Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

    ---
    The city of Houston has issued subpoenas demanding a group of pastors turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity or Annise Parker, the city’s first openly lesbian mayor. And those ministers who fail to comply could be held in contempt of court.

    “The city’s subpoena of sermons and other pastoral communications is both needless and unprecedented,” Alliance Defending Freedom attorney Christina Holcomb said in a statement. “The city council and its attorneys are engaging in an inquisition designed to stifle any critique of its actions.”
    ...
    ADF attorney Stanley suspects the mayor wants to publicly shame the ministers. He said he anticipates they will hold up their sermons for public scrutiny. In other words – the city is rummaging for evidence to “out” the pastors as anti-gay bigots.

    Among those slapped with a subpoena is Steve Riggle, the senior pastor of Grace Community Church. He was ordered to produce all speeches and sermons related to Mayor Annise Parker, homosexuality and gender identity.

    The mega-church pastor was also ordered to hand over “all communications with members of your congregation” regarding the non-discrimination law.

    “This is an attempt to chill pastors from speaking to the cultural issues of the day,” Riggle told me. “The mayor would like to silence our voice. She’s a bully.”
    http://www.tpnn.com/2014/10/14/city-...-over-sermons/
    ------------


  • #2
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    ---
    The city of Houston has issued subpoenas demanding a group of pastors turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity or Annise Parker, the city’s first openly lesbian mayor. And those ministers who fail to comply could be held in contempt of court.

    “The city’s subpoena of sermons and other pastoral communications is both needless and unprecedented,” Alliance Defending Freedom attorney Christina Holcomb said in a statement. “The city council and its attorneys are engaging in an inquisition designed to stifle any critique of its actions.”
    ...
    ADF attorney Stanley suspects the mayor wants to publicly shame the ministers. He said he anticipates they will hold up their sermons for public scrutiny. In other words – the city is rummaging for evidence to “out” the pastors as anti-gay bigots.

    Among those slapped with a subpoena is Steve Riggle, the senior pastor of Grace Community Church. He was ordered to produce all speeches and sermons related to Mayor Annise Parker, homosexuality and gender identity.

    The mega-church pastor was also ordered to hand over “all communications with members of your congregation” regarding the non-discrimination law.

    “This is an attempt to chill pastors from speaking to the cultural issues of the day,” Riggle told me. “The mayor would like to silence our voice. She’s a bully.”
    http://www.tpnn.com/2014/10/14/city-...-over-sermons/
    ------------
    And so it starts - who didn't see this coming! Fascist...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

    Comment


    • #3
      How dare those bigoted Christians bring their religious views into the public square !!!!

      Uh... wait.... they're preaching in their churches, and teaching their congregations in their own buildings...? So...it's not in public....?
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd claim that my hard drive died, and that the sermons and communications were lost.
        That's what
        - She

        Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

        I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        Stephen R. Donaldson

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I'd claim that my hard drive died, and that the sermons and communications were lost.
          Why lie about it? Just tell them to stick their demands where the sun doesn't shine and continue preaching. If they want to know what is in the sermons, they can come to the service and hear it themselves.

          The mayor can't win this one, it goes directly against the first amendment.

          Comment


          • #6
            She just won the city a multimillion dollar lawsuit that they will lose massively.

            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


            "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

            My Personal Blog

            My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Why lie about it?
              Just to see how fast the libtards change their tune on "lost emails"
              That's what
              - She

              Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

              I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              Stephen R. Donaldson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Just to see how fast the libtards change their tune on "lost emails"
                oh.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  She just won the city a multimillion dollar lawsuit that they will lose massively.
                  CP is near there. We might need to go post his bail.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    CP is near there. We might need to go post his bail.
                    Especially after his entrance...

                    10121795.gif
                    That's what
                    - She

                    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    Stephen R. Donaldson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by seer View Post
                      And so it starts - who didn't see this coming! Fascist...
                      This is the kind of crap that idiots like JimL are too stupid to realize is the REAL agenda of the morons he supports. And there's a lot more to this than is in the press.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        This is the kind of crap that idiots like JimL are too stupid to realize is the REAL agenda of the morons he supports. And there's a lot more to this than is in the press.
                        What more do you know? I sent my pastor a link, I would like to find out as much as I can.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          This is the kind of crap that idiots like JimL are too stupid to realize is the REAL agenda of the morons he supports. And there's a lot more to this than is in the press.
                          all of the pastors should start preaching sermons on homosexuality and the gay mayor. Overwhelm her with it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            From the Houston Chronicle...
                            Source: Chron

                            The subpoenas were issued to several high-profile pastors and religious leaders who have been vocal in opposing the ordinance. The Alliance Defending Freedom has filed a motion on behalf of the pastors seeking to quash the subpoenas.

                            Plaintiff Jared Woodfill said the subpoena impinges on protected religious freedoms.

                            "This is the city trampling on the First Amendment rights of pastors in their churches," Woodfill said.

                            The city attorney's office has not responded to requests for comment.

                            © Copyright Original Source



                            I am a charter member of the Alliance Defending Freedom, so I've been getting their alerts on this. This is absolutely astounding. The homosexual community doesn't want equality -- they want CONTROL.
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by seer View Post
                              What more do you know? I sent my pastor a link, I would like to find out as much as I can.
                              I have a friend, and member of my church, dying of cancer at MD Anderson, and will be leaving shortly to be with him. I'll try to write more on this later, and include some of the info I got from Alliance Defending Freedom. However, Anice Parker, the Mayor in question, is absolutely HATEFUL toward Christianity.
                              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by shunyadragon, Today, 06:20 PM
                              7 responses
                              26 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post LiconaFan97  
                              Started by shunyadragon, Today, 06:10 PM
                              1 response
                              12 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NorrinRadd  
                              Started by Thoughtful Monk, Today, 11:36 AM
                              13 responses
                              44 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NorrinRadd  
                              Started by Charles, Today, 09:40 AM
                              27 responses
                              160 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post LiconaFan97  
                              Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 08:34 PM
                              8 responses
                              52 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Working...
                              X