Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ray Rice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CFL has declared that he is not welcome there either.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      The CFL has declared that he is not welcome there either.
      He'll be flipping burgers for a while until he gets a decent job.

Comment

Or he could bank the $25 mil and live off of the ~$750k - $1m/ yr interest...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          C'mon... he's got a family to feed
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            I know right? Its not as if paying this penalty would really hurt a big league player.

Comment

The inherently violent nature of football, with former players overwhelmingly dealing with health issues and getting addicted to painkillers and losing their memories... I'm not going to lie, my interest is starting to go away. It's certainly not what it once was. I'm still watching Chiefs games with my dad and playing fantasy with my friends, but it's nearing the point where I can take it or leave it.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                Why would you think that? Ray Rice was fatherless because his father was killed, not because he abandoned the family.
                Didn't recall that fact. Most families are fatherless because mom and dad split, not due to homicide.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The inherently violent nature of football, with former players overwhelmingly dealing with health issues and getting addicted to painkillers and losing their memories... I'm not going to lie, my interest is starting to go away. It's certainly not what it once was. I'm still watching Chiefs games with my dad and playing fantasy with my friends, but it's nearing the point where I can take it or leave it.
                  From what I read a mandatory weight limit would help a lot. I would say to play you have to be under 250lbs.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    From what I read a mandatory weight limit would help a lot. I would say to play you have to be under 250lbs.
                    That would help limit injuries to linemen, but would address other players minimally (if at all). And a weight limit without taking into account body frame is rather arbitrary IMO.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      That would help limit injuries to linemen, but would address other players minimally (if at all). And a weight limit without taking into account body frame is rather arbitrary IMO.
                      Yes, but a lot of this has to do with weight. I think generally a Quarterback or Running back would rather be hit by a 250 pounds man than a 325 pound man.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Yes, but a lot of this has to do with weight. I think generally a Quarterback or Running back would rather be hit by a 250 pounds man than a 325 pound man.
                        Linebackers make most of the tackles on QBs/RBs though - and Defensive Ends, who are the most likely linemen to make tackles, tend to play at less than 300.

sigpic

Comment

Vox Day has the credited response. Third-degree assault is the weakest assault:

There are punches thrown in NFL games and practices every single week. If the NFL were to apply the one-punch standard consistently, half the African players would be out of the league by the end of the season.

This is not to say that Ray Rice is a good guy. If you watch the video closely, it looks like he does something to provoke her in some way at the elevator buttons. It almost looks as if he spits at her, she shoves him, he shoves back, and then she charges him and gets KO'd. We're clearly not dealing with a pair of innocent angels here.

But here is the salient point. He's not "beating her up". He's not abusing her. He's not attacking her. In fact, the reason she got knocked out isn't because he's a big strong man, but because she was rushing at him. What he threw was clearly a defensive punch, and quite likely an instinctive one. I've been knocked out in much the same way while sparring, by walking directly into the sort of jab that one normally wouldn't even feel. Remember, F=MA, so while Rice has a fair amount of Mass, a significant part of the Acceleration that provided the knockout force came from her rushing towards him.

There is a reason the prosecutor saw fit to allow Rice to avoid trial, most likely because there is considerably more than a reasonable doubt involved. One never knows with the inaptly named U.S. "justice" system, but it is highly unlikely that Rice would have been convicted of the one count of third-degree aggravated assault with which he was charged. To call his one-punch KO an assault, or even abuse, is to insult the men and women who are genuinely assaulted and abused. While ignorant people only look at the effect of Mrs. Rice crumpling to the ground, anyone with fighting experience is looking at how she rushed at him, how he retreated to the side of the elevator, and how he didn't step into the punch or snap his hips. The police appear to have taken notice of these things as well.

"After reviewing surveillance footage it appeared both parties were involved in a physical altercation," read the Atlantic City Police report."

Lest you forget, intent matters greatly with regards to the law, and there is absolutely no indication that Ray Rice entered that elevator with any intent to harm his fiance or that he had any intent to do more than keep her off him when she rushed him. In fact, the only party that is seriously harming his fiance, now his wife, is the NFL, as Roger Goodell is depriving her husband of his ability to support her. That will certainly have more long-term negative effects on her than thirty seconds of unconsciousness did.
                          Leonhard, the reason we minimize these issues is because they absolutely deserve minimization under the present social order. And to the rest of you, if you're taking the attitude that A MAN CAN NEVER HIT A WOMAN AND MUST BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL CONSEQUENCES AND INJURIES CAUSED BY A WOMAN'S ACTIONS, you should probably start getting yourself an actual philosophy and practice of patriarchy rather than settling for one-off emotional responses in a social system that is anything but.

Comment