Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sparko, John Reece: solar power not good enough! I: psss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you see anything ridiculous in this cite, considering that the USA population is less than 1/3 billion souls?
    Source: yesterday's "Tomorrow in Review" newsletter

Solar-produced electricity, including the electricity from panels that are now on more than half a billion American houses, is below the grid price of electricity in 17 states, and it's getting more efficient all the time. Yes, it's cheaper to make electricity from solar panels than to make it from coal.

© Copyright Original Source

Well, I hope it's true that 17 states are now getting cheap solar power. Oh, it should be mentioned that the quotation above was in the context of falling oil prices--the author does know about that happening.

I am not sure, is it "more than half a billion houses worldwide", or a smaller number?

The solar tree in Gleisdorf, Austria, proves that Sparko has no imagination or his imagination is exceedingly limited http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...er&Form=IQFRDR
    Last edited by Truthseeker; 12-27-2014, 01:42 PM.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• I read about a fella who didn't have a million dollars and a windmill that costs that much after installation. He is netting (as the tale goes) $2,500 per month from the mill, which was put on land that was nearly worthless. How did he manage to swing it? Maine state rebates, IRS tax credit, a small-business loan and a nearby power company willing to buy the mill power for six cents per KWh, etc.

I wonder about doing a similar project where I live, only it'd be solar. I think windmills generate too much noise--right? If you have neighbors nearby, their health might be affected by the noise.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• In California there are some pretty large wind farms in the desert, but I've never noticed them making... Y'know, sound.
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

• You have to be fairly close to hear the noise they make.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Outside a half-mile radius, it's OK. Effects of low-frequency sounds within that radius need more research, according to this Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ...oise_annoyance

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              You have to be fairly close to hear the noise they make.
              Seriously I've been underneath the gigantic 6MW ocean windmills. They're gearless so the only noise you hear is the swosh of a blade tip as it comes by now and then, and the distant humming of the power converter. They're incredible silent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Seriously I've been underneath the gigantic 6MW ocean windmills. They're gearless so the only noise you hear is the swosh of a blade tip as it comes by now and then, and the distant humming of the power converter. They're incredibly silent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Comment

• OK, maybe residential neighborhoods can have practically silent windmills everywhere decent winds blow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      I read about a fella who didn't have a million dollars and a windmill that costs that much after installation. He is netting (as the tale goes) $2,500 per month from the mill, which was put on land that was nearly worthless. How did he manage to swing it? Maine state rebates, IRS tax credit, a small-business loan and a nearby power company willing to buy the mill power for six cents per KWh, etc.

I wonder about doing a similar project where I live, only it'd be solar. I think windmills generate too much noise--right? If you have neighbors nearby, their health might be affected by the noise.
                      So it is only cost effective when the government (who you think is behind every conspiracy in the world) subsidizes the project and you want in on the deal.

Figures. The government is only evil until you can get something out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        So it is only cost effective when the government (who you think is behind every conspiracy in the world) subsidizes the project and you want in on the deal.

Figures. The government is only evil until you can get something out of it.
                        Special case, on land wind mills can be as cheap as merely 20% more than coal power. Smaller privately owned windmills are rarely cost effective. Larger ones almost always are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          Special case, on land wind mills can be as cheap as merely 20% more than coal power. Smaller privately owned windmills are rarely cost effective. Larger ones almost always are.
                          I was just commenting on TS's post. He normally goes around claiming the government is behind all sorts of conspiracies, from JFK's murder, to trying to kill us with GMO food and flu shots. Yet when he thinks he can make some money from a government subsidy, he all of a sudden wants in on the deal and thinks the government is OK.

Comment

• Solid-state cooling devices may now be 3x more efficient http://www.treehugger.com/clean-tech...lid-state.html
                            I don't know about the pricing, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I was just commenting on TS's post. He normally goes around claiming the government is behind all sorts of conspiracies, from JFK's murder, to trying to kill us with GMO food and flu shots. Yet when he thinks he can make some money from a government subsidy, he all of a sudden wants in on the deal and thinks the government is OK.
                              If I refuse to use the road to the food store because it is maintained by the government, I'd starve to death. I guess that would make Sparko happy. One less critic of our governments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                                If I refuse to use the road to the food store because it is maintained by the government, I'd starve to death. I guess that would make Sparko happy. One less critic of our governments.
                                That's different than wanting to take advantage of money being given out by the government. If the government paid you to eat GMO food, would you?

Comment