Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Liberal Madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Liberal Madness!

Really? Really?

InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) has been, in modern campus terminology, “derecognized” by California State University schools. Basically, they will no longer be a recognized campus organization on any of the 23 schools in that system. IVCF has been derecognized because they require their leaders to have Christian beliefs.

It's not just InterVarsity that will be impacted. Following the same logic, any group that insists on requiring its leaders to follow an agreed upon set of guiding beliefs is no longer kosher (irony intended) at California's state universities. This will impact many other faith-based organizations with actual, well, faith-based beliefs. Presumably, even People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals would have to allow Oscar Meyer to lead their campus chapters.

Only in a modern American university would this make any sense.

Now, it’s not persecution. Christians are not banned. People can share their faith. But, now, what we once called “equal access” has taken another hit—people of faith do not have equal access to the university community, like the environmentalist club, the LGBT organization, or the chess club.

The university system has decided that speech with beliefs that undergird it—and shape how it is organized—has to be derecognized.
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/eds...universit.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The story broke in June:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/us...as-policy.html

Not surprising that they actually went through with it.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      The story broke in June:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/us...as-policy.html

Not surprising that they actually went through with it.
      These people really are mad, lunatics, in every sense of the word.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Is Islam impacted in any way by this?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Is Islam impacted in any way by this?
          According the the New York Times article linked by Bill the Cat, all religious groups are impacted if they do not agree to allow for a leader from any religion. Muslim groups, as well as Jewish, Catholic, and mainline Protestant groups, took no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            According the the New York Times article linked by Bill the Cat, all religious groups are impacted if they do not agree to allow for a leader from any religion. Muslim groups, as well as Jewish, Catholic, and mainline Protestant groups, took no issue.
            This requirement doesn't strike you as...odd?

I mean, if a Christian applied to be the leader of an atheist group, and was rejected on the grounds that he's not an atheist, should his complaint hold any water?
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              This requirement doesn't strike you as...odd?

I mean, if a Christian applied to be the leader of an atheist group, and was rejected on the grounds that he's not an atheist, should his complaint hold any water?
              I don't know. I thought the idea was silly at first, but in that NYT article is says that Hillel has elected non-Jewish people to student boards. That plus the fact that non-Evangelical groups don't seem to have a problem with compliance makes me think the issue isn't as it seems.

Comment

I don't know. I thought the idea was silly at first, but in that NYT article is says that Hillel has elected non-Jewish people to student boards. That plus the fact that non-Evangelical groups don't seem to have a problem with compliance makes me think the issue isn't as it seems.
                They don't have a problem because they're all part of the progressive machine and are unlikely to suffer from subversive infiltration. Evangelicals are the only ones still holding out.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

So PETA shouldn't have a problem with somebody who works with the meat packers union being in a position of power within their group. Correct?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

So PETA shouldn't have a problem with somebody who works with the meat packers union being in a position of power within their group. Correct?
                    But why would PETA elect a meat packer to be a leader in their group? The only reason I see for concern is if you are afraid of subversive infiltration of the entire group, as Dart Executor notes above. Is that a real concern? And, even if it is, should a universities ultimately be responsible for preventing people from subversively infiltrating groups volunteer groups, eg, meat packers claiming they are vegetarians, Catholics claiming they are Protestants, Jews claiming they are Muslims, etc?
                    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      But why would PETA elect a meat packer to be a leader in their group? The only reason I see for concern is if you are afraid of subversive infiltration of the entire group, as Dart Executor notes above. Is that a real concern? And, even if it is, should a universities ultimately be responsible for preventing people from subversively infiltrating groups volunteer groups, eg, meat packers claiming they are vegetarians, Catholics claiming they are Protestants, Jews claiming they are Muslims, etc?
                      The better question is what is to be gained from this? I mean other than destroying the presence of Evangelicals on campus and esuring its progressive dominance will no longer suffer even the slightest opposition.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        But why would PETA elect a meat packer to be a leader in their group? The only reason I see for concern is if you are afraid of subversive ifiltration of the entire group, as Dart Executor notes above. Is that a real concern? And, even if it is, should a universities ultimately be responsible for preventing people from subversively infiltrating groups volunteer groups, eg, meat packers claiming they are vegetarians, Catholics claiming they are Protestants, Jews claiming they are Muslims, etc?
                        It's an example to show how absurd the entire line of reasoning is. PETA is a group dedicated to animal rights and why would it accept a person into a position of leadership that doesn't agree with the group mentality? It wouldn't make sense, so why would it make sense for a group dedicated to the principles of Christianity to allow non Christians to be within positions of leadership? I don't think it would or should, so why would they want non Christians in positions of leadership anymore than any other organizations would want the same thing? As for the group infiltration thing, I don't think it has much relevance to this issue since we are discussing if an exclusive religious group should be allowed on a college campus to begin with. If other groups are allowed to be, why can't a religious group?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          The better question is what is to be gained from this? I mean other than destroying the presence of Evangelicals on campus and esuring its progressive dominance will no longer suffer even the slightest opposition.
                          Yeah.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            They don't have a problem because they're all part of the progressive machine and are unlikely to suffer from subversive infiltration. Evangelicals are the only ones still holding out.
                            Muslims are progressive?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

I don't know what you're talking about. Do you understand that I didn't take a side in the issue?

Comment