Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Straight Guys Getting Married

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    Ironically earlier in this thread, IIRC, it was you who criticized another poster for acting dumb....
    The motivations, vows, ceremonial aspects, benefits, etc, are the same in a same-sex marriage as they are in a traditional marriage. Hence why I say the only real difference is the people involved, not in the marriage itself.

I quite understand
    Because I'm tired of repeating that it's perfectly okay to personally disapprove of one's reasons for marrying. Hope that's clear by now.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      *I* am not gay and have no intention of ever marrying someone of the same sex.
      My mistake. Perhaps it was someone else I recall their mentioning they were gay. Sorry.

I disagree with people who deny the right for same-sex couples to marry because I disagree with their main arguments for denying that right--that a religion says that marriage is exclusively between a man and a woman, and that the interpretation from that religion should be used to formulate laws for a nation whose government isn't supposed to respect an establishment of religion.
      And I disagree with the strawman reason you've given for RECOGNIZING marriages in the first place. It has nothing to do with love. There is no test the government gives to see if you are actually "in love" in order to get or stay legally married.

Meanwhile, I am not chiding others for exploiting a hole that advocates for marriage equality "blew in the institution of marriage." I am disapproving of a particular couple for choosing to marry for a non-serious, trivial reason. As has already been pointed out, straight couples did the same thing long before same-sex marriage was even seriously considered. I am disapproving of non-serious reasons in general, since I'd be saying the same thing about a straight couple who chose to marry for a non-serious reason. Since my reason for disapproving of these two men marrying is not at all the same reason I'm okay with other instances of two men marrying, I am not being hypocritical.
      And why do you get to determine what is "serious" and what isn't? What if these blokes stay married for the rest of their lives? Raph already told you that the local news coverage has indicated that they are not planning on a "2 year divorce". Plus, as I cited early in this thread, Millennials see marriage differently than you do, and many have what they call "trial marriages" that they enter knowing full well are typically not going to last. They look at your (and my) insistence that marriage is something more than a disposable contract as archaic nonsense best fit for the annals of history.

No one is disputing the first part. As for the second part, it's not my right to have personal thoughts about something? Are you restricting freedom of thought now?
      When you make a public spectacle of your thoughts, they are fair game. Think all you want, but when you speak it, be prepared to be lambasted.

Does it matter?
      Absolutely.

They wouldn't have gotten married in the first place if they hadn't heard about this contest.
      So what? And how do you know that? I already cited where Travis agreed even before he knew what was going on at all!

Ergo, the contest was the primary reason, which was non-serious and trivial.
      In your opinion. And there were other reasons why they stated they would stay married after the tournament. Do you consider marriage for societal recognition and benefits to be a "good" reason or a "bad" reason?

If they later on decided to try something like a marriage for serious reasons, I wouldn't have much of an issue with that.
      But they would have to meet YOUR standard of what constitutes a "good reason" before you would refrain from taking issue with something that is frankly none of your business? And you still don't see the hypocrisy in your attitude? Wow....

I have never argued anything like this. My personal position from the beginning has been that there ARE good reasons and bad reasons to marry, and that most gay couples want to marry for good reasons
      In YOUR opinion and definition of a "good reason". I'd call the same reason bad since other factors come into play.

--which is the main reason that I'm okay with it. You, like certain other posters in this thread, are evidently conflating me with what other people who ultimately agree with my position have said. But news flash--I'm a unique individual, not part of a monolithic whole that argues the exact same things. Address specifically what *I* say, not what you think others say.
      All you have basically said is that you think gays marry for "good" reasons, that "love" is all you need to be married, and that people that marry who do not meet your standard of a "good" reason should be classified as "insincere". But I'm sure you are going to claim otherwise...

I directly told you that I haven't made arguments like that, there's no evidence anywhere of me making arguments like that, and I even outlined what my arguments ACTUALLY are and you still believe otherwise? You're approaching full-on denial at this point.
      You've never claimed that marriage should be motivated by "sincere love"? Or that people can have different views of what "sincere love" is? I'm addressing your arguments, and using them against your hypocritical denunciation of these two guys' "clear" love for each other and the method by which they choose to display it (even temporarily and with a contest as a major driving force behind that display).
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        The motivations, vows, ceremonial aspects, benefits, etc, are the same in a same-sex marriage as they are in a traditional marriage. Hence why I say the only real difference is the people involved, not in the marriage itself.
        Straight people who get married don't usually intend to keep having sex with other people.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Straight people who get married don't usually intend to keep having sex with other people.
          And same sex couples are incapable of reproducing together, unlike most heterosexual marriages.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            And same sex couples are incapable of reproducing together, unlike most heterosexual marriages.
            Sometimes they still have kids though.

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Sometimes they still have kids though.
              You mean bought kids?
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                You mean bought kids?
                Did you even look at the pic I posted?

Comment

Did you even look at the pic I posted?
                  Yeah. Oh... you mean "HAVE" kids...
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Beats having to listen to retards cry about how evil my race/gender/religion are (while leeching off the accomplishments of people who share them).
                    So disenfranchising women, restoring slavery, bringing back the Jim Crow Laws and racial discrimination in all its forms, banning Jews from social clubs and putting homosexuals at risk of jail is preferable to you being irritated by people whose views you disagree with? Really! Are you suggesting that none of the above have ever contributed to society?
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      HAY GUYZ I'M JUST GONNA ATTEMPT TO DERAIL THIS THREAD WITH A TACTIC THAT DIDN'T WORK IN ANOTHER THREAD!
                      As we've seen previously, when a liberal says the issue is over and she's done, she's never done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        So disenfranchising women, restoring slavery, bringing back the Jim Crow Laws and racial discrimination in all its forms, banning Jews from social clubs and putting homosexuals at risk of jail is preferable to you being irritated by people whose views you disagree with? Really! Are you suggesting that none of the above have ever contributed to society?
                        Quite the opposite, the disenfranchisement of women, slavery, Jim Crow laws, racial discrimination, banning Jews from social clubs and putting homosexuals at risk of jail have contributed plenty to society.

Comment

Quite the opposite, the disenfranchisement of women, slavery, Jim Crow laws, racial discrimination, banning Jews from social clubs and putting homosexuals at risk of jail have contributed plenty to society.
                          Are you serious???
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Are you serious???
                            Are bears brown?

Comment

Are bears brown?
                              Some are... others are black or white or black and white...
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                Are you serious???
                                Yes he's serious. He's trying to turn his embarrassing insular attitudes into a joke, but "many a true word is spoken in jest".
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment