Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Former Auschwitz guard charged with 300,000 counts of accessory to murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Auschwitz guard charged with 300,000 counts of accessory to murder

http://online.wsj.com/articles/forme...68082?mod=e2fb

There has been some debate over whether it is even worth charging such people at this point in time. A complicating factor here is that this individual has been open about his past occupation but claimed he didn't participate in the atrocities. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's an Oskar Schindler, though.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Stupid, and not because of his age or the distance in time. The original "crime" isn't worth prosecuting.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      http://online.wsj.com/articles/forme...68082?mod=e2fb

There has been some debate over whether it is even worth charging such people at this point in time. A complicating factor here is that this individual has been open about his past occupation but claimed he didn't participate in the atrocities. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's an Oskar Schindler, though.
      Hasn't Germany ever heard of ex post facto laws?
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
        Hasn't Germany ever heard of ex post facto laws?
        I'm not sure I'd use that argument; using that argument, you couldn't have charged Himmler with anything.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm not sure I'd use that argument; using that argument, you couldn't have charged Himmler with anything.
          I'm just saying, it's kind of a double standard. Hitler used the same logic to kill all those Jews: Make it illegal for Jews to be in Germany; implement it while Jews are still living in Germany, and there you go! Instant massacre. Albeit war crimes are different, as they affect the populaces of territories outside that of the territory your own regime controls, but you see what I'm getting it.
          Last edited by TimelessTheist; 09-16-2014, 09:49 PM.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Um, from the article it sounds like the courts are changing the rules which is not technically an ex post facto law. Doesn't sound like a genius rule change, either.

A bookkeeper? Seriously? Based on nothing more than being assigned to a camp is a dumb standard - it technically means that the Jews who were forced into labor there would also be guilty.

On the bright side, the prosecutions are likely to just be paper.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

On the same level as charging the guy who shot someone that died 30 years later from complications of the previous murder, just stupider.

Comment

Eh, I don't know, I think about this kind of stuff a lot. I guess you could say he was responsible for war crimes, which aren't just internal politics of a nation, which is something I don't advocate warring against a nation for. On the other hand, he wasn't really responsible for them in the first place, he was basically just a bookkeeper.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

He'll be a useful scapegoat to appease the collective guilt...for a time.

Comment

For the record, merely being a bookkeeper isn't a justification: the fact that they do not seem able to substantiate an actual criminal act makes prosecution itself unjustifiable.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      For the record, merely being a bookkeeper isn't a justification: the fact that they do not seem able to substantiate an actual criminal act makes prosecution itself unjustifiable.
                      I thought they had substantiated that he had stolen money, but the wording isn't that clear. I will say I don't see the point in going after the lower level guys 70 years later.

Comment

I thought they had substantiated that he had stolen money, but the wording isn't that clear. I will say I don't see the point in going after the lower level guys 70 years later.
                        Stolen funds wouldn't be prosecutable this late unless German law is completely insane (I'm not ruling that out...).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Stolen funds wouldn't be prosecutable this late unless German law is completely insane (I'm not ruling that out...).
                          I get the impression they're sort of making it up as they go along.

Comment

Wait a sec... how is that guy still alive??? Wasn't WWII 70+ years ago? Sure, why not charge a geriatric for something they did over 70 years ago...
                            A bookkeeper???
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Being 93 has something to do with still being alive, CBW...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment