Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sparko, John Reece: solar power not good enough! I: psss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As stated before, Hawaii has reached the grid parity stage. This includes storage against darkness (including thick cloudiness at noon). I reasoned that whatever is the leading storage technology there would be a viable system. Googling around, I stumbled over this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power#Grid_parity Note this sentence: "General Electric's Chief Engineer predicted grid parity without subsidies in sunny parts of the United States by around 2015. Other companies predict an earlier date:[88"

Another interesting article says that the main Hawaiian power company is having problems coping with wind and solar power, which as you know is intermittent: http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...rid-challenges
    I infer from it that storage technology does not have a clear forerunner yet. I guess Sparko and Teallaura were right to chastise me. However, there could be a breakthrough in hydrogen-fuel cells in the near future

I am giving up on finding any more about Hawaii's storage technology, but y'all are welcome to take a crack at getting more news.

Comment

• wow you don't care what anyone says, you just ignore them and go and find some other article to misunderstand and misquote, TS. No wonder you are a conspiracy nut. You care nothing about reality, just some way of finding evidence (even if you have to misread it) to support what you want to be real.

Amazing insight into your psyche.

Thank you for the amusement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        wow you don't care what anyone says, you just ignore them and go and find some other article to misunderstand and misquote, TS. No wonder you are a conspiracy nut. You care nothing about reality, just some way of finding evidence (even if you have to misread it) to support what you want to be real.

Amazing insight into your psyche.

Thank you for the amusement.
        Which article was that?

Comment

• I don't know much about this publication, especially whether its worth reading International Renewable Energy Agency: Rethinking Energy

Comment

• Perhaps you still remember the tussle by Sparko, Teallaura, and me over the recharging of hydrogen fuel cells with solar power. If so, perhaps you would be interested in this L.A. Times article
            http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...ry.html#page=1
            I do not know what the future of recharging fuel cells with solar power is. Perhaps not much of a future, if any.

Comment

• For anyone who's interested, here's my (British) PV daily readings since Jan 2012, with a 14 day trailing average superimposed.

PV Daily Readings Graph.jpg

As you will see, there's very little in winter; nothing under snow (fortunately rare); and of course, nothing at night.

Comment

• Wait, what?

I thought Britain got a lot of snow?

South Wales as in GB and not New South Wales as in NZ, right?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• diy solar thermal panel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNViUsRCVU Lots of work, but if it's diy, then the panel is mighty cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
                    For anyone who's interested, here's my (British) PV daily readings since Jan 2012, with a 14 day trailing average superimposed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2504[/ATTACH]

As you will see, there's very little in winter; nothing under snow (fortunately rare); and of course, nothing at night.
                    Interesting, but are your savings worthwhile, i.e., your PV installation is paying for itself in say 5 years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      diy solar thermal panel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNViUsRCVU Lots of work, but if it's diy, then the panel is mighty cheap.
                      It's a heater, not a generator of electricity. I had a solar powered heater in front of my house, called a sidewalk. I could fry an egg on it in the summer time.

Comment

It's a heater, not a generator of electricity. I had a solar powered heater in front of my house, called a sidewalk. I could fry an egg on it in the summer time.
                        Did you just want to joke? If so Did you just want to put my post down? Go ahead, consider it put down. However, it could be possible that you didn't know it's possible to generate electricity directly from temperature gradients. Thermoelectricity, I think. Let me consult Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator Ah, good ol' Thomas Johann Seebeck. Not necessarily the only way to generate electricity from temperature differences, though.

Comment

Did you just want to joke? If so Did you just want to put my post down? Go ahead, consider it put down. However, it could be possible that you didn't know it's possible to generate electricity directly from temperature gradients. Thermoelectricity, I think. Let me consult Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator Ah, good ol' Thomas Johann Seebeck. Not necessarily the only way to generate electricity from temperature differences, though.
                          I have a degree in electronics so I know what is possible, TS. I also know what is efficient and what is not. I also know what you posted was basically a heater not a generator.

Comment

I have a degree in electronics so I know what is possible, TS.
                            Oh, wow, electronics! That should enable you to say whether table-top fusion that is safe and powerful is possible. Maybe you can even say how soon ("Impossible until 2020.")

I also know what is efficient and what is not.
                            Seriously, what is the most efficient way to generate thermoelectricity inside a small room?

I also know what you posted was basically a heater not a generator.
                            You may have overlooked the electricity that the heater saves by keeping the main-house furnace off, if it is electrical, as mine is. Besides, you seem like you want everything to be electrical.

Comment

• Truthseeker has commenced news article dumping like he did to kill the Peak Oil thread on the original forum.

mlfw4514-5282.131416733118.gif

Comment

Thermoelectric generation isn't the most efficient way to produce electrical energy TS. If it was, why do power plants prefer a turbine set up vs a thermoelectric generator set up?
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment