Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Animal abuse registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal abuse registry

A Michigan sheriff has proposed an animal abuse registry, with registrants being barred from subsequently obtaining animals. Thinking about it, I'm surprised I haven't heard anybody propose something like this before.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/10/08/michiga...buse-registry/
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

It has been proposed before in my experience, but I could not point to the case.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Is killing an animal an abuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
        Is killing an animal an abuse?
        William Lane Craig takes the angle of distinguishing between killing animals so that they can be used for a purpose (as humans have dominion) and torturing them for fun, which serves no useful purpose.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          William Lane Craig takes the angle of distinguishing between killing animals so that they can be used for a purpose (as humans have dominion) and torturing them for fun, which serves no useful purpose.

And if I had my way there wouldn't be things like horse racing, dog racing, circuses, etc... Animals should not be use for entertainment - maybe get rid of zoos too.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Great, let's take away their animals so they can go ahead and move on to abusing humans. Yeah, treating a symptom works so much better than treating the cause...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Great, let's take away their animals so they can go ahead and move on to abusing humans. Yeah, treating a symptom works so much better than treating the cause...
              What alternative would you suggest?

Comment

That seems to veer too close to condoning animal abuse as a stand-in for human abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  "treating the cause" would be what she is suggesting.

It has been frequently demonstrated that people who start off abusing animals often end up abusing/killing people. We should actually be addressing that.

(I have no problem with the idea of a register)
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    "treating the cause" would be what she is suggesting.

It has been frequently demonstrated that people who start off abusing animals often end up abusing/killing people. We should actually be addressing that.

(I have no problem with the idea of a register)
                    That would mean a difference in how the abuser is treated by the justice system. I agree, but I'm wondering where she's heading. I would overhaul the entire system and don't see this area as a possible chink in the armor to be chipped at (as opposed to cases with more obvious avenues of change like drug charges and gang violence, which have made headway already).

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Stop making registries and start enforcing existing statutes. Enough 'Big Brother' crap.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That seems to veer too close to condoning animal abuse as a stand-in for human abuse.
                        To a point, yes - because depriving the depraved of an outlet MINUS any counseling or other intervention (jail time, whatever works) is begging to escalate the abuse from animals to people - and in a lot of cases those will be little defenseless people. As much as I love animals, if we're going to do something that makes it a choice between animal or human, animal loses.

Better plan, use the existing laws to prosecute effectively and use that time to intervene and try to stop the person from acting out by abusing things, animal or people.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

A Michigan sheriff has proposed an animal abuse registry, with registrants being barred from subsequently obtaining animals. Thinking about it, I'm surprised I haven't heard anybody propose something like this before.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/10/08/michiga...buse-registry/
                          Amen. Long overdue. Maybe if this happens other states will follow.

sigpic
                          "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                          Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Stop making registries and start enforcing existing statutes. Enough 'Big Brother' crap.
                            There is definitely an issue of animal cruelty charges not being pursued, like with animals bred for human consumption or puppy farms. I don't know how much that overlaps with individual cases rather than organizational cases. What sort of statutes are not being enforced?

Comment

Define animals bred for human consumption ...
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment