Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Straight Guys Getting Married

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Your flippant comment: “What's so irrational about limiting disease vectors?” was your direct response to my citing of the 2010 Hate Crimes Statistics released by the FBI National Press Office, whereby 19.3 % of hate crimes across the United States were motivated by a negative sexual orientation bias. So, in this context you were talking about eliminating homosexuals (seen by you as disease carriers) with apparent approval.

Do you stand by this?
    Given your history of lying and effort-free discussion, your posts and references should be considered absolutely worthless until you give us a public link to the original publication and a description, as none of us here are going to be doing your homework for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      Given your history of lying and effort-free discussion, your posts and references should be considered absolutely worthless until you give us a public link to the original publication and a description, as none of us here are going to be doing your homework for you.
      What "history of lying" Epoetker; support your allegations.

FBI Releases 2010 Hate Crime Statistics.

Hate Crime Statistics, 2010 includes the following information: "Of the 6,624 single bias incidents, 47.3 percent were motivated by a racial bias, 20.0 percent were motivated by a religious bias, 19.3 percent were motivated by a sexual orientation bias, and 12.8 percent were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias. Bias against a disability accounted for 0.6 percent of single-bias incidents.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pre...ime-statistics

"Moreover, in a Southern Poverty Law Center 2010 Intelligence Report extrapolating data from fourteen years (1995–2008), which had complete data available at the time, of the FBI's national hate crime statistics found that LGBT people were "far more likely than any other minority group in the United States to be victimized by violent hate crime..." - cited Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      I have a question. When do I get to marry my toaster?
      As soon as your toaster gives its informed consent.
      Last edited by Tassman; 09-21-2014, 04:25 AM.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Right around the time Al-Muqtab gets his child brides recognized.
        So, in the next 5 years then?
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Hate Crime Statistics, 2010 includes the following information:

"Of the 6,624 single bias incidents, 47.3 percent were motivated by a racial bias, 20.0 percent were motivated by a religious bias, 19.3 percent were motivated by a sexual orientation bias, and 12.8 percent were motivated by an ethnicity/national origin bias. Bias against a disability accounted for 0.6 percent of single-bias incidents.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pre...ime-statistics

"Moreover, in a Southern Poverty Law Center 2010 Intelligence Report extrapolating data from fourteen years (1995–2008), which had complete data available at the time, of the FBI's national hate crime statistics found that LGBT people were "far more likely than any other minority group in the United States to be victimized by violent hate crime..." - cited Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

As soon as your toaster gives its informed consent.
          Well, it didn't give me it's consent to buy and enslave it for labor either. So I don't need it's permission .
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            Well, it didn't give me it's consent to buy and enslave it for labor either. So I don't need it's permission .
            The law says you must have its informed consent to marry. Probably for the best - why risk paying alimony at the end of the day to an ungrateful toaster?
            Last edited by Tassman; 09-21-2014, 04:23 AM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The law says you must have its informed consent to marry. Probably for the best - why risk paying alimony at the end of the day to an ungrateful toaster?
              Well, the alimony wouldn't be so much of a problem. After all, what would you pay a toaster in? Toast!

Comment

Funny how you run to "the law says" when someone points out the problems with your viewpoints. At one time "the law said" that homosexual marriage was illegal. Did that stop anyone from making it legal?

What about two sisters marrying each other? Why is that illegal?

Comment

Your flippant comment: “What's so irrational about limiting disease vectors?” was your direct response to my citing of the 2010 Hate Crimes Statistics released by the FBI National Press Office, whereby 19.3 % of hate crimes across the United States were motivated by a negative sexual orientation bias. So, in this context you were talking about eliminating homosexuals (seen by you as disease carriers) with apparent approval.
                  I never said I approve or disapprove, I just asked why it's, as you claimed, irrational. I can approve of irrational things and disapprove of rational things, as can you (and you do, in this case). As far as I can tell you and others like you like to claim anything that offends your sensibilities is "irrational" because being rational is practically a cultural imperative these days.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

We don't know what causes homosexuality, and while I don't dismiss the possibility I don't think it's particularly likely.

I still learn toward the chimera hypothesis as the most likely and consistent explanation, but let's be fair to actual scientists and university professors here
                    If that were the case male homosexuality should be a lot more common than female homosexuality but AFAIK it's the other way around.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                      Yet you've already used the word 'homophobic' at Epoetker... every time someone uses that it shows they've abandoned reasonable conversation.

'Homophobic' is code for "You don't agree with me on whatever 'gay issue' I'm pushing." It covers everything from raving homosexual haters (the few who might actually be homophobic) to reasonable people who just happen to firmly and persistently disagree, to people gay activists can't beat with a reasonable argument. It's worthless hyperbolic slander.
                      new amen button

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        You actually think that not liking someone, or even hating them, therefore makes your arguments against their position logically invalid??

That explains a lot.

Thanks for the textbook examples of logical fallacies, BTW. You've just about got the full set! Only a few more, I'm sure you can do it.
                        new amen button

Comment

• Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                          The beliefs of a so called "homophobe" about homosexuality may or may not be irrational. But somone allegedly being a "homophobe" doesn't invalidate their beliefs about anything in particular. Certainly not when their status as a "homophobe" is in dispute. It is like calling someone a "Christophobe" and preceding to claim that everything they say about Christianity, Christians, Christ or the Bible is wrong and invalid on that basis alone.
                          new amen button

Comment

Go back through this thread, find the post where I justifiably called you a liar in big bold letters, and figure it out on your own.

Hate Crime Statistics, 2010 includes the following information: "Of the 6,624 single bias incidents,
                            And that's why I force you to reference your points, because you'll conveniently leave out the fact that 6,624 "hate crime" incidents in a population of 300,000,000 is absolutely negligible! Take hate hoaxes and general attention-seeking into account and you have much less than the .00002% of the population being "victimized."

I can thus confidently say that there is no measurable "homophobia" epidemic, so quit trying to use it to worm your way out of answering the arguments. You're absolutely terrible with both numbers and statistics and should leave them alone until such time as you can draw intelligent conclusions from them.
                            Last edited by Epoetker; 09-21-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Go back through this thread, find the post where I justifiably called you a liar in big bold letters, and figure it out on your own.
                              So you accuse me of being a liar, "in big bold letters", but cannot support your accusation; and you think this is OK? Well Epoetker, it’s not.

And that's why I force you to reference your points, because you'll conveniently leave out the fact that 6,624 "hate crime" incidents in a population of 300,000,000 is absolutely negligible! Take hate hoaxes and general attention-seeking into account and you have much less than the .00002% of the population being "victimized."

I can thus confidently say that there is no measurable "homophobia" epidemic, so quit trying to use it to worm your way out of answering the arguments. You're absolutely terrible with both numbers and statistics and should leave them alone until such time as you can draw intelligent conclusions from them.
                              Where did I say there was a "homophobia epidemic”; answer, I didn't. Yet again you misrepresent those you debate with - presumably you feel the need to because it's all you've got.

The percentage of hate crimes consequent upon sexual orientation was 19.3% according to the FBI Statistics; this is the only point being made. You might consider this to be an “absolutely negligible” number of victims (one notes your scare-quotes around “victims”) but those of us who don’t base our moral compass upon extreme racist, homophobic blogs think that ANY number of hate crimes against ANY segment of the population is a matter of concern and not to be glibly hand-waved away by certain self-righteousness individuals seeking to justify their bigoted views.
                              Last edited by Tassman; 09-22-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                I never said I approve or disapprove, I just asked why it's, as you claimed, irrational. I can approve of irrational things and disapprove of rational things, as can you (and you do, in this case). As far as I can tell you and others like you like to claim anything that offends your sensibilities is "irrational" because being rational is practically a cultural imperative these days.
                                No! You did not "just ask" why it’s “irrational”; you asked “What's so irrational about limiting disease vectors?” There’s a difference. The context (hate crimes against homosexuals) made it clear that you were talking about eliminating homosexuals (seen by you as disease carriers) with apparent approval. So, are you now agreeing with me that hate crimes against homosexuals is NOT acceptable? Well done!
                                Last edited by Tassman; 09-22-2014, 04:52 AM.

Comment