Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

This Is One Of the Worst Commercials I've Seen In A Long Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is One Of the Worst Commercials I've Seen In A Long Time

I wonder if they would say that a person who takes a selfie while eating a Mcdonald's burger is an unpaid spokesperson for Mcdonalds? Or a person wearing a "Truth Orange" T-shirt is an unpaid spokesperson for Truth Orange?

Seriously though, the real goldmine is in the comments section.

Smoking cigs suck, come to cannabis, you won't regret it.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug. It's for recreational use that has no harmful side effect except for making you fat cause you're always hungry. And there's more politics in it! Study and you shall learn!!!!

I hope you enjoy breathing through a hole in your neck, that is if someone doesn't put a hole in your head first.
    So, apparently, your typical Truth-Grouper is an idiot, who thinks cigarettes are the spawn of Satan, and go far enough to treat smokers like criminals and degenerates, yet think that extended cannabis is completely harmless and even healthy for you? Well, after all, who needs an informative campaign, using statements from reputed scientists and experts, detailing the actual health risks of smoking tobacco when you have hypocrisy, hysteria, and fear-mongering?

Oh, yeah, and ridiculously, insanely, inaccurate statistics, such as how Truth Orange states that smoking kills more people every year than murder, car crashes, (other) drugs, diseases, and natural disasters.

I'm fairly sure these guys don't really care about smoking, they just want something to make them feel important.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post

I wonder if they would say that a person who takes a selfie while eating a Mcdonald's burger is an unpaid spokesperson for Mcdonalds? Or a person wearing a "Truth Orange" T-shirt is an unpaid spokesperson for Truth Orange?
      All those people in the video appeared to be celebrities with large followings among younger crowds (i.e. children and early teens). I think the company's point was that when celebrities are seen smoking, it sends the implicit message to their young, easily impressionable followers that smoking is "cool" and whatnot. Hence, they're essentially serving as unpaid spokespeople. It wouldn't apply to some random person eating at McDonalds unless he/she had extensive influence.

So, apparently, your typical Truth-Grouper is an idiot, who thinks cigarettes are the spawn of Satan, and go far enough to treat smokers like criminals and degenerates, yet think that extended cannabis is completely harmless and even healthy for you?
      You only cited YouTube comments. Of course the typical YouTube commenter tends to be dim, but how would you know if those commenters were affiliated with Truth Orange? And where did anyone "treat smokers like criminals and degenerates?"

Well, after all, who needs an informative campaign, using statements from reputed scientists and experts, detailing the actual health risks of smoking tobacco when you have hypocrisy, hysteria, and fear-mongering?
      The campaign did appear to be tacky, and I have doubts about its effectiveness, but I didn't see hypocrisy, hysteria or fear-mongering anywhere. Unless you were referring to the YouTube comments, but that's not part of the campaign itself.

Oh, yeah, and ridiculously, insanely, inaccurate statistics, such as how Truth Orange states that smoking kills more people every year than murder, car crashes, (other) drugs, diseases, and natural disasters.
      Well, technically the top three causes of death according to the CDC*--heart disease, malignant neoplasms (cancer) and chronic lower respiratory diseases--are all commonly attributable to smoking effects, although I'm not sure how many of those were directly related to it. But the CDC does state elsewhere that "Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year**," which is higher than the nation's annual homicide and vehicular fatality rates, as well as the death tolls from natural disasters. Unless those stats are fabricated out of whole cloth, the claim appears to be accurate. If not completely accurate, it certainly doesn't seem to be "ridiculously or insanely inaccurate."

I'm fairly sure these guys don't really care about smoking, they just want something to make them feel important.
      That seems like an unwarranted leap, but whatever you say.

*http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr62/nvsr62_06.pdf
      **http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...ted_mortality/
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

What basis do we have for claiming people are insincere? How would it look if somebody signed up on TWeb and said "You people don't really care about the truth of Christianity, you just want something to argue over and feel good about?"
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          What basis do we have for claiming people are insincere? How would it look if somebody signed up on TWeb and said "You people don't really care about the truth of Christianity, you just want something to argue over and feel good about?"
          The fact that they all claim that pot is harmless, while tobacco should be outlawed is a huge tell. The fact that they claim that smoking (6 Million a year) kills more than disease (Cardiovascular disease alone, 175 million a year) combined with murder, car crashes, and illegal drugs is another.

I don't really care about tobacco, but you don't have to to see oversensationalized crap for what it is. The fact that they play it every ten minutes doesn't help.
          Last edited by TimelessTheist; 09-23-2014, 10:53 AM.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment