuted.

You're mostly treated with tolerance and kindness despite your weird views about birth control, sex, and evolution.
              How do YOU know how I've been treated?

Two things:

1. It's acceptable to mock conservative Christianity today (in SOME settings. Certainly not at the workplace!) because it's allied with creationism, which directly impedes understanding of science. That's actually the church's fault for being way to confident in literalism and misleading Christian youth. You deserve that.

2. Favoritism of extremist Muslims is only in your FOX News-addled head. Provide proof that conservative Christian pastors, such as John MacArthur, are more investigated and harassed by the government than extremist Muslims preaching terrorism against the United States.
              FOX News-addled head? Ya lost me when you get goofy like this and make unsubstantiated wacko claims.

Comment

• Re: "Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons"

Now if they demanded I listen to them, that would be cruel and unusual. As it is, I'm thinking Houston must be a glutton for punishment.

Comment

• CP? About your support for home schooling ... was that about evolution?

Comment

No, you're WAY off... I don't believe we've been persecuted AT ALL. Harassed? sure.... but not persecuted.

How do YOU know how I've been treated?

FOX News-addled head? Ya lost me when you get goofy like this and make unsubstantiated wacko claims.
                    FOX perpetuates the myth that Islamic terrorists are treated better than average Christians. If you came to that dopey conclusion by yourself, I apologize.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      CP? About your support for home schooling ... was that about evolution?
                      I'd also like to know the science curriculum that Cow Poke was advocating back in the 80s.

Comment

• CP's on record for having given up watching FOX some years back.

But it was too late.

Gateway drugs, ya know.

He's since moved on to hard-core whackjob news.

We tried to warn him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          CP? About your support for home schooling ... was that about evolution?
                          Not at all... I was traveling a lot at the time, and we actually had a GOOD school system. I had talked to the Superintendent of Schools, and pledged to work with them, even being accountable. He said it sounded good, and next thing I knew, I got a letter from their attorney telling me I was being prosecuted.

We were living in Huntsville, Texas at the time, and took my daughter to the "teacher college" there for them to do assessment tests... she consistently tested "above grade" in every area but math.

Comment

FOX perpetuates the myth that Islamic terrorists are treated better than average Christians.
                            I'm unaware of that, and don't see how that fits here.

If you came to that dopey conclusion by yourself, I apologize.
                            Are you on meds, Whag? I mean... seriously... sometimes you seem to actually want decent conversation, and other times you seem more inclined to be a .... well, you'll NEVER measure up to Jesse's standards!

Comment

I'd also like to know the science curriculum that Cow Poke was advocating back in the 80s.
                              Absolutely nothing to do with it, but your conclusion jumping is duly noted.

Comment

... and other times you seem more inclined to be a .... well ...
                                That's skating awfully close to the edge there, pardner.

Comment