Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Liberal Madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoetker
    replied
    I use "spite" more than "madness" in these cases.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Do you think that the Catholic, mainline Protestant, and Muslim groups have missions more like Hillel and less like the IVCF?
    Since none were actually specifically cited, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Maybe they have different missions. Hillel, specifically cited in the article I linked, has this as their raison d'etre:

For nearly a century, Hillel’s network of dedicated student leaders, professionals and volunteers have encouraged generations of young adults to celebrate Jewish learning and living, pursue social justice (tikkun olam and tzedek) and connect to their peers and the global Jewish people.

All it takes is a knowledge of Judaism to be able to lead others in discovering Judaism and the social justice Hillel espouses. Hillel is not a religious organization. There is no indication that Judaism's rituals have to even be observed to be a leader. The InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is much more focused on the religious aspect of campus life:

The Purpose of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA is to establish and advance at colleges and universities witnessing communities of students and faculty who follow Jesus as Savior and Lord: growing in love for God, God's Word, God's people of every ethnicity and culture and God's purposes in the world.
    Do you think that the Catholic, mainline Protestant, and Muslim groups have missions more like Hillel and less like the IVCF?

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Or an all-white board of the college's Black Student Association...
    There is a magnet school in Northern Virginia that has a white president of the Black Student Union. But the "diversity loving" NAACP education chair doesn't like it one bit:

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/problem-or-progress-white-student-leads-black-club-at-n-virginia-high-school/2012/04/01/gIQArXXkpS_story.html

“If you have a black-student union and the person who is over it is white . . . what does that say? The pool [of black students] is not that large there,” said Charisse Glassman, who chairs the Fairfax County NAACP’s education committee and has met with TJ officials to discuss ways to increase minority enrollment. “A white person cannot understand what black children are going though when they go to that school.”

© Copyright Original Source

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Great, so that means Republicans can take over the Democrat groups at the college.
    Or an all-white board of the college's Black Student Association...

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Great, so that means Republicans can take over the Democrat groups at the college.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    And why would other Christian groups not have an issue? That's my point.
    Maybe they have different missions. Hillel, specifically cited in the article I linked, has this as their raison d'etre:

For nearly a century, Hillel’s network of dedicated student leaders, professionals and volunteers have encouraged generations of young adults to celebrate Jewish learning and living, pursue social justice (tikkun olam and tzedek) and connect to their peers and the global Jewish people.

All it takes is a knowledge of Judaism to be able to lead others in discovering Judaism and the social justice Hillel espouses. Hillel is not a religious organization. There is no indication that Judaism's rituals have to even be observed to be a leader. The InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is much more focused on the religious aspect of campus life:

The Purpose of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA is to establish and advance at colleges and universities witnessing communities of students and faculty who follow Jesus as Savior and Lord: growing in love for God, God's Word, God's people of every ethnicity and culture and God's purposes in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Surre you didn't, you just said:

"That plus the fact that non-Evangelical groups don't seem to have a problem with compliance makes me think the issue isn't as it seems."

Gosh, why would a Christian group, who made it their mission to spread Christian principles, have an issue with non Christians among their leadership?
    And why would other Christian groups not have an issue? That's my point.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    I don't know what you're talking about. Do you understand that I didn't take a side in the issue?
    Surre you didn't, you just said:

"That plus the fact that non-Evangelical groups don't seem to have a problem with compliance makes me think the issue isn't as it seems."

Gosh, why would a Christian group, who made it their mission to spread Christian principles, have an issue with non Christians among their leadership?

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Muslims are progressive?
    Worldwide, no, but in the West? Yeah, pretty much. Particularly in college. Most western muslims are liberals running away from the Allahu Akbars in their home countries.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

So PETA shouldn't have a problem with somebody who works with the meat packers union being in a position of power within their group. Correct?
    I don't know what you're talking about. Do you understand that I didn't take a side in the issue?

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    They don't have a problem because they're all part of the progressive machine and are unlikely to suffer from subversive infiltration. Evangelicals are the only ones still holding out.
    Muslims are progressive?

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The better question is what is to be gained from this? I mean other than destroying the presence of Evangelicals on campus and esuring its progressive dominance will no longer suffer even the slightest opposition.
    Yeah.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    But why would PETA elect a meat packer to be a leader in their group? The only reason I see for concern is if you are afraid of subversive ifiltration of the entire group, as Dart Executor notes above. Is that a real concern? And, even if it is, should a universities ultimately be responsible for preventing people from subversively infiltrating groups volunteer groups, eg, meat packers claiming they are vegetarians, Catholics claiming they are Protestants, Jews claiming they are Muslims, etc?
    It's an example to show how absurd the entire line of reasoning is. PETA is a group dedicated to animal rights and why would it accept a person into a position of leadership that doesn't agree with the group mentality? It wouldn't make sense, so why would it make sense for a group dedicated to the principles of Christianity to allow non Christians to be within positions of leadership? I don't think it would or should, so why would they want non Christians in positions of leadership anymore than any other organizations would want the same thing? As for the group infiltration thing, I don't think it has much relevance to this issue since we are discussing if an exclusive religious group should be allowed on a college campus to begin with. If other groups are allowed to be, why can't a religious group?

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    But why would PETA elect a meat packer to be a leader in their group? The only reason I see for concern is if you are afraid of subversive infiltration of the entire group, as Dart Executor notes above. Is that a real concern? And, even if it is, should a universities ultimately be responsible for preventing people from subversively infiltrating groups volunteer groups, eg, meat packers claiming they are vegetarians, Catholics claiming they are Protestants, Jews claiming they are Muslims, etc?
    The better question is what is to be gained from this? I mean other than destroying the presence of Evangelicals on campus and esuring its progressive dominance will no longer suffer even the slightest opposition.

Leave a comment: