Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The DEATH OF GAMING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DEATH OF GAMING

It appears that another industry has discovered that journalists are effectively an arm of the extended Federal Service, and not actually a series of independent and disinterested actors. Even late-night TV could have told you that:

My guess is that most of them use the TV for other pursuits. Or stick with the Internet, which provides its own amusements:

This is how Tassman argues, this is how they all argue, summarized:

Originally posted by Jim
    feminist:

you are sexist and bigoted

target:

I am innocent

feminist:

I can and will crush you

target:

I have said nothing offensive

feminist 2:

failure to be PC is offensive

feminist:

your career is being ruined as we speak

feminist:

you must grovel immediately or face destruction of your career
    Short version of the lesson: Letting any "journalists", "social media experts", or "empowered women" into any position of power in your company is like letting Tassman teach your kids English grammar, usage, and definitions: it's evidence of either incredible ignorance or desperation.
    Last edited by Epoetker; 09-14-2014, 07:13 PM.

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    It appears that another industry has discovered that journalists are effectively an arm of the extended Federal Service, and not actually a series of independent and disinterested actors. Even late-night TV could have told you that:

My guess is that most of them use the TV for other pursuits. Or stick with the Internet, which provides its own amusements:

This is how Tassman argues, this is how they all argue, summarized:

Short version of the lesson: Letting any "journalists", "social media experts", or "empowered women" into any position of power in your company is like letting Tassman teach your kids English grammar, usage, and definitions: it's evidence of either incredible ignorance or desperation.
    Wonder how Leigh's sandwich making skills are....
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
      Wonder how Leigh's sandwich making skills are....
      She's been around supplicating gammas all her life, so probably horrible. She has her own website, which is a treasure trove of tomfoolery:

Originally posted by Leigh Alexander
      DON’T: Tweet at women asking them “what should be done”. When someone is venting about systemic injustice, commandeering their attention with the question, “but what solutions would you recommend” is akin to walking up to a person who is on fire and asking them to bring you a bucket of water so that you can “help.”
      YOU ARE NOT TO TALK UNLESS I AM FINISHED SPEAKING AND I LIKE YOUR QUESTIONS

DON’T: Make the person who is clearly suffering from the effects of an unfair system do free work for you. If you need more information to understand what you see happening, you have ways of obtaining it: Look at someone’s profile and read their feed or their conversations. Look at links that have been posted. Google. Ask your own friends. You can find a Game of Thrones torrent from anywhere in the world, and you can find out what has happened or is being discussed without making people who are obviously upset or occupied explain it to you.
      YOU DARN WELL BETTER FIGURE OUT WHY I'M MAD AT YOU ON YOUR OWN, BECAUSE I'M SURE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU, AND I DON'T CARE IF IT'S 'TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL!'

DON’T: Try to explain things. Understand that even if the person you are addressing is not an authority in her field (though she often may be, as sexism targets prominent women ) you ought not automatically assume she needs you to let her know how things go in her field, unless she has asked. Experiment with the idea that her experience is not whatsoever about you and it’s not the time for you to attention-seek or offer an ‘alternative perspective’.
      OPEN DISCUSSION AND CLAIRIFICATION IS RAPE!

DON’T: Tone-police. Does she sound enraged, impatient, and bitter? Is she not being especially nice to all the people who have Tweeted at her to explain sexism, ask her how to solve sexism, or otherwise undermine the things she is saying? Too bad. You wouldn’t be nice either if you lived in a system which consistently conspired to remove your authority and devalue your work.
      Wonder if Tassman wants to talk about 'paranoid conspiracy theorists' now?

Her blog, of course, has no comments enabled, but my best guess is that she figures she can get away with these open power games because she's a reasonably attractive girl who can get a typical video game journalist nerd to hang on her every word (don't know when that Twitter picture was taken, but from cursory Internet trawling, she used to have a blog called sexyvideogameland, at which she purportedly had pictures of herself jumping up and down on a Wii fit board, and was apparently hired by Chris Kohler of Wired along with two other women to be "executive assistants". The rest is herstory, sure, she probably was hired pretty much only because she was a cute girl, but that doesn't mean she's actually qualified to talk about video games, journalism, or indeed anything of any consequence. BUT LET ME MAKE THAT MY LIFE'S WORK...)

In any case, hope she actually gets married to somebody before she hits the wall, otherwise the final consequence of all female dithering in side issues will come:

cat-returns-003.jpg

Comment