Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't You Dare Wear That American Flag T-shirt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't You Dare Wear That American Flag T-shirt!

Will we ever come back from this cultural rot?

It’s official: the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has issued an order declining a request for an en banc hearing in a case involving four students in at a California high school who were sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

The full slate of Ninth Circuit judges has thus agreed with a lower district court and with a trio of appellate judges that officials at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif. could censor students who wanted to wear flag-emblazoned shirts.

The federal appeals court issued its denial of an en banc hearing on Sept. 17 — Constitution Day.
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/18/ni...cinco-de-mayo/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I've always thought that American flag clothing was an interesting issue ever since Abby Hoffman was arrested for wearing an American flag patch on his jeans back during the anti-war protests of the '60s and that very night Raquel Welch was on a Bob Hope TV special with an American flag bikini.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I long for the day when the people who made this decision wouldn't be caught dead wearing symbols of any power at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I've always thought that American flag clothing was an interesting issue ever since Abby Hoffman was arrested for wearing an American flag patch on his jeans back during the anti-war protests of the '60s and that very night Raquel Welch was on a Bob Hope TV special with an American flag bikini.
        Well come on rogue - a flag patch on Hoffman's butt or bikini clad Raquel Welch - it is obvious which one should be illegal!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Using the Flag of the United States as an article of apparel IS against the US Flag Code: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

See Section 8 sub d. But, it's not like anyone can be prosecuted for violating it.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Using the Flag of the United States as an article of apparel IS against the US Flag Code: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

See Section 8 sub d. But, it's not like anyone can be prosecuted for violating it.
            That is for using an actual flag

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              That is for using an actual flag
              Not in all instances...see 8 - i
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Not in all instances...see 8 - i
                That is not the point, and that is not why those kids were sent home.

The trouble dates back to Cinco de Mayo (May 5) in 2010, when officials at Live Oak High — a school with a predominant Mexican-American student body — forced the students to remove their American flag-festooned shirts. Administrators called the shirts “incendiary” and worried that fighting would break out between white and Latino students if Latino students noticed the shirts. So, assistant principal Miguel Rodriguez told the students to turn their shirts inside out or leave school. Students of Mexican heritage told local media that the students wore wore American flag T-shirts should apologize.
                So the American flag is incendiary in an American school? If the Latino students don't like it send them home!
                Last edited by seer; 09-18-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

You know what is really funny about this? I was in Washington D.C. for Independence Day, and they were giving away bandanas, selling shirts and sunglasses, and doing raffle giveaways of nice hats - all with the flag on them. Hundreds of thousands of people within walking distance of the building where that code was written, all wearing flags on their clothing...
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

IIRC (the incident was some time ago) the young men in question were wearing the shirts in order to cause a scene and for there to be a conflict of some sort.
                    (I'm of the opinion that wearing the shirts shouldn't cause a scene, but anyhow their own motives do need to be taken into account.)
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      IIRC (the incident was some time ago) the young men in question were wearing the shirts in order to cause a scene and for there to be a conflict of some sort.
                      (I'm of the opinion that wearing the shirts shouldn't cause a scene, but anyhow their own motives do need to be taken into account.)
                      I agree, they should receive commendations for identifying foreign loyalists for immediate deportation.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Where do you get the idea that these kids were doing it just to cause an incident? And so what if they were - do free speech rights end because someone might be offended? And the story is old but the court decision is recent. The amended opinion just came out yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Where do you get the idea that these kids were doing it just to cause an incident? And so what if they were - do free speech rights end because someone might be offended? And the story is old but the court decision is recent. The amended opinion just came out yesterday.
                          Because I remember it being mentioned when the original story came out.
                          They weren't wearing the shirts as a show of patriotism, or by accident. They were hoping to cause a scene.
                          That goes some way to explain the reaction of the assistant principal.

As I said it shouldn't have caused a scene, but it did and that's what they were wanting. So really a case of mission accomplished.
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Because I remember it being mentioned when the original story came out.
                            They weren't wearing the shirts as a show of patriotism, or by accident. They were hoping to cause a scene.
                            That goes some way to explain the reaction of the assistant principal.

As I said it shouldn't have caused a scene, but it did and that's what they were wanting. So really a case of mission accomplished.
                            But why should wearing the American flag cause a scene? Shouldn't those who were offended by the flag be the ones sent home? And since when do we curtail freedom of speech because someone might get offended?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              But why should wearing the American flag cause a scene? Shouldn't those who were offended by the flag be the ones sent home? And since when do we curtail freedom of speech because someone might get offended?
                              Schools have had the right for ages to censor free speech when it might cause disruption. Do you disagree with the Supreme Court's ruling on the Tinker case?

Comment