Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas rural Conservative racism - Calvin Beckett in the movie American Violet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    No doubt racism exists, including people of color against whites.
    . . .but here is no significant evidence of racial profiling, and railroading prosecution of whites in the USA. Racism against blacks is pervasive today as throughout our history in law enforcement, and well documented.

I believe the people of Robison County Texas were fully aware of the prejudices, and fully conscious, when they reelected Paschall despite the well documented history of his racial profiling, and railroading prosecution of blacks, as the real drug dealers chuckled and continued their business. In reality no dealers were caught, nor prosecuted with large amounts of drugs in their possession in the sweep of the back community involved with the arrests and attempts to prosecute..
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-25-2014, 01:05 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      Actually, it seems that the protests are more about WHO those particular white people are. They're generally not random kids, but "neighborhood watchmen" or police officers--people who are by duty supposed to protect and serve the people, but instead end up killing them. You can argue elsewhere whether the killers in the incidents were warranted in doing so, but the fact is that many black people fear that the system is stacked against them--after all, if the people who are assigned to protect them (and PREVENT crimes within the community from occurring, mind you!) are those who kill them, then who is there left to trust?
      Haven't I already made the case that genocide or exile is the only true solution toward a human tribe, subculture, ethny, or race that's too distrustful and expensive to police with a population qualified enough to be police officers? Are you interested in continuing to make the case for me?

The vast majority of black-on-black violence doesn't involve people in positions of institutional authority seemingly abusing said authority. The intraracial crimes themselves are seen as problems on a personal level, whereas those particular white-on-black crimes are seen as failures on a social and institutional level. Hence, the difference in response.
      It's still disingenuous, because it's nine times out of ten a response made by people who don't have to deal with black people personally on a daily basis, and are thus completely incompetent to make any judgments on how they should be policed. No imprecations without representation, dude.

The truly disadvantaged people in that situation is white people from Spain, who have to live with the stigma of being seen as boring, sullen and mentally limited as Indios from Mexico. The stereotype are there because they're generally true in the experience of those making the judgments (lol at the guy saying "I apply for every job I feel qualified for,") and because people have to deal with the people they work with on a daily basis, so they'll be much, much more likely to remove people whom they're not likely to get along with from primary consideration.

I doubt that employers consciously think "That name sounds like it belongs to a minority! I'm not hiring that damn dirty [slur]!" But most of us may have a few unconscious prejudices and biases that can influence our behavior, as the first study demonstrated.
      The only people in whom it's 'unconscious' are liberals and pseudocons. Conservatives are generally merely honest about their beliefs about reality, and their judgments are, in fact, judgments, and not emotive panic decisions.

The participants probably don't consciously hate black people, but we live in a society in which the media (and perhaps some personal anecdotes) tend to present them in a negative light, frequently mentioning them in the context of violence and crime, and we develop automatic associations at an unconscious level, so that in pressure situations, the non-rational parts of our brain take over. These are examples of unconscious racism.
      Or, as in Donald Sterling's case, the customer base is highly likely to look askance at you for hiring them, especially if they themselves have been experiencing black people in their natural environment.

Meanwhile, studies have shown that propagating negative stereotypes about a group may, in a cruel self-fulfilling prophecy, actually worsen that group's performance. It's a phenomenon called "stereotype threat." When people feed negative stereotypes about a racial group, members of that racial group may psychologically "buy into it" and perform worse than they would've done otherwise. That's what I mean by indirect racism.
      It exists to some extent, but when controlled for, its influence is neither significant nor universal among races. Now bring some numbers on the actual effects of stereotype threat if you want to be taken seriously, because of course I already have them, and the postive effects of publicly acknowledging those stereotypes appears to outweigh the negative.

ETA: Indirect racism also refers to the lingering effects of racism from the antebellum period, Reconstruction era and Jim Crow era.
      In general, the horrendously poor day-to-day behavior of freed blacks did have a paradoxically uniting effect on Northern and Southern whites post-Civil War, yes. But once those actual experiences were dim in memory and prosperity clouded tradition's warnings, Americans slowly but surely went on right back to class rather than race demagoguery. These social moods are cyclical and should not be referenced as any sort of ongoing problem, especially as regards today's poor behavior, which lines up with genetics much more than history, though of course both affect each other. I would suggest reading a social scientist with an actual quantitative bent if you actually want reliable information on how those moods have passed through society before.

Comment

Is Epo a liberal Poe that intentionally posts extremist racist crap to make conservatives look bad? If so, he is doing an excellent job.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          . . .but here is no significant evidence of racial profiling, and railroading prosecution of whites in the USA. Racism against blacks is pervasive today as throughout our history in law enforcement, and well documented.
          There is often a good reason for racial profiling since percentage wise there is more and more violent crime in black and Latino neighborhoods. Often fueled by the drug trade.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There is often a good reason for racial profiling since percentage wise there is more and more violent crime in black and Latino neighborhoods. Often fueled by the drug trade.
            No, there has never been a good reason for racial profiling going by the evidence, and the history as in this example in Texas. None of those arrested in this case documented in the movie had in their possession large amounts of drugs, nor did they have a history of drug dealing, but there was an aggressive effort to prosecute them all. The only evidence against them was a questionable paid informant. It would be good for you to read the references and history of these cases.

By the way I live in a predominantly black, some Hispanics, low to middle income area, Fairview north end of Hillsborough, NC, that has been the victim of racial profiling in the past. There of course is some drug use and dealing in my neighborhood, but most are too poor to be major buyers, and most are very, very religious church goers. We do have a problem of outsiders, particularly whites cruising the neighbor hood looking for drugs. In fact my partner in my business of home repair and renovation is former high dollar drug dealer, and he did not operate in my neighborhood, because no money. His main clients were those that could afford it. Have lived in a world where all this takes place for more then seven years, and first person witness to both the criminals and the innocent.

I have witnessed heavy drug use in the downtown folks, particularly cannabis in the Jazz, Blues and Rock festivals, and at parties, they can afford it. Most cocaine use is in the bathroom and bedroom with the other antics. I do question their taste in quality cannabis by the pervasive smell.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-25-2014, 02:20 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

In fact my partner in my business of home repair and renovation is former high dollar drug dealer, and he did not operate in my neighborhood, because no money. His main clients were those that could afford it.
              Is he black?

Comment

No, there has never been a good reason for racial profiling going by the evidence, and the history as in this example in Texas. None of those arrested in this case documented in the movie had in their possession large amounts of drugs, nor did they have a history of drug dealing, but there was an aggressive effort to prosecute them all. The only evidence against them was a questionable paid informant. It would be good for you to read the references and history of these cases.

By the way I live in a predominantly black, some Hispanics, low to middle income area, Fairview north end of Hillsborough, NC, that has been the victim of racial profiling in the past. There of course is some drug use and dealing in my neighborhood, but most are too poor to be major buyers, and most are very, very religious church goers. We do have a problem of outsiders, particularly whites cruising the neighbor hood looking for drugs. In fact my partner in my business of home repair and renovation is former high dollar drug dealer, and he did not operate in my neighborhood, because no money. His main clients were those that could afford it. Have lived in a world where all this takes place for more then seven years, and first person witness to both the criminals and the innocent.

Oh stop it. My neighborhood is largely Latino, then Black, then white (we are the minority) and to be honest every crack house in my larger neighborhood has been run by African Americans. And there is good reasons for racial profiling, it works:

In New York City, blacks make up a quarter of the population, yet they represent 78 percent of all shooting suspects — almost all of them young men. We know them from the nightly news.

Those statistics represent the justification for New York City’s controversial stop-and-frisk program, which amounts to racial profiling writ large. After all, if young black males are your shooters, then it ought to be young black males whom the police stop and frisk. Still, common sense and common decency, not to mention the law, insist on other variables such as suspicious behavior. Even still, race is a factor, without a doubt. It would be senseless for the police to be stopping Danish tourists in Times Square just to make the statistics look good.
                http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...y.html?hpid=z2
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Oh stop it. My neighborhood is largely Latino, then Black, then white (we are the minority) and to be honest every crack house in my larger neighborhood has been run by African Americans. And there is good reasons for racial profiling, it works:
                  Oh come off it seer, there is no good reason for racial profiling. Please refer to the facts of the case, and stop playing Duck, Bob and Weave.

Not the subject of this thread, If you wish start a thread on this topic.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Is he black?
                    Yes, he is black. Does it make any difference? I have known and know dealers, reformed and presently dealing in the Hillsborough area.

Frank

Comment

Oh come off it seer, there is no good reason for racial profiling. Please refer to the facts of the case, and stop playing Duck, Bob and Weave.
                      No Shuny, I'm not saying that your particular case is a good thing, you can take it too far.

Not the subject of this thread, If you wish start a thread on this topic.
                      It fits in perfectly - racial profiling can be good and useful. As the stop and frisk program proved.

The program is controversial because most of those who are stopped and frisked are black or Latino. That is less surprising than it may sound: Most New Yorkers are black or Latino. Critics of stop-and-frisk allege that the program is racially biased because blacks and Latinos are stopped and frisked at rates disproportionate to their share of the population. In fact, they constitute 87 percent of the stop-and-frisk targets. It is not surprising that blacks and Latinos are stopped and frisked at rates higher than would be expected if the program were being randomly administered across the entire population — because the program is not random. It is applied most robustly in high-crime areas, which tend to be disproportionately black and Latino. It is applied in response to specific information, such as witness testimony. Noting that, Mayor Bloomberg argued that the stop-and-frisk program might be stopping blacks and Latinos too infrequently: More than 90 percent of those being sought in New York City murder cases are described as being black or Latino.
                      http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-works-editors

http://nypost.com/2012/07/24/how-sto...aved-new-york/

Comment

Yes, he is black. Does it make any difference? I have known and know dealers, reformed and presently dealing in the Hillsborough area.
                        Then I guess profiling works, huh?

Profiling doesn't say everyone that fits a profile is a criminal, it just uses known statistics to help identify and narrow down search parameters. You use profiling every time you look for something on google. Race is just another parameter, just like age, sex, location, type of car, etc.

Comment

Profiling doesn't say everyone that fits a profile is a criminal, it just uses known statistics to help identify and narrow down search parameters.
                          Back when I went to college we studied that in a course called "statistical analysis".
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Back when I went to college we studied that in a course called "statistical analysis".
                            Yeah.

It would be like witnesses to several bank robberies reporting the robbers driving away in a red sports car, and cops don't want to look biased so they search for green SUVs instead.

Comment

Yeah.

It would be like witnesses to several bank robberies reporting the robbers driving away in a red sports car, and cops don't want to look biased so they search for green SUVs instead.
                              Even today, when I hear on the radio "two black males in a brown pickup truck", I have to wonder how much longer we're going to be able to say "black". Probably a little longer, now that Holder is stepping down.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If I am traveling in a large city, and I have researched the crime stats in that city and learned that a disproportionately large number of muggings are committed by males, am I engaging in bigoted profiling if I am more wary around other males, rather than females, on the street?
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment