Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And The Brown Shirts March On....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And The Brown Shirts March On....

How can we avoid a civil war????

Hands On Originals discriminated against the Gay and Lesbian Services Organization of Lexington when it refused to print the group's Lexington Pride Festival T-shirts in 2012, according to a hearing officer in the case.

Greg Munson issued his decision Monday. The Lexington-Fayette Urban County Human Rights Commission released it Tuesday morning.

"The evidence of record shows that the respondent discriminated against GLSO because of its members' actual or imputed sexual orientation by refusing to print and sell to them the official shirts for the 2012 Lexington Pride Festival."
    http://www.kentucky.com/2014/10/07/3...#storylink=cpy
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    You mean like the Civil War that restored human dignity to the slaves despite the opposition of those determined to resist it? There won’t be a civil war over gay rights because the growing majority recognizes the justice of their cause and the injustice of discrimination against it.

“Today, 61% of Republicans and Republican leaner’s under 30 favor same-sex marriage while just 35% oppose it…” "And while support for gay marriage is higher among younger Democrats and Democratic leaner's than older Democrats, even Democrats 65 and older favor same-sex marriage by a margin of about two-to-one".

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-sex-marriage/
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Just because the majority of those polled says something is okay doesn't make it so.

And this sort of thing (i.e. the op) has been going on in Canada for years. Religious rights and freedoms are ALWAYS trumped by special interest groups who think their rights have been trampled on.

Welcome to the new world, America!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if the KKK tried to force a black-owned print shop to print up racist t-shirts?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I wonder what would happen if the KKK tried to force a black-owned print shop to print up racist t-shirts?
          Exactly...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I wonder if we could encourage that . . .
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              and so the enslavement continues

Comment

Hmm...I'd side with your position if the group wanted Hands-On to print shirts supporting same-sex marriage or something like that. Even though I believe they ought to support it, they shouldn't be required to make things that they don't agree with. But all the GLSO asked them to do was print out shirts saying "Lexington Pride Festival." How is that controversial? The design itself is fairly simple and innocuous and doesn't contain graphic images or suggestive language or anything of the sort.

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                and so the enslavement continues
                This isn't even remotely close to enslavement.
                Last edited by fm93; 10-14-2014, 07:09 PM.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Is the KKK part of a protected class?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Just because the majority of those polled says something is okay doesn't make it so.
                    When it comes to human-rights legislation it has an impact.

And this sort of thing (i.e. the op) has been going on in Canada for years. Religious rights and freedoms are ALWAYS trumped by special interest groups who think their rights have been trampled on.
                    Perhaps the rights of special interests groups have been trampled on. Don't you care? If the “religious rights and freedoms” are “ALWAYS" trumped then perhaps this indicates that the religious groups were demanding their "rights and freedoms" at the expense of the rights and freedoms of others.

Welcome to the new world, America!
                    Indeed! There have been many advances. Equal Civil Rights for all citizens is now almost universal - from blacks to women and now homosexuals.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 10-15-2014, 04:36 AM.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The KKK is not a designated “Place of Public Accommodation” under the Civil Rights Act, thus it’s not subject to the requirements of the Act. It's actually a designated a Hate Group according to the Southern Poverty Law Centre for being dedicated to denying equal rights to blacks, Jews, immigrants, gays and lesbians and, until recently, Catholics. It has something in common with the Inquisitions in that it desires to exclude those who don't conform to their own values - not unlike Evangelicals in this regard.
                      Last edited by Tassman; 10-15-2014, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                        Hmm...I'd side with your position if the group wanted Hands-On to print shirts supporting same-sex marriage or something like that. Even though I believe they ought to support it, they shouldn't be required to make things that they don't agree with. But all the GLSO asked them to do was print out shirts saying "Lexington Pride Festival." How is that controversial? The design itself is fairly simple and innocuous and doesn't contain graphic images or suggestive language or anything of the sort.

This isn't even remotely close to enslavement.
                        The Lexington Pride festival is a gay pride festival (I live only 75 miles from there) http://www.lexpridefest.org/site/?page_id=2

So if the KKK wanted to force a black-owned business to print "White Pride Festival" shirts, you would support that?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          Is the KKK part of a protected class?
                          they claim to be a religious organization (Christian Identity Movement) that believes in the separation of races and the superiority of the white race. So, yes they are. More so than LGBT which are not covered under the US constitution, but only the city fairness ordinance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            The KKK is not a designated “Place of Public Accommodation” under the Civil Rights Act, thus it’s not subject to the requirements of the Act. It's actually a designated a Hate Group according to the Southern Poverty Law Centre for being dedicated to denying equal rights to blacks, Jews, immigrants, gays and lesbians and, until recently, Catholics. It has something in common with the Inquisitions in that it desires to exclude those who don't conform to their own values - not unlike Evangelicals in this regard.
                            the "place of public accommodation" would be the VENDOR not the client, dipwad. And as a religious group it has the protection of the constitution no matter how hateful its message is. In fact, they had a march in a town where my brother was a police officer and he and his fellow officers, white and black, were required to protect them from the crowds as they marched and made hate speech.

Again, stick to your own country and stop trying to tell us how ours works.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                              Hmm...I'd side with your position if the group wanted Hands-On to print shirts supporting same-sex marriage or something like that.
                              ...you mean like a gay pride parade?
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment