Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

San Antonio makes being charitable illegal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Antonio makes being charitable illegal.

Wow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...or-5730971.php

Apparently it is illegal to panhandle in most public places in San Antonio, and now they want to make it illegal to give money or other items to beggars too.

That's going a wee bit far.

What about "free meals"/"free room" cards issued by charities?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      What about "free meals"/"free room" cards issued by charities?
      I think charities can still help, but not personal gifts of money or items. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I think charities can still help, but not personal gifts of money or items. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
        We know of several Churches that used to serve meals to the homeless, but the government shut them down because they weren't "licensed as commercial kitchens"... they weren't SELLING meals, they were GIVING THEM AWAY, but.....

The government can't manage taking care of poor people, so they make it nearly impossible for Churches or individuals to do so.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          We know of several Churches that used to serve meals to the homeless, but the government shut them down because they weren't "licensed as commercial kitchens"... they weren't SELLING meals, they were GIVING THEM AWAY, but.....

The government can't manage taking care of poor people, so they make it nearly impossible for Churches or individuals to do so.
          The motto of government:

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait till you see our solutions."
          http://www.despair.com/government.html

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            The motto of government:

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait till you see our solutions."
            http://www.despair.com/government.html

Amen, kid.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

This is a situation where it's absolutely permissible to say "frak you!" to the Law.

Comment

From what I remember of San Antonio, I'm guessing they're doing this because the career panhandlers were at every major freeway intersection, turnaround, gas station, and fast food place with a drive-through. I'll bet dollars to fishrags they take more in during a normal day than the poor guys still trying to sell newspapers, of all things(why would you ever?) but the law sounds like it's more motivated by worry over a recognized traffic hazard than anything else.

That and tourist towns tend to have uneasy relationships with their panhandlers at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                  From what I remember of San Antonio, I'm guessing they're doing this because the career panhandlers were at every major freeway intersection, turnaround, gas station, and fast food place with a drive-through. I'll bet dollars to fishrags they take more in during a normal day than the poor guys still trying to sell newspapers, of all things(why would you ever?) but the law sounds like it's more motivated by worry over a recognized traffic hazard than anything else.

That and tourist towns tend to have uneasy relationships with their panhandlers at best.
                  yeah we have that problem too. But the solution is not to make it illegal to ask for or receive help. The solution is to arrest the scam artists.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    yeah we have that problem too. But the solution is not to make it illegal to ask for or receive help. The solution is to arrest the scam artists.
                    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Seriously, tone down the racism.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                      Edited by a Moderator
                      Get out of my thread Epo. I am sick of you dragging racism into every thread you post in.

In fact, I have reported your post.
                      Last edited by QuantaFille; 09-26-2014, 03:01 PM. Reason: Quoting edited text

Comment