Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yes, This is Wrong, Too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, This is Wrong, Too.

Originally posted by Yahoo
    Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

source
    What, seriously, is so complicated about this? The law requires parity in treatment - that's ALL. It doesn't guarantee no one will be offended, just that even one has an equal opportunity of access or is treated equitably. Simple - so legitimate religions (no, it really doesn't protect the made up crap) get equal access where access is granted and atheists don't have to say 'under God' if they don't wanna.

You'd think it was rocket science...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Is it too soon to hope this is a part of a broader conspiracy by Christian Nationalists to hijack the US military and overthrow the US government?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Um, yes, way too soon.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Aren't all religions made up except Judaism and Christianity? Where do we draw the line?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Aren't all religions made up except Judaism and Christianity? Where do we draw the line?
          You really can't distinguish 'Banjoism' from an actual religion? Just because defining something is problematic - and that's largely why the Court has historically been loath to try - doesn't mean it can't be reasonably done or shouldn't be done. We don't have to pretend that mockery has equal footing with genuine belief, even if we regard that belief as mistaken or, as in our case, happen to know they're wrong (). This 'but where, oh where, is the dividing line' thing is foolishness. Yes, it will be difficult if not impossible to come up with a legal definition that pleases everyone but it is certainly possible to define religion well enough to meaningfully distinguish between the genuine and the fake.

How? Same way we always do - we'll muddle around until we hit the one that works. 200+ years of American politics and jurisprudence have, frighteningly enough, worked just that way.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment