Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Former Auschwitz guard charged with 300,000 counts of accessory to murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Being 93 has something to do with still being alive, CBW...
    Oh, so he was in his 20's? Likely cowed by the Nazi regime?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      The original "crime" isn't worth prosecuting.
      What do you mean by that? His particular role, or that killing millions of jews isn't worth prosecuting?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        What do you mean by that? His particular role, or that killing millions of jews isn't worth prosecuting?
        I sure hope he means the role...
        Though his avatar pics make me wonder...

Comment

I'm reminded of 'Nuit et Brouillard' (Night and Fog) which I saw some years ago. It's a 1955 documentary on the camps, using lots of war-time footage.

What particularly struck me was the footage from the post-war trial of various guards etc, all saying: 'I'm not responsible' (Here's an extract showing that part)

Warning: The full documentary is not for the sensitive or faint-hearted.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Demjanjuk, an autoworker who lived in the U.S. for years after the war, was convicted in 2011 of 28,060 counts of being an accessory to murder and sentenced to five years in prison.

Although he died a free man in a nursing home in Germany – he was released pending his appeal – the court’s ruling that he could be convicted on his service record alone was “a total game-changer,” Zuroff said.

“Until that point … German prosecutors could not try a case unless they had evidence of a specific crime with a specific victim,” he said.

“Demjanjuk was convicted solely for his service as an armed SS guard at a death camp,” he added. “As a result, this opened up a whole new potential number of people to bring to justice.”
            “Now in Germany, all of a sudden, all you have is one task – all you have to do is find people, because you can prove service with documents,” Zuroff said. “You don’t have to have someone who says, ‘I saw this bastard kill my fellow inmate.’”

Schrimm said that the Demjanjuk case prompted his agency to start "looking at old files with a renewed focus."

He added: “Today, any job in a concentration camp can be sufficient evidence towards a conviction as accessory to murder."
            Link
            Last edited by Paprika; 09-17-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

But death by natural causes is not an escape from prosecution. Great White Throne judgement anyone?

Comment

Perfect justice isn't at issue.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Perfect justice isn't at issue.
                  Though by that argument, I guess we shouldn't have courts at all??? So... is there a point? Nazi's are evil?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Though by that argument, I guess we shouldn't have courts at all??? So... is there a point? Nazi's are evil?
                    Probably the argument is that you shouldn't use the courts to enact your revenge fantasies on the easiest target decades after the fact (why not just charge him on 6,000,000 counts while you're at it?)

Comment

Pay attention! The question is whether a man who isn't being charged with a specific war crime (being a bookkeeper in Auschwitz is not a specific war crime) should be charge now, 70 years later, when nothing other than his service can be substantiated.

In my opinion, no. He's already been investigated years ago when they had their best shot of proving something (no specific charges were made) and they couldn't do it. This is what we call 'malicious prosecution'. Yeah, the German courts opened the door - but the prosecutor should know that not every door is meant to be used.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                        Probably the argument is that you shouldn't use the courts to enact your revenge fantasies on the easiest target decades after the fact (why not just charge him on 6,000,000 counts while you're at it?)
                        I have to agree (stop that! You're supposed to be the rabid, crazy guy! You're slipping! ). By the prosecution's logic, merely living in Germany at the time could arguably be a war crime.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I thought it was 11 million killed total?

Comment

I thought it was 11 million killed total?
                            Now that you mention it...

Originally posted by Homer at the Bat
                            Officer Eddie: (reading Steve Sax's license) Well well, Steve Sax, from New York City.
                            Officer Lou: I heard some guy got killed in New York City and they never solved the case. But you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you, Steve?
                            (Lou and Eddie laugh)
                            Steve Sax: But there are hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City.
                            Officer Lou: You don't know when to keep your mouth shut, do you, Saxxy Boy?

Comment

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment