Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gay Marriage: Is the Debate Over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Marriage: Is the Debate Over?

I would say yes, and we who support the holy and Biblical model lost.

By Lawrence Hurley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to decide once and for all whether states can ban gay marriage, a surprise move that will allow gay men and women to marry in five states where same-sex weddings were previously forbidden.

By rejecting appeals in cases involving Virginia, Oklahoma, Utah, Wisconsin and Indiana, the court left intact lower-court rulings that had struck down the bans in those states. But the high court's action means there will be no imminent national ruling on the issue, with litigation in states where gay marriage is still banned likely to continue.
    http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-...135144175.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The debate never even happened. On the Left, it is assumed that the full acceptance and integration of LGBT people into society depends on recognizing their relationships as marriages, while on the Right, many of the people who argued for a strong marriage culture were either using the argument as a cover for their homophobia or otherwise did not demonstrate any commitment to the integrity of marriage in their personal lives.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

The 'Biblical model' lost out long ago in your country when no-fault divorce was instituted, if not much earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        The debate never even happened. On the Left, it is assumed that the full acceptance and integration of LGBT people into society depends on recognizing their relationships as marriages, while on the Right, many of the people who argued for a strong marriage culture were either using the argument as a cover for their homophobia or otherwise did not demonstrate any commitment to the integrity of marriage in their personal lives.
        That is just silly. First, I'm not sure what you mean by homophobia since it is to broadly defined by the left, and second one can support traditional marriage even if they struggled with their own marriage.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          The 'Biblical model' lost out long ago in your country when no-fault divorce was instituted, if not much earlier.
          I think no-fault divorce was the beginning - I am not a Catholic but this is exactly what the Catholic Church warned about when no-fault divorce came into vogue in the 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            No-fault divorce is when it got institutional support, but we had already moved in the direction of seeing marriage as primarily about romance.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              That is just silly. First, I'm not sure what you mean by homophobia since it is to broadly defined by the left, and second one can support traditional marriage even if they struggled with their own marriage.
              Homophobia is broadly defined because it doesn't always manifest itself in the same ways.

When I was in grade school, it was my impression that "gay marriage" was one of those things democrats secretly believed in but were embarrassed to admit to, but on the Republican side, the "defense of marriage" was more about keeping it safe from THE GAYS than it was about making sure every child had the chance to be loved by their own mother and father.

Comment

No-fault divorce is when it got institutional support, but we had already moved in the direction of seeing marriage as primarily about romance.
                Ergo "if not much earlier".

Comment

There is no such disease as homophobia!!! What the hell happened to you Spartacus?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Homophobia is broadly defined because it doesn't always manifest itself in the same ways.
                    It is a non-existent disease/diagnosis. That makes it nothing more than a slanderous insulting term.

When I was in grade school, it was my impression that "gay marriage" was one of those things democrats secretly believed in but were embarrassed to admit to, but on the Republican side, the "defense of marriage" was more about keeping it safe from THE GAYS than it was about making sure every child had the chance to be loved by their own mother and father.
                    Then your school was imbecilic.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I would say yes, and we who support the holy and Biblical model lost.

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-...135144175.html
                      This once again proves the cowardice of the highest court in determining once and for all that the state's interests in the legal recognition of marriage is to encourage the optimum environment for rearing children, and nothing more. It's a pathetic cop-out, and each of those robed clowns should be impeached for their dereliction of duty.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        This once again proves the cowardice of the highest court in determining once and for all that the state's interests in the legal recognition of marriage is to encourage the optimum environment for rearing children, and nothing more. It's a pathetic cop-out, and each of those robed clowns should be impeached for their dereliction of duty.
                        Yes, I do agree that they were cowards. Even if they ruled in favor of Gay marriage it would have been good to air out the debate.

Comment

Yes, and if you supported traditional marriage, for any reason, even legitimate reasons, you are labeled homophobic.

Comment

Yes, I do agree that they were cowards. Even if they ruled in favor of Gay marriage it would have been good to air out the debate.
                            And since the language in the Appeals Court here in VA was so vague, the justification of "marriage being a fundamental human right", marriages of convenience for benefits only are now perfectly legal.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              And since the language in the Appeals Court here in VA was so vague, the justification of "marriage being a fundamental human right", marriages of convenience for benefits only are now perfectly legal.
                              As will be polygamy.

Comment