Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas rural Conservative racism - Calvin Beckett in the movie American Violet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas rural Conservative racism - Calvin Beckett in the movie American Violet.

I watched the movie American Violet today, and it revealed that overt radical racism still persists in America today, particularly in rural America.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Violet

Set in the midst of the 2000 presidential election, American Violet tells the story of a young mother named Dee Roberts (Nicole Beharie), a 24 year-old African-American single mother of four living in the town of Melody (based on Hearne, Texas, where the real incident took place). One day, while Dee is working a shift at the local diner, the powerful local district attorney (Michael O'Keefe) leads a group into the restaurant, sweeping Dee’s housing project. Police drag Dee from work in handcuffs and dump her in the women’s county prison. Indicted based on the uncorroborated word of a single and dubious police informant facing his own drug charges, Dee soon discovers she has been charged as a drug dealer.

Even though Dee has no prior drug record and no drugs were found on her in the raid or any subsequent searches, she is offered a hellish choice: plead guilty and go home as a convicted felon or remain in prison and fight the charges thus, jeopardizing her custody and risking a long prison sentence. Despite the urgings of her mother (Alfre Woodard), and with her freedom and the custody of her children at stake, she chooses to fight the district attorney. Dee works with an ACLU attorney (Tim Blake Nelson) and a former local narcotics officer (Will Patton) to take on the Texas justice system

The film is based on the civil rights lawsuit Regina Kelly v. John Paschall, filed on behalf of 15 African-American residents of Hearne, Texas who were indicted in November 2000 on drug charges after being rounded up in a series of drug sweeps the ACLU referred to as "paramilitary".[4] The lawsuit accused Paschall and the South Central Texas Narcotics Task Force of conducting racially motivated drug sweeps for more than 15 years in Hearne. In 2005, the ACLU and Robertson County settled and the plaintiffs agreed to dismiss the individuals named in the suit, including Paschall. The fictional Harmon County represents Robertson County, Texas, where John Paschall was defeated for reelection in 2012.[6] Regina Kelly continued to live in Hearne until 2009.

© Copyright Original Source

I lived in Oklahoma in the 1960's and graduated from OSU in 1970. My black friends and I experienced this problem in Oklahoma and when we visited Texas. Apparently things have not changed all that much.

Why have the Conservative powers in the America been silent and not spoken out against this in America?
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-24-2014, 10:45 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I watched the movie American Violet today, and it revealed that overt radical racism still persists in America today, particularly in rural America.
    I too get my general knowledge from Hollywood.

Set in the midst of the 2000 presidential election, American Violet tells the story of a young mother named Dee Roberts (Nicole Beharie), a 24 year-old African-American single mother of four living in the town of Melody (based on Hearne, Texas, where the real incident took place). One day, while Dee is working a shift at the local diner, the powerful local district attorney (Michael O'Keefe) leads a group into the restaurant, sweeping Dee’s housing project. Police drag Dee from work in handcuffs and dump her in the women’s county prison. Indicted based on the uncorroborated word of a single and dubious police informant facing his own drug charges, Dee soon discovers she has been charged as a drug dealer.

Even though Dee has no prior drug record and no drugs were found on her in the raid or any subsequent searches, she is offered a hellish choice: plead guilty and go home as a convicted felon or remain in prison and fight the charges thus, jeopardizing her custody and risking a long prison sentence. Despite the urgings of her mother (Alfre Woodard), and with her freedom and the custody of her children at stake, she chooses to fight the district attorney. Dee works with an ACLU attorney (Tim Blake Nelson) and a former local narcotics officer (Will Patton) to take on the Texas justice system.

What does racism have to do with this? What they did to her is no different from what liberals did to George Zimmerman. It's just typical prosecutor behavior.

The film is based on the civil rights lawsuit Regina Kelly v. John Paschall, filed on behalf of 15 African-American residents of Hearne, Texas who were indicted in November 2000 on drug charges after being rounded up in a series of drug sweeps the ACLU referred to as "paramilitary".[4] The lawsuit accused Paschall and the South Central Texas Narcotics Task Force of conducting racially motivated drug sweeps for more than 15 years in Hearne. In 2005, the ACLU and Robertson County settled and the plaintiffs agreed to dismiss the individuals named in the suit, including Paschall. The fictional Harmon County represents Robertson County, Texas, where John Paschall was defeated for reelection in 2012.[6] Regina Kelly continued to live in Hearne until 2009.

So the voters threw out the dirtbag? What exactly is the problem?

I lived in Oklahoma in the 1960's and graduated from OSU in 1970. My black friends and I experienced this problem in Oklahoma and when we visited Texas. Apparently things have not changed all that much.
    You were hauled in on dubious drug charges? Aren't you white?

Why have the Conservative powers in the America been silent and not spoken out against this in America?
    1. They have. You wouldn't know that because you get your news from Hollywood.
    2. Why are you and so many other liberal powers in America not only silent but actively working to suppress people's ability to defend themselves from black criminals? This seems like a much bigger scandal than dirtbag DA building a career on bullying people. It's not that hard to remove a dirtbag DA. Certainly easier than an inevitable civil war.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

What makes you think they haven't? And who in particular are you accusing of being the "Conservative powers"?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Oh yeah, a rogue prosecutor proves everything. Film at Eleven.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

There was a typo in the thread title. I fixed it. You're welcome.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

And why don't liberals speak out against those that openly call black Conservatives "Uncle Toms"?
            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              I too get my general knowledge from Hollywood.
              The movie is not just Hollywood, It is considered an accurate documentary of the facts.

The film stays fairly close to the details of the actual case, although it changes all the characters' names and takes some liberties with the case's transcripts, and other dialog. The progress of the case in the film proceeds as the real case did, including the reduction of bail for the defendant, the dropping of charges, and the eventual resolution of the case, although the film makes no mention of the financial portion of the settlement.[7] Some of the lawyers objected to the way they were portrayed.[7] In the film, the public defender urges the character named Dee Roberts to accept a plea bargain. The actual public defender claims he never tells innocent clients to take a plea.[7] Also, the actual lawyer that represented the District Attorney said the film was "more accurate than not," but objected to how his behavior was portrayed in the film during the deposition of the chief plaintiff. In the film, the character questions the plaintiff about her sexual history. The actual lawyer claims the questions were routine questions about her children and their fathers, and did not delve any further into the subject.[7] And the film shows the DA presiding over a hearing about custody of the defendant's children. Actually, the DA was present and spoke at the hearing, but did not determine custody.[7] The revelation during the film's climax, which led to the resolution of the case, was presented accurately, including the race of the deposing lawyer and the identity of the video witnesses, but the DA did not use the word "uppity" to describe the African American lawyer that was deposing him. And the actual legal team for the plaintiffs was much larger, consisting of about 25 lawyers, from a private law firm, working pro bono.

What does racism have to do with this? What they did to her is no different from what liberals did to George Zimmerman. It's just typical prosecutor behavior.
              There is no evidence that the 'liberals' did anything to George Zimmerman. It was a controversial shooting, he was tried and acquitted in a legal and proper trial.

The record of Roberson County, Texas speaks for itself. The movie accurately cites a documented history of racism in Robeson County. It was clearly determined racism was a over whelming factor in the history of law enforcement and judicial proceedings against blacks, I will cite more not using the movie.

So the voters threw out the dirtbag? What exactly is the problem?
              Not really. he was reelected for several times up until 2012.

You were hauled in on dubious drug charges? Aren't you white?
              No I was not.

1. They have. You wouldn't know that because you get your news from Hollywood.
              Please document. Assertions do not count.

2. Why are you and so many other liberal powers in America not only silent but actively working to suppress people's ability to defend themselves from black criminals? This seems like a much bigger scandal than dirtbag DA building a career on bullying people. It's not that hard to remove a dirtbag DA. Certainly easier than an inevitable civil war.
              Not relevant at this point. You need to address the issues of the thread.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The movie is not just Hollywood, It is considered an accurate documentary of the facts.
                Why the heck do you need Hollywood when you've got me to summon the people who actually look into these things from all of the relevant sides of the issue?

Personally, and deriving from my past experience as an attorney, I am disturbed and troubled by my personal observations of the criminal justice system as well, though for different, racially-indifferent reasons that aren’t obsessed with the over-representation of one particular ethnicity. A ‘new equilibrium’ pits the efforts to expand the rights of the accused and reduce incarceration against various opposing trends and forces. And one of those trends that Stunz highlights has been to greatly amplify and expand the leverage and coercive power of prosecutors and police well past the point of prudence and reason in order to enable them to win cases.

This is especially the case with regards to the severity of modern sentencing, which is simultaneously necessary for public safety, but at the same time offends our modern sensibilities and intuitions to the point of seeming instinctively to be wildly disproportionate to many of the underlying offenses, regardless of their utility in producing socially beneficial deterrence and incapacitation.

I agree with Stunz and must concede the point that these expanded powers and immunities, while clearly prone to all sorts of abuse and tragic errors, are probably necessary to win cases that need to be won and, most of the time, should be won, and furthermore would have been won easily, quickly, and cheaply and without resort to coercive leverage prior to the Warren Court reforms, but which now require these extraordinary countermeasures.

The revelation during the film's climax, which led to the resolution of the case, was presented accurately, including the race of the deposing lawyer and the identity of the video witnesses, but the DA did not use the word "uppity" to describe the African American lawyer that was deposing him. And the actual legal team for the plaintiffs was much larger, consisting of about 25 lawyers, from a private law firm, working pro bono.

In other words, such a slam-dunk career-making easy case that an entire legal team dropped everything and descended upon it for free

I will never publicly admit that my allies, well-wishers, fellow-travelers, sympathizers and opportunists in the national government and media did anything to George Zimmerman. It was a manufactured controversy over the shooting, he was tried and acquitted in a legal and proper trial.
                Just as the appalling behavior of the black community encourages and practically necessitates this sort of prosecutorial and police overreach, so your appallingly fact-free asides demand immediate and stern correction by anyone with half an ounce of respect for reality as it is, though I appreciate and thank you for the last half of the sentence.

The record of Roberson County, Texas speaks for itself. The movie one-sidedly propagandizes a documented history of prosecutorial overreach which I'm going to call racism even though my wikipedia cite says the racist words and behavior were added for effect in Robeson County. It was clearly determined disproportionate criminal behavior and its covering up by the larger black society via a "no snitching" cultural policy that I would actually know about if I had any representative black friends was a over whelming factor in the history of law enforcement and judicial proceedings against blacks, I will cite more not using the movie.
                This gon' be good.

Not really. he was reelected for several times up until 2012.
                So I guess you have to respect the will of the people, then.

No I was not.
                Are you the "Chip" in the Dave Chapelle sketch? Did you tell the cop: "Officer, officer, it's all right, we're cool, I'm just a little high right now!" Did he say "go on, get out of here" in a half-apologetic tone afterward, impotent before your White Privilege?

Please document. Assertions do not count.
                You've got at least one link by an actual attorney in this response that I suggest you read before posting anything else.

Not relevant at this point. You need to address the issues of the thread.
                Not sure you can go for even one round of hatefacts before changing the subject, but let's see what you got.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                  And why don't liberals speak out against those that openly call black Conservatives "Uncle Toms"?
                  Or pitch a fit that the vast majority of blacks who are murdered are murdered by other blacks?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    What makes you think they haven't? And who in particular are you accusing of being the "Conservative powers"?
                    Any conservative organization will do. I have not seen any speak out against this.

Frank

Comment

Any conservative organization will do. I have not seen any speak out against this.
                      I've been busy speaking out against verb agreement abuses.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Or pitch a fit that the vast majority of blacks who are murdered are murdered by other blacks?
                        As before, so today:

Basically, the Brahmins have every possible Machiavellian interest in encouraging an invasion of Third World barbarians. The more, the nastier, the better. Their real hereditary enemy is the native barbarian - the half-civilized Vaisya, the ignorant megachurched Okie redneck, the Huckabee voter, the Bircher and McCarthyite, America Firster and Coolidge voter. In the dim, distant past, the spectre of Davis and Lee and Ben Hill looms grimly up.

They will take all the Huns they can get against this breed of barbarian. They are quite aware that if their real enemies ever seize real power, it's lamppost time. Huns are not available these days, but J.T. is. And if the nationalist, nativist American right ever regrows some little pocket of testicular tissue, he is one more speed bump they'll have to go through on their way to DC. It never hurts to have a few more well-armed thugs on your team. At least not if you're a progressive, and you believe in peace and love and hugs and puppies. Yes, we can!

Of course, I'm not saying that the people who believe in peace and love, etc, actually thought up this strategy and have secret meetings where they gloat about how well it's all working. They don't need to. However they explain it to themselves, yi yi zhi yi is what they're doing. And you can't exactly call it a failure.

Did you watch that Mandela video? The man next to Mandela is Joe Slovo. One of South Africa's leading progressives active in the liberation struggle. Or, as some might say, Communist terrorists. Do you wonder why this pasty-faced fellow is comfortable in a crowd full of people chanting "kill the whites?"

Actually, the captions on the video are mistranslated. The word in the song is amaBhulu, a Xhosa racial slur which refers not to all whites, but specifically to Afrikaners. Which Slovo (being a cosmopolitan Anglophone) is most definitely not. So the crowd is essentially chanting "kill the rednecks," ie, Slovo's hereditary tribal enemies. No wonder he has a smile on his face. Yi yi zhi yi.
                        Course, the type of people who live this way never tend to stick around post-revolution to see how their patrons are doing:

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          You know, I frequently see conservatives make this claim, but I've yet to see anyone clarify how it's relevant to any argument. Okay, so many black murder victims were killed at the hands of black perpetrators. And this logically extends from or leads to...what, exactly? This isn't an attack, just a question.
                          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                            You know, I frequently see conservatives make this claim, but I've yet to see anyone clarify how it's relevant to any argument. Okay, so many black murder victims were killed at the hands of black perpetrators. And this logically extends from or leads to...what, exactly? This isn't an attack, just a question.
                            Well every time a black person gets shot by a white person, it seems to automatically be called "racism"

Yet far more blacks are being killed by other blacks. Maybe instead of worrying about one or two killings a year that they claim is racism, and start riots over and scream how they are being victimized, they should be putting their efforts into solving the black against black killings.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiki
                              On May 11, 2005, the ACLU and Robertson County announced a confidential settlement of the lawsuit, an outcome which "both sides stated that they were satisfied with." District Attorney John Paschall dismissed the charges against the plaintiffs of the suit. He also admitted that the witness had tampered with evidence and failed a polygraph test.[6][7] A movie, "American Violet[FONT=sans-serif]", was made about the incident.
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearne%2C_Texas]Source

Yeah, so the witness provided the information and tampered with evidence therefore the prosecutor is a racist.

That SOOO does not follow logically. Incompetent and possibly corrupt, oh yeah; racist, not really.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment