Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Noah's Ark theme park faith-based hiring policy called discriminatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah's Ark theme park faith-based hiring policy called discriminatory

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The developer of a Noah's Ark-based theme park in Kentucky said on Wednesday he would fight for his religious rights after state officials warned he could lose millions in potential tax credits if he hires only people who believe in the biblical flood.

Ark Encounter, which is slated to open in 2016 in Williamston, Kentucky, is not hiring anyone yet, but its parent company Answers in Genesis asks employees to sign a faith statement including a belief in creationism and the flood. (Continues)

*Adopts Seinfeld shows Soup Nazi Voice* "No tax credit for you!"

Amazing isn't it? Atheist groups charge violations in the establishment clause if anyone receiving any kind of government funding or credits embraces anything religious as cause to sue. And threaten they do. And they make headlines and usually back down religious people who bow to the demands to not do this or that for fear of ending up in court.

Now instead of a bunch of godless hacks, here we have KY state officials threatening they'll revoke tax credits if a religious themed park insists on holding to its religious beliefs by extending those to its hiring practices that support the theme of the entire business.
    Translation: If you don't want to pay us taxes through the nose to have your religious theme park, you'll agree to abdicate your religious convictions and hire people who don't hold to religious beliefs so that we don't charge you more in taxes to have a religious themed park.

The worlds going to Hell I tell ya. And it's being guided there by stupid people in power.
    Last edited by Country Sparrow; 10-10-2014, 08:29 PM.

sigpic
    "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
    Marcus Aurelius

What tax credits are we talking about here? Why would the government be supporting such an endeavor any how?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm not a fan of corporations getting government handouts. Look at what happened to Washington state. They gave a massive tax break worth billions to Boeing, who promptly moved a bunch of jobs to the Midwest.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Why does it matter what their religious beliefs are? The only thing that should matter is if they can do their job.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Sparrow View Post
          Translation: If you don't want to pay us taxes through the nose to have your religious theme park, you'll agree to abdicate your religious convictions and hire people who don't hold to religious beliefs so that we don't charge you more in taxes to have a religious themed park.
          IIRC, the tax credits were promised because there was an expectation that the theme park would create many jobs, reducing unemployment. The theme park now wants to limit the jobs to a subset of the taxpayers; I would imagine that the implicit understanding has been broken by one party and hence the other party is threatening to not fulfill its share of the agreement.

Comment

The real problem is that AiG is a non-profit, registered as a 401(c)(3); it can absolutely hire whomever it desires, legally, even restricting on the basis of protected classes like religion. However, the Ark Encounter park is a FOR-profit organization, and as such cannot restrict its employees based upon protected classes, such as religious belief.

The issue is that AiG is attempting to hire people who will instead work for Ark Encounter, while still being employees of AiG. This is clearly in an effort to skirt around hiring laws. It's intentionally dishonest of AiG.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

From the Article:
              Zovath said the state has added a requirement about hiring practices that is not part of the existing tourism tax credits law.

"In July, Ark Encounter, LLC, received preliminary approval to collect a rebate from a portion of the sales tax revenues generated at its park......"
              And there is also the tourism tax credit.

This added requirement that apparently wasn't part of the original written understanding between the park sponsors and the state government seems to be at issue. Due to the last part of the article, it seems the state was the one's not being forthcoming. "But a state official said on Wednesday that everybody knows laws regarding hiring practices and that the states doesn't need to elaborate them for companies seeking incentives." That's pretty deceptive. The law doesn't need to provide details (elaborate) as to the laws regarding hiring practices? Especially when this is a religious themed park that is afforded special consideration under protected class tax exempt religious status? That's presumptuous. The law has to elaborate itself in order to insure compliance.

sigpic
              Marcus Aurelius

Comment

A store in our town wouldn't hire my son because he wanted to have Sundays off.

I guess he should have sued them for discrimination on the basis of his Christianity.

Or doesn't it work both ways?

I am not saying that the theme park is not in error, because I don't know the full details, nor do I know the legalities of the matter.

But there does seem to generally be a double standard in many areas of life where Christians are concerned. Usually not in our favour.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  A store in our town wouldn't hire my son because he wanted to have Sundays off.

I guess he should have sued them for discrimination on the basis of his Christianity.

Or doesn't it work both ways?

I am not saying that the theme park is not in error, because I don't know the full details, nor do I know the legalities of the matter.

But there does seem to generally be a double standard in many areas of life where Christians are concerned. Usually not in our favour.
                  Canada doesn't have Sherbert, apparently.

USA! USA! USA!
                  Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

OK, I can tell I'm in a sugar jones because I saw sherbert and thought this,

Not, this:

sigpic
                    Marcus Aurelius

Comment

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The developer of a Noah's Ark-based theme park in Kentucky said on Wednesday he would fight for his religious rights after state officials warned he could lose millions in potential tax credits if he hires only people who believe in the biblical flood.

Ark Encounter, which is slated to open in 2016 in Williamston, Kentucky, is not hiring anyone yet, but its parent company Answers in Genesis asks employees to sign a faith statement including a belief in creationism and the flood. (Continues)

*Adopts Seinfeld shows Soup Nazi Voice* "No tax credit for you!"

Amazing isn't it? Atheist groups charge violations in the establishment clause if anyone receiving any kind of government funding or credits embraces anything religious as cause to sue. And threaten they do. And they make headlines and usually back down religious people who bow to the demands to not do this or that for fear of ending up in court.

Now instead of a bunch of godless hacks, here we have KY state officials threatening they'll revoke tax credits if a religious themed park insists on holding to its religious beliefs by extending those to its hiring practices that support the theme of the entire business.

The worlds going to Hell I tell ya. And it's being guided there by stupid people in power.
                      AFAICT, it wasn't for the employees who would be conducting tours and the like but rather requiring those involved in the construction to swear they were young earth creationists. I can understand wanting folks who believe as you do explaining things to the public but why do you have to be a YEC to swing a hammer? Is Ken Ham and AnswersinGenesis (AiG) so scared that exposure to anyone that doesn't pass the YEC litmus test might lead to a crisis of YEC faith? Or so paranoid that worries about sabotage?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        Canada doesn't have Sherbert, apparently.

USA! USA! USA!
                        Apparently you can be any other faith than Christian in Canada and not be limited by rules and regulations. Many schools, at least in Ontario, allow Muslim students to do all their prayer times right in the schools, disrupting classes and all. Etc.

In my own province, legislation is in the works to force Christian schools to have clubs for "sexually different" students. The schools argue that they don't stop these groups from forming, so why does there have to be legislation forcing it.

Churches and pastors have been sued for refusing to perform same gender marriage, even though when the law was brought in regarding such we were assured that Christians and other faiths that are against it would be able to refuse without penalty. And the believers are losing the lawsuits.

Those are just a couple of examples of the inequality regarding faith in this country. Trust me, it will be coming to your country soon enough.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Not, this:

For several decades, the judicial "tests" related to the Establishment and Free Exercise clauses of the First Amendment were Lemon and Sherbert, respectively.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Not, this:

Technically though, it's sherbet not sherbert.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Technically though, it's sherbet not sherbert.
                              No matter how you spell it, it's nasty stuff.
                              We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment