Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

illegal immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Shouldn't that be 'spiracy'?

Nope. We're all Sparko, so piracy.

Arrrrrr. Rum and bacon.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

Arrrrrr. Rum and bacon.
      As the scripture states:

There are three that bear record on TheologyWeb--square_peg, Spartacus and Sparko--and these three are one. (1 Sparko 5:7)
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• SP and Spart, I am away for the rest of today and tomorrow, so won't be making any substantive replies to you until Sunday evening at the earliest.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• No prob Raph - substance kinda left the building...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
            Then why not call them "illegal immigrants" or even "illegal aliens" rather than merely "illegals?"
            for the most part I do. The point is "illegals" is just a shorthand for "illegal immigrants" and everyone knows it and has no problem with it. That you do, shows that you are just picking nits or are completely clueless.

Two things here:

1) "Liberal" nowadays refers to types of political beliefs, and beliefs are characteristics of people. To be a person is to hold beliefs (unless one is in a vegetative state). So to merely refer to people as "liberals" is not particularly problematic, because the definition of the word and nature of beliefs makes it clear that people are in question here. But "illegal" is not a characteristic of human beings. To be a person is not to be "illegal," whatever that means.

2) I've already told you multiple times that I'm NOT a liberal. In this thread, I explained that I don't even strongly believe either way on the immigration issue. I was merely asking for a compassionate approach, which (based on the responses in this thread) many conservatives on this site seem to often lack for some reason.

No, I would be the first to say that I'm not an expert at everything, or even most things. I comment only on the things that I do know a thing or two about. And on these issues, you often ignore much of what I say or refuse to even take the time to understand what I'm saying.

Meanwhile, you didn't complain in the slightest when I commented on a wealth of complex apologetics issues on the old site. You never said "You're just a teenager yet you think you're an expert at everything." Interesting how you only become nasty and dismissive towards me when I comment on things that you disagree with.
            I only become dismissive toward you when you act like you know it all, but it is obvious that you don't. I have not be nasty to you. The only real insult I used in this thread towards you was to make a point, which you seem to have gotten since you are still complaining about it.

This is a debate web site. People will disagree and use rhetoric with one another. If you need someone to be nice to you all of the time, or to hold your hand, then perhaps this is not the right place for you. At least in Civics 201.

Comment

The Christians adopted the term themselves and chose to re-appropriate its meaning into something positive. The people who immigrated here unlawfully have not chosen to do the same about the term "illegals."

In your example sentence, you were using it as an intransitive verb. Besides, even in the noun form, it's not quite the same thing as the "illegals" issue, because speeding is ultimately an act itself while "illegal" merely describes certain acts.

It's an accurate description of his immigration status, but referring to the person by an adjective used to describe his immigration status seems to essentially reduce him to a mere status.

I understand that you don't have ill intentions, but it still sounds cringeworthy reading it and then imagining it being spoken out loud.
              are you trying to be a grammar nazi now?

And big surprise that an illegal alien doesn't like being called illegal.

Comment

Arrrrrr. Rum and bacon.
                I am not me.

Comment

Who exactly has been "victimized" by the immigrants, and what do you mean by "victimized?"
                  For one, lost jobs because illegal immigrants will work for lower wages and not complain. It's actually bad for everyone. The illegal immigrant gets treated like a slave, and legal immigrants and citizens end up without jobs.

Comment

Who exactly has been "victimized" by the immigrants, and what do you mean by "victimized?"
                    The people whose wages are destroyed and jobs are replaced. To say nothing of the victims of violent crime that low class Mexicans always bring with them and happily tolerate, just like they do in Mexico.
                    Last edited by Darth Executor; 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      The people whose wages are destroyed, jobs are replaced. To say nothing of the victims of violent crime that low class Mexicans always bring with them and happily tolerate here, just like they do in Mexico.
                      When will I be able to Amen a post? Well said.

(Is that Queen Elizabeth 1st in your avatar?)

sigpic
                      "Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                      Marcus Aurelius

Comment

So New Zealand also has special considerations for immigration by other people of their region-- that's something else that's not part of the American system.
                        What? The US allows grossly disproportionate numbers of Mexicans to legally immigrate.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Country Sparrow View Post
                          When will I be able to Amen a post? Well said.

(Is that Queen Elizabeth 1st in your avatar?)
                          What happens when you try?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            What happens when you try?
                            There's no icon or anything showing wherein it indicates I can "Amen" someone. There's just the "report" glyph on the bottom left of a person's reply. And the typical "reply, reply with quote, multi-quote" buttons on the right. That's it. I figured I had to have a certain post count in order to Amen someone.

Edit: And after I post this there appears the little smiley Amen face on the bottom left of the post above. Cool beans. :)

sigpic
                            Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              For one, lost jobs because illegal immigrants will work for lower wages and not complain. It's actually bad for everyone. The illegal immigrant gets treated like a slave, and legal immigrants and citizens end up without jobs.
                              And yet, there is no minimum wage on certain area's of the labor force. Like field work. Which is the typical area of argument by illegal immigration proponents who claim those jobs are not only something American's wouldn't want, but were they to invest in applying for those jobs produce would skyrocket due to the minimum wage regulations governing their employment. But that's not the case.

Jobless American's can certainly apply for field work, no minimum wage law applies, and take back the labor force American's have every right to populate. If there are no opportunities for illegals to exploit in America chances are better that they'll stop coming here.

They're illegally occupying our country. It's tantamount to a slow progressive invasion. And now that they're sending their unaccompanied minors, who aren't being sent back nut are being illegally absorbed secretly into the states by the deplorable efforts of the Fed, those illegals will grow up in this nation and be yet another factor in that occupation. Not to mention that those states they're now being bussed to are finding respiratory illnesses are breaking out in the public schools they stand to have been enrolled in.

It's like the Blaze radio program foresaw when this leg of illegal invasion by minors started months ago. They'll enter in, those are captured will be taken to detention centers, then those will become over populated, so they'll then be bussed elsewhere to facilities that can sustain their numbers. Then when the autumn arrives and American public school starts the liberals will argue those illegal children can't be deprived of an education, so they'll be enrolled in school. And by then those same liberals will argue we can't uproot them now after the trauma they've suffered by illegally entering into the nation, being shuttled about, and with no real roots to put down, so they'll say those illegal children are entitled to amnesty. "Think of the children!"

Think of the cartels that are sending their child soldiers to America! Think of the drainage of our resources to support unlawful presence of illegal unaccompanied minors who otherwise, were they American's, would have to be returned to their parents if they were runaways. Think of loading them on buses after they're photographed, finger printed, DNA swabbed for an illegal's registry, and then put on planes and returned across the border.
                              Landing, they await recovery by their parents at a central location. While Mexico and other area's of central and south America broadcast the flight manifest, with pictures of the child, and their location for recovery, all over television. While the last expense America undertakes is an on-line database that shows a map and a registry of deported illegal kids and where they can be recovered by their parent(s) south of our border.

Think of that!
                              Then vote for it!

sigpic
                              Marcus Aurelius

Comment

The Christians adopted the term themselves and chose to re-appropriate its meaning into something positive. The people who immigrated here unlawfully have not chosen to do the same about the term "illegals."

In your example sentence, you were using it as an intransitive verb. Besides, even in the noun form, it's not quite the same thing as the "illegals" issue, because speeding is ultimately an act itself while "illegal" merely describes certain acts.

It's an accurate description of his immigration status, but referring to the person by an adjective used to describe his immigration status seems to essentially reduce him to a mere status.

I understand that you don't have ill intentions, but it still sounds cringeworthy reading it and then imagining it being spoken out loud.
                                Acting like a king where you word is law again? And you wonder why I sarcastically call you 'your majesty'?
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment