Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White cop shoots unarmed Black Man at Gas Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White cop shoots unarmed Black Man at Gas Station

Yes! It's another "White Cop shoots Black Man" thread. (yay)

But the reason I am posting this one is that I think this is one that we can all agree shows a bad cop making a bad call. I see no evidence of racism, just bad police work.

http://www.wistv.com/story/26621563/...olved-shooting

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

The Fifth Circuit Solicitor's Office released dash cam video in a trooper-involved shooting earlier this month.
    The shooting happened in the parking lot of a Circle K on Broad River Road Sept. 4 after Lance Cpl. Sean Groubert pulled Levar Edward Jones over for a seatbelt violation.

In the video released Wednesday night, Groubert asks for Jones' license. Jones then checks his back pocket before going back to his vehicle.

Groubert then fires several shots at Jones before Jones falls to the ground.

While Jones is on the ground with a gunshot wound to the hip, he asks Groubert "What did I do, sir?"

Groubert then asks Jones if he was hit.

"I don't know what happened," Jones says in the video. "I just grabbed my license."

Groubert explains to Jones the reason he shot at him was because Jones dove head first in the vehicle.

The officer asks him for his license and registration, so the man leans in to get it, and the officer seems to panic and starts shooting.

[The cop was fired and is facing high and aggravated assault charges and could get up to 20 years in prison]

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But the reason I am posting this one is that I think this is one that we can all agree shows a bad cop making a bad call. I see no evidence of racism, just bad
    I think some of these cops are just scared crapless all the time - and if that is the case they shouldn't be cops.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I think some of these cops are just scared crapless all the time - and if that is the case they shouldn't be cops.
      Some of it is poor training... here's the classic video of this woman cop who obviously had her FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, and with adrenalin flowing, didn't realize she was actually pulling on the trigger, discharging her weapon accidentally near the head of this man who was already restrained. In almost EVERY picture you see of combat soldiers, their index finger is STRAIGHT along the side of the weapon, not inside the trigger guard, unless they fully intend to discharge a round. If this woman had utilized that practice, her gun would not have accidentally discharged.

This is complicated by the very sensitive "pull" of most semi-auto triggers. It didn't happen NEARLY as often with revolvers.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've heard that there's something called 'Glock-knee' among cops who shoot themseves while drawing their sensitive trigger semi-automatic pistols from their holster.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          I've heard that there's something called 'Glock-knee' among cops who shoot themseves while drawing their sensitive trigger semi-automatic pistols from their holster.
          Hadn't heard of that, (but it's out there!) but wouldn't surprise me.

I always carried a .357 Ruger Security Six* (revolver), but I remember the move toward semi-autos.... and the controversy about how to carry them... I remember the discussion "they need to be ready to fire, safety OFF, one in the chamber, hammer back...." and thought that was just BEGGING for an accident.

*actually, I just remembered I started off with a .38 S&W, and we had to fight city council to be allowed to carry the .357 magnums!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            I sometimes have a hard time bending over without brushing against my pocket and hitting my car alarm on my keychain, so I could only imagine...
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's interesting that with the closeness of the cop, and all the shots fired, only one even hits and it is in the guy's hip. The officer was obviously panicked. He told the guy to get his license while he [the cop] was still getting out of his own car. He should have waited until he got to the man's vehicle and had the situation under control before asking. I think he realized that he had done that wrong as soon as the guy leaned into his car, and the cop panicked and started shooting.

Yeah, bad training, or just pure bad judgment. But he didn't do the stop right at all. Especially if he was stopping the guy for a seatbelt violation. Which, even that I don't see. The cop obviously never saw the man until he was at the gas station and getting out of his car. He didn't see him on the road (unless that happened earlier) and of course you would have your seat belt off if you were getting out of your car.

I do know one thing though. If you are stopped and pulled over by a cop for any reason, don't do anything and keep you hands on the wheel until he walks up. Then slowly open the window and wait for instructions. Never lean over out of sight before the cop gets to your car, or reach for your registration, etc.

Comment

I do know one thing though. If you are stopped and pulled over by a cop for any reason, don't do anything and keep you hands on the wheel until he walks up. Then slowly open the window and wait for instructions. Never lean over out of sight before the cop gets to your car, or reach for your registration, etc.
                MOST cops will recognize this as your respect for them, and concern for your own safety, and it MAY even tip the scale in favor of a warning rather than a citation! The only thing I would change is open your window BEFORE he approaches your vehicle and turn your car off, and be sitting there with your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight.

Turning your car off eases his mind that you're going to suddenly take off.

Also, if you are a concealed carry licensee (like I am ) be sure to tell the officer "up front". ("I am a concealed carry licensee, and I AM (or AM NOT) carrying")

Comment

So no "I smell Bacon behind me" bumper stickers?

Comment

So no "I smell Bacon behind me" bumper stickers?
                    Only if you were driving in a strong tailwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Also, if you are a concealed carry licensee (like I am ) be sure to tell the officer "up front". ("I am a concealed carry licensee, and I AM (or AM NOT) carrying")
                      I'd read somewhere (don't remember where) that you should not volunteer this info, but should instead give it if asked. But since you were a cop, I'm more inclined to take your advice.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        I'd read somewhere (don't remember where) that you should not volunteer this info, but should instead give it if asked. But since you were a cop, I'm more inclined to take your advice.
                        It's probably on a State by State basis... in Texas, you are REQUIRED to inform the officer. AND, it's POSSIBLE that has changed recently even in Texas, as that information is now available to the officer when he does his radio check of your driver's license. I'll check.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          It's probably on a State by State basis... in Texas, you are REQUIRED to inform the officer. AND, it's POSSIBLE that has changed recently even in Texas, as that information is now available to the officer when he does his radio check of your driver's license. I'll check.
                          I have no problem doing it either way, I just don't want to accidentally do something that would spook him.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            I think some of these cops are just scared crapless all the time - and if that is the case their commissioners should be fired and them and anyone assoicated with them banned from public service jobs for life for making such poor hiring and training decisions.
                            A society-wide problem is not solved by playing musical chairs with the pieces at the bottom.

Comment

But the reason I am posting this one is that I think this is one that we can all agree shows a bad cop making a bad call. I see no evidence of racism, just bad police work.

http://www.wistv.com/story/26621563/...olved-shooting

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

The Fifth Circuit Solicitor's Office released dash cam video in a trooper-involved shooting earlier this month.
                              The shooting happened in the parking lot of a Circle K on Broad River Road Sept. 4 after Lance Cpl. Sean Groubert pulled Levar Edward Jones over for a seatbelt violation.

In the video released Wednesday night, Groubert asks for Jones' license. Jones then checks his back pocket before going back to his vehicle.

Groubert then fires several shots at Jones before Jones falls to the ground.

While Jones is on the ground with a gunshot wound to the hip, he asks Groubert "What did I do, sir?"

Groubert then asks Jones if he was hit.

"I don't know what happened," Jones says in the video. "I just grabbed my license."

Groubert explains to Jones the reason he shot at him was because Jones dove head first in the vehicle.

The officer asks him for his license and registration, so the man leans in to get it, and the officer seems to panic and starts shooting.

[The cop was fired and is facing high and aggravated assault charges and could get up to 20 years in prison]
                              I typically consider the phrase 'bad cop' to have connotations of dishonesty or corruption, so I don't think I'd call him that without knowing more about him.

But he obviously made the wrong decision here. I think the situation's tragic on both ends: (1) an innocent civilian was shot, and (2) a man has lost his career and is probably facing prison time because he panicked for a few short seconds. Its so disheartening to read stuff like this.
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment