Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

illegal immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Ah, the disadvantages of cold, hard cash.
    Convert it to NERF dollars, for a more restful night's sleep!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Sounds like a better idea than issuing poor people mortgages they won't ever be able to pay off.
      Both ideas stink out loud.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We've got 12 million bank robbers in the country?

I'm going to need a bigger mattress.
        I always pictured you as sleeping on a bed of nails supported by the souls of all the babies that you've eaten.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Both ideas stink out loud.
          Of course they do. One idea came from Congress, the other from Sparko
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Ah, the disadvantages of cold, hard cash.
            Try converting it to paper money rather than all the tip money that you steal from poor Thirsty (pennies).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Try converting it to paper money rather than all the tip money that you steal from poor Thirsty (pennies).
              Wait, I thought you guys convinced TP that washers were money? That last tip jar had two hundred washers and five wingnuts. When did...

Oh wait...

Never mind, nothing to see here....
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                *emphasis mine

I'm gonna remember this for the next time we debate this topic.
                I hope you do. I've found that debates tend to be more productive (though perhaps less entertaining to watch) when I recognize the limits of my own perspective.

Comment

I will - it explains several things
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Sounds like a better idea than issuing poor people mortgages they won't ever be able to pay off.
                    One has nothing to do with the other. You are just changing the subject instead of dealing with it. You seem to think that since illegals cause problems in this country, we should accommodate them by letting them stay in the country they entered illegally. My analogy stands. If bank robbers cause problems, we don't accommodate them by giving them free money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      One has nothing to do with the other. You are just changing the subject instead of dealing with it. You seem to think that since illegals cause problems in this country, we should accommodate them by letting them stay in the country they entered illegally. My analogy stands. If bank robbers cause problems, we don't accommodate them by giving them free money.
                      You're comparing a violation of civil law with a violent crime-- the analogy doesn't work.

Comment

You're comparing a violation of civil law with a violent crime-- the analogy doesn't work.
                        Yes it does. In fact in your initial post you even mention the rise in crime caused by illegals.

But anyway, it is an ANALOGY, which I am sure you know is not meant to a be point-by-point comparison. The analogous part is that you don't reward people for causing the problem by their illegal actions in the first place. All that does is encourage people to break the law more.

Comment

Make the bank robbers into hackers. End of problem, Dodge Boy...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Softer than what?
                            Well softer than deportation. (which is what would happen in NZ of I had been an illegal immigrant/overstayer (term used here for people who have exceeded their visa term). Of course it helps that are an island nation.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I like the process you went through, though it could probably be streamlined somewhat -- that makes MUCH more sense than what we have.
                              Oh I could have applied for the Permanent Residency from SA and skipped the work visa, but that takes 6 months to process, and you get more points (so are selected faster) if you already have a job.
                              And you have to have had PR for 5 years, and been in country for the majority of each year to get citizenship.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                                Congratulations on getting citizenship, fellow countryman.
                                Thank-you.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment