Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Straight Guys Getting Married

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How goes saying?

What is good for goosers
    ...good for ganders
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      If you support gay marriage, do you agree with the gay rights groups' condemnation of this marriage?
      Absolutely.

If so, why?
      Generally, gay couples want to marry because they've found someone whom they've come to deeply love and admire and cherish with all their heart, so much so that they want to create a new and special life with each other, spiritually becoming one, unified in a beautiful and mystical harmony, vowing to maintain this loving bond for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do they part. It just so happens that they can only experience this love towards members of the same sex.

Meanwhile, these two straight New Zealand folks can only experience that type of love towards members of the opposite sex, yet they're marrying members of the same sex, whom they don't feel that type of love towards, because...they want free rugby tickets. The reason for people's anger towards them should be obvious.

Suppose that you live in an Islamic theocracy in which the Muslim government had a centuries-long policy that forbade you from practicing Christianity, and even today there are still countries all over the world in which Christians are prohibited from practicing their religion. Meanwhile, a group of Muslims who've always been able to practice their religion freely and care not one lick about your faith decide to host a church service replete with rituals like baptism and communion, for no other reason than to win free tickets to some sporting event. I imagine that you'd feel essentially the same way that marriage equality advocates feel about this New Zealand incident.

Another question that comes to mind is this: if these two guys had lived somewhere that hadn't legalized gay marriage, would you argue that they were being discriminated against?
      Nope.

If not, well...why would you have a problem with two consenting adults getting married?
      In this instance, those two adults clearly don't love each other in that special, powerful way that compels people to marry in the first place. There's no sincerity behind it.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Why do some act like eros is the best love? What about agape and phileo?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          In this instance, those two adults clearly don't love each other in that special, powerful way that compels people to marry in the first place. There's no sincerity behind it.
          You deny that these two guys do not love each other, deeply respect each other as lifelong best friends, and plan to be in each others' lives for the rest of their lives?
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Again, there are people that think David and Jonathan were gay lovers and not friends. Can't people have close friendships without romance/sex?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Why do some act like eros is the best love?
              Who's doing that?

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              You deny that these two guys do not love each other, deeply respect each other as lifelong best friends, and plan to be in each others' lives for the rest of their lives?
              They certainly aren't doing so in the sense of marital love, which is the entire point of this in the first place. So if you could stop playing dumb, that'd be great.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

They certainly aren't doing so in the sense of marital love, which is the entire point of this in the first place. So if you could stop playing dumb, that'd be great.
                So, all "marital love" is alike?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't know if it was in this article but in one article I read the other day about this story, they said they expected to stay married for at least two years. It is clear then that no long term commitment is intended.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I don't know if it was in this article but in one article I read the other day about this story, they said they expected to stay married for at least two years. It is clear then that no long term commitment is intended.
                    Kind of like the "trial marriages" in the US?
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The whole thing seems stupid. Sounded like it belonged somewhere else...

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Again, there are people that think David and Jonathan were gay lovers and not friends. Can't people have close friendships without romance/sex?
                        Of course, but how is that relevant to anything? Who said anything about sex? The point here is that two people married for a stupid, self-serving reason instead of with the loving intention of starting a new life and journey together--that which marriage is supposed to be all about, in other words.

Comment

Of course, but how is that relevant to anything? Who said anything about sex? The point here is that two people married for a stupid, self-serving reason instead of with the loving intention of starting a new life and journey together--that which marriage is supposed to be all about, in other words.
                          People get married for all kinds of reasons, Peggie.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            People get married for all kinds of reasons, Peggie.
                            And that is completely immaterial to the fact that marriage is supposed to be about something different, unless you think that traditional straight marriage should be abolished because Britney Spears once partook in a 72-hour long marriage.

I thought I asked you to stop playing dumb.

Comment

And that is completely immaterial to the fact that marriage is supposed to be about something different, unless you think that traditional straight marriage should be abolished because Britney Spears once partook in a 72-hour long marriage.

I thought I asked you to stop playing dumb.
                              Square, you do realize that all they're doing is just redefining marriage, right?
                              -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                              Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                              Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                                Square, you do realize that all they're doing is just redefining marriage, right?
                                No, not at all. Unlike Bill the Cat, I post what I believe is true, instead of raising dumb objections that I don't even believe myself just because it might possibly score a rhetorical point.

But in any case, "the definition of marriage" isn't relevant to why marriage equality advocates are upset. It's because people trivialized and made a mockery of something that they take very seriously and have long fought for sincerely and passionately. As I analogized earlier, imagine that you lived in an Islamic theocracy in which Christians were forbidden to practice their religion, and then some Muslims who don't care about Christianity at all held a church service with rituals like baptism and communion for the sole reason of winning tickets to a rugby match. That's the essence of why people are upset.

Comment