Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republicans and the End of Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    She's definitely overstating the consequences, but ironically, your fellow Republican seer posted this thread just a few hours earlier. And, uh...based on that and many more of his threads, let's just say that if a Republican like him ever got into power, I absolutely would fear for civilization.
    Why, my views are not far off what most people believed just 50 or 60 years ago and western civilization did just fine. And BTW - I wasn't condoning abuse, not in the least, but the hypocrisy on the left.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Insert gratuitous drive-by comment here, as I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

But.... SP is NOT a liberal?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Insert gratuitous drive-by comment here, as I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

But.... SP is NOT a liberal?
        Maybe "liberal" is too conservative of a label for him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Nice backpedal.
          Since I was only semi-serious when I wrote that in the first place, it can hardly be a backpedal.

...followed by a content-less deflection.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2031[/ATTACH]
          Talk about "content-less."

Maybe you could show me a post of yours where you're not arguing from a liberal position? I don't recall seeing any, though I admittedly have not read all your posts.
          Actually, with the exception of same-sex marriage I've generally argued against certain conservative positions rather than for liberal positions. It's not "we need to enact a liberal policy that accomplishes so-and-so specifically" so much as "I think your conservative-based argument here doesn't work/misrepresents a situation/you're clearly trying to be mean to other people rather than actually arguing for something." For instance, seer once started a thread saying voter ID laws aren't racist. I personally agree, but in his OP he didn't actually present any reasons for his belief, and it appeared that he didn't even understand WHY some people do think they're racist. So I challenged him to elaborate and also explained why the other side believes the way it does. Often times my responses in threads are more to push for fair representation of the other side rather than definitively arguing for something. I do this in other places when liberals misrepresent conservative positions, or when I think a liberal-based argument doesn't work. It's just that apparently 99% of this forum's posters are conservative, and so I don't find many opportunities to do so here.

I consider myself rather apolitical, to be frank, but I guess I'd identify as a moderate. I'm in favor of same-sex marriage and oppose the death penalty, but I also oppose abortion except in extreme, rare cases. Besides those, I don't have a strong opinion on too many other issues. Hence, I don't align myself with either major party.
          Last edited by fm93; 09-16-2014, 09:05 AM.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Since I was only semi-serious when I wrote that in the first place, it can hardly be a backpedal.

Talk about "content-less."

Actually, with the exception of same-sex marriage I've generally argued against certain conservative positions rather than for liberal positions. It's not "we need to enact a liberal policy that accomplishes so-and-so specifically" so much as "I think your conservative-based argument here doesn't work/misrepresents a situation/you're clearly trying to be mean to other people rather than actually arguing for something." For instance, seer once started a thread saying voter ID laws aren't racist. I personally agree, but in his OP he didn't actually present any reasons for his belief, and it appeared that he didn't even understand WHY some people do think they're racist. So I challenged him to elaborate and also explained why the other side believes the way it does. Often times my responses in threads are more to push for fair representation of the other side rather than definitively arguing for something. I do this in other places when liberals misrepresent conservative positions, or when I think a liberal-based argument doesn't work. It's just that apparently 99% of this forum's posters are conservative, and so I don't find many opportunities to do so here.

I consider myself rather apolitical, to be frank, but I guess I'd identify as a moderate. I'm in favor of same-sex marriage and oppose the death penalty, but I also oppose abortion except in extreme, rare cases. Besides those, I don't have a strong opinion on too many other issues. Hence, I don't align myself with either major party.
            The impression I get of you SP, is someone who wants to play both sides and not to actually commit to anything. You like to make political proclamations, then say you are apolitical. You make arguments regarding same-sex marriage and when the hypocrisy of what you claimed is pointed out, you claim people don't understand what you really meant, or didn't read your posts, or you were just kidding. You want to play both sides, basically being able to make liberal claims but not be labeled a liberal. Being able to have a strong opinion, but not be responsible for defending your position when confronted with flaws.

Comment

She's definitely overstating the consequences, but ironically, your fellow Republican seer posted this thread just a few hours earlier. And, uh...based on that and many more of his threads, let's just say that if a Republican like him ever got into power, I absolutely would fear for civilization.
              I don't consider myself a Republican. As far as I'm concerned, they're only slightly less corrupt than the Democrats, and generally cowardly to boot.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The impression I get of you SP, is someone who wants to play both sides and not to actually commit to anything.
                I commit to things that I feel strongly about, and there are only a few such issues currently.

You like to make political proclamations, then say you are apolitical.
                I said I'm "rather" apolitical. That doesn't mean I'm apolitical on every issue.

You make arguments regarding same-sex marriage and when the hypocrisy of what you claimed is pointed out
                Please. I answered that already. Besides, this thread is hardly the place to rehash what went on in another thread.

you claim people don't understand what you really meant, or didn't read your posts
                But when I say things like this, I also attempt to clarify what I meant and/or show that someone's interpretation is so far off that I wonder if he/she actually read my posts. I don't invent claims like that out of whole cloth.

or you were just kidding.
                Only place I've ever said I was kidding was in this thread, and I genuinely was only semi-serious.

You want to play both sides, basically being able to make liberal claims but not be labeled a liberal.
                Besides the things I pointed out, what claims have I made that are exclusively/definitively "liberal?"

Being able to have a strong opinion, but not be responsible for defending your position when confronted with flaws.
                I'd say that I have adequately defended my positions from attacks and that you have yet to prove that there are flaws. That's why I hold to those positions in the first place. I have changed other positions I've held when I felt that there genuinely were flaws, so don't bother throwing out some ad hominem about being close-minded or whatever.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I don't consider myself a Republican. As far as I'm concerned, they're only slightly less corrupt than the Democrats, and generally cowardly to boot.
                Hmm. Okay then. I thought you'd claimed to be a conservative, and I tend to consider that synonymous with "Republican." Apologies if I misunderstood or completely confused you with someone else.
                Last edited by fm93; 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I commit to things that I feel strongly about, and there are only a few such issues currently.

I said I'm "rather" apolitical. That doesn't mean I'm apolitical on every issue.

Please. I answered that already. Besides, this thread is hardly the place to rehash what went on in another thread.

But when I say things like this, I also attempt to clarify what I meant and/or show that someone's interpretation is so far off that I wonder if he/she actually read my posts. I don't invent claims like that out of whole cloth.

Only place I've ever said I was kidding was in this thread, and I genuinely was only semi-serious.

Thank you for confirming my point.

Comment

The prospect of you being in power doesn't trouble me at all. In fact, that'd be really amusing.
                    I somehow doubt you'd be all that amused when I start piling wood and straws around sturdy metal poles in downtown New York, Washington and Los Angeles.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      I somehow doubt you'd be all that amused when I start piling wood and straws around sturdy metal poles in downtown New York, Washington and Los Angeles.
                      Hmm. Could you manage to remove every sports team in those three cities? Because I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Comment

Actually, with the exception of same-sex marriage I've generally argued against certain conservative positions rather than for liberal positions.
                        Did you vote FOR the war before you voted AGAINST it?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          The Democrats want to take us straight to hell. The Republicans, OTOH, are content to take a slightly more scenic route.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hmm. Okay then. I thought you'd claimed to be a conservative, and I tend to consider that synonymous with "Republican." Apologies if I misunderstood or completely confused you with someone else.
                            I did claim to be a conservative, but I don't think it's synonymous with "Republican." At least, no more so than "moderate" is synonymous with "liberal."
                            Last edited by Zymologist; 09-16-2014, 12:40 PM.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Why, my views are not far off what most people believed just 50 or 60 years ago and western civilization did just fine. And BTW - I wasn't condoning abuse, not in the least, but the hypocrisy on the left.
                              Of course the definitions of who and what are liberal and conservative have changed since then. While considered liberal in his lifetime, today JFK would probably be branded a right wing radical by his party and the media elites. He wants to cut taxes? He wants a strong military? He supports individual rights over collective rights and worried about an expanding federal government taking over functions traditionally handled at the state and local level? Obviously a right wing extremist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Of course the definitions of who and what are liberal and conservative have changed since then. While considered liberal in his lifetime, today JFK would probably be branded a right wing radical by his party and the media elites. He wants to cut taxes? He wants a strong military? He supports individual rights over collective rights and worried about an expanding federal government taking over functions traditionally handled at the state and local level? Obviously a right wing extremist.
                                I doubt that JFK could get nominated in the Democrat party of today. My Dad was a Dem all his life, and a big union supporter - but on social issues he was to the right of me.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment