Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

German ethics council calls for the legalization of incest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German ethics council calls for the legalization of incest

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-9753506.html

Discuss.

Epo and DE are asked not to post in this thread.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

It was bound to happen.

By the way, why do you want Epo and DE to refrain from posting here?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      By the way, why do you want Epo and DE to refrain from posting here?
      To avoid a massive derailment that leads to this thread getting shut down like Zymologist's thread.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think this is just the next step from the allowance of same sex unions. If one why not the other?
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-9753506.html

Discuss.

Epo and DE are asked not to post in this thread.
          And who didn't see this coming! I have been saying this would happen since the late 90s.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Practically speaking, I doubt very many people would actually take advantage of this new law. It largely boils down to whether "it's disgusting" is a good enough reason for the law. Yeah, one reason for the laws is because of the horrible effects of interbreeding, but then that raises the questions of why same-sex incest is still banned (because that rationale doesn't apply) and why people with genetic defects aren't banned from having sex.

As for myself... I still wouldn't legalize it.

Comment

There is no secular reason to deny it.

Water Slide anyone??
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                I think this is just the next step from the allowance of same sex unions. If one why not the other?
                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Slippery slope argument here.

Comment

There seem to be a fair number of Christians online with generally libertarian views. I wonder what their take will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    It didn't say anything about allowing incestuous marriages. The council just decriminalized the act of incest, a move that I don't find problematic. I don't think people should ever engage in incest, just like I don't think people should ever smoke tobacco, but if they do, the government shouldn't be allowed to arrest them for it.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

It seems to be an example of 'ack, bad thing happened, let's toss out bathwater, baby and all!'. Germany is being stupid - just amend the existing law to allow a humanitarian exception for adults who don't know they are siblings until they've already been married/sexually active. That protects the tiny minority from being victimized for an honest mistake and doesn't open the flood gates to 'anything goes'.

Alabama still has pocket communities where incest is prevalent. The rates of mental impairment are astronomical and the chances of any of the kids getting out of those areas without assistance are negligible. Only an idiot would think legalizing incest was a good idea.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        It seems to be an example of 'ack, bad thing happened, let's toss out bathwater, baby and all!'. Germany is being stupid - just amend the existing law to allow a humanitarian exception for adults who don't know they are siblings until they've already been married/sexually active. That protects the tiny minority from being victimized for an honest mistake and doesn't open the flood gates to 'anything goes'.

Alabama still has pocket communities where incest is prevalent. The rates of mental impairment are astronomical and the chances of any of the kids getting out of those areas without assistance are negligible. Only an idiot would think legalizing incest was a good idea.
                        Is it illegal in the USA? I mean I know they can't get married or anything, but if two siblings wanted to live together in incest, and were caught, would they be arrested?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Is it illegal in the USA? I mean I know they can't get married or anything, but if two siblings wanted to live together in incest, and were caught, would they be arrested?
                          Depends on the state, in some, yes, it's illegal but prosecution is rare. Now, whether its rare because it rarely occurs or rare because prosecutors don't bother, I do not know.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I agree with this. I just wonder how an allowance like you described could be written in legal language.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              I agree with this. I just wonder how an allowance like you described could be written in legal language.

Unterabschnitt a.234: das obige nicht anzuwenden, wenn die Menschen heiraten in gutem Glauben im Glauben, sie sind nicht miteinander verknüpft und sind keine Geschwister.*

It was Germany, after all...

This is why we pay staffers - it's not that hard, really.

*Subsection a.234: the above doesn't apply if the individuals marry in good faith believing they are unrelated and are not siblings.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment