Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ray Rice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Rice?

Should they have fired him? Here is a tweet from his wife this morning. Not only are they taking away Rice's livelihood they are taking the family's income.

"I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend. But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare in itself. No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass of for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Should they have fired him?
    Yes.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Should they have fired him?
      Yes, without hesitation. Being a great football player is no excuse.

Comment

Keep in mind the Ravens still owe him $25 million. He'll be fine financially. And if he was worried about that, maybe he should have thought about it before knocking somebody out cold.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Keep in mind the Ravens still owe him $25 million. He'll be fine financially. And if he was worried about that, maybe he should have thought about it before knocking somebody out cold.
          Does he still get the money? I thought that was forfeited.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

He should be in jail for assault and battery. And his wife is a gold-digging moron.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Does he still get the money? I thought that was forfeited.
              It seems so: http://kfor.com/2014/09/09/ray-rice-...ep-25-million/

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Yes, without hesitation. Being a great football player is no excuse.
                Perhaps, but he and his wife have worked through it. Was this a one off, done in a fit of passion, or a continuous behavior. If it is the former I think it is a little severe.

Comment

Another issue is that he apparently misled his team about what happened: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ne-in-the-nfl/ Even if just viewed from a business perspective, lying to your bosses is generally considered fireable.

Comment

Perhaps, but he and his wife have worked through it. Was this a one off, done in a fit of passion, or a continuous behavior. If it is the former I think it is a little severe.
                    Don't become an apologist for wife beaters.

He is not the victim, he's a guilty person of a serious crime. That's the end of it. I don't care how famous you are, or how much you love or hate a person, if you physically assault them you've vastly overstepped the line of anything that can be apologised for.

Comment

Don't become an apologist for wife beaters.

He is not the victim, he's a guilty person of a serious crime. That's the end of it. I don't care how famous you are, or how much you love or hate a person, if you physically assault them you've vastly overstepped the line of anything that can be apologised for.
                      Well it is not just him that is affected, it is his wife and larger family. And I don't defend wife beaters. When I was eight or nine I slapped my cousin Beth - man you would have thought I killed the Pope! A man never, ever hits a woman. And that was reinforced by all the men in my family. I just think the punishment was inappropriate. Perhaps a larger fine and a year suspension?

Comment

Well it is not just him that is affected, it is his wife and larger family.
                        First of all, they weren't married they were simple engaged, which puts Janet Palmer in an even worse position. She walks away a victim of assault, or she enters into a marriage with a guy who physically assaulted her. In either case she doesn't get much. If she had been married she could have legitimately filed for divorce and taken him down for half of what he owned.

To crown his glory he walks away with 25 million dollars, the only shame is that he got an early leave from a football career that was already well on its way to ending.

He got off way too easy.

And I don't defend wife beaters.
                        Considering the fact that you're angling this entire thread not around Janet Palmer, but Rice Ray, what do you think it looks like?

Stop minimizing what's happened, focus on the real victim here: the woman knocked unconscious by her heavy set running back, then dragged around and told everyone was simple too drunk to stand.

Perhaps a larger fine and a year suspension?
                        A fine, and a payment to Janet Palmer at least, as well as being kicked out of the NFL.

Comment

Considering the fact that you're angling this entire thread not around Janet Palmer, but Rice Ray, what do you think it looks like?
                          That seems unfair.

FWIW, based on what I've heard (which is almost nothing), I don't have a problem with the punishment at all. This guy deserves anything he gets, IMO.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

No, in the OP I quoted his wife. She is the person most affected, and she has forgiven him, and didn't want his firing. Doesn't her opinion count for anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              That seems unfair.
                              There's a very bad tendency to minimise these events when they come out. That's what seer is doing whether he realises it or not. He's shifting blame away from Rice's physical assault of a woman, to the NFL being unfair.

There's no doubt that they aren't, and I have little doubt that he deserves far worse than he got. Janet Palmer ought to have gotten a high payment for what happened to her, his career ends immediately and his contract is cancelled (he doesn't get the 25 million dollars).

Comment