Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bombing of ISIS begins

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bombing of ISIS begins

    So last night the US and allies began bombing ISIS strongholds.

    Will this just be another Afghanistan/Taliban thing?

    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/23/world/...kes-explainer/


    (CNN) -- The United States and several Arab nations carried out airstrikes against ISIS in Syria early Tuesday, intensifying the campaign against the Islamic militant group.
    Tomahawk missiles launched from the sea began the strikes against the Sunni Muslim extremists, followed by bombers and fighters.


  • #2
    Wag the Dog.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It is curious that just as soon as Obama gets troops out of Afghanistan to "fulfill his promises" all of a sudden we have a new war where he is going to send in troops. He satisfies the hawks and the doves at the same time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        It is curious that just as soon as Obama gets troops out of Afghanistan to "fulfill his promises" all of a sudden we have a new war where he is going to send in troops. He satisfies the hawks and the doves at the same time.
        Did he make his big speech this morning about how this is NOT a war, and there will be NO BOOTS ON THE GROUND?
        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

        Comment


        • #5
          Isn't that a violation of international law, considering Syria doesn't want them to do this?
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

          -Thomas Aquinas

          I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

          -Hernando Cortez

          What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

          -Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
            Isn't that a violation of international law
            When has the USA cared?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
              Isn't that a violation of international law, considering Syria doesn't want them to do this?
              "Syria" has no control over most of Syria anymore.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

              There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                Isn't that a violation of international law, considering Syria doesn't want them to do this?
                Bashar al-Assad does want them to do it - ISIS trying to oust him. He is just afraid to do it themselves so he is glad to let the USA do it for him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Bashar al-Assad does want them to do it - ISIS trying to oust him. He is just afraid to do it themselves so he is glad to let the USA do it for him.
                  He does want them? That's curious, since the U.S. gov'ment has been trying to overthrow him for years, usually by giving military support to rebel factions, which is how ISIS was created in the first place, by the way.

                  Maybe if the criminals in charge stopped trying to steal Syria by funding Jihadist rebels, these terrorist organizations would stop popping up.

                  Just a thought.
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

                  -Thomas Aquinas

                  I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

                  -Hernando Cortez

                  What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

                  -Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                    He does want them? That's curious, since the U.S. gov'ment has been trying to overthrow him for years, usually by giving military support to rebel factions, which is how ISIS was created in the first place, by the way.

                    Maybe if the criminals in charge stopped trying to steal Syria by funding Jihadist rebels, these terrorist organizations would stop popping up.

                    Just a thought.


                    My enemy's enemy is my friend -- this week -- unless my other enemy gets tougher, then my current enemy friend can hang on while I consort with my enemy enemy against my for-really enemy, making my enemy enemy my enemy enemy friend against my enemy friend... rinse, repeat....
                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      My enemy's enemy is my friend -- this week -- unless my other enemy gets tougher, then my current enemy friend can hang on while I consort with my enemy enemy against my for-really enemy, making my enemy enemy my enemy enemy friend against my enemy friend... rinse, repeat....
                      Why is Syria supposed our enemy, again? I mean, they hate us, but that's mostly because we keep funding "moderate rebels" to overthrow their government, with the added bonus that those "moderate" rebels actually turn out to be genocidal Jihadists.
                      Last edited by TimelessTheist; 09-23-2014, 01:24 PM.
                      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

                      -Thomas Aquinas

                      I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

                      -Hernando Cortez

                      What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

                      -Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                        Why is Syria supposed our enemy, again?
                        Iran.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

                        There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Iran.
                          And they hate us for the same reasons.
                          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

                          -Thomas Aquinas

                          I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

                          -Hernando Cortez

                          What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

                          -Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                            Why is Syria supposed our enemy, again? I mean, they hate us, but that's mostly because we keep funding "moderate rebels" to overthrow their government, with the added bonus that those "moderate" rebels actually turn out to be genocidal Jihadists.
                            How do you know that's why they hate us? I mean -- it makes for a fine talking point, but how do you know that's the real reason?
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                              He does want them? That's curious, since the U.S. gov'ment has been trying to overthrow him for years, usually by giving military support to rebel factions, which is how ISIS was created in the first place, by the way.
                              al-Assad doesn't want people mucking about in his country without cooperating with him, but he's not in much of a position to do anything about it. And unless I'm remembering wrong, we haven't been giving aid to the rebels of any sort, only making noises about doing so.
                              Maybe if the criminals in charge stopped trying to steal Syria by funding Jihadist rebels, these terrorist organizations would stop popping up.

                              Just a thought.
                              I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Criminals in charge of what?
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Gondwanaland, Yesterday, 01:42 PM
                              28 responses
                              129 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sherman
                              by Sherman
                               
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 11:16 AM
                              3 responses
                              39 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by Juvenal, Yesterday, 04:13 AM
                              14 responses
                              57 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Terraceth  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-24-2020, 06:20 PM
                              22 responses
                              130 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-24-2020, 06:10 PM
                              5 responses
                              46 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X