Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Liberal Madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Muslims are progressive?
    Worldwide, no, but in the West? Yeah, pretty much. Particularly in college. Most western muslims are liberals running away from the Allahu Akbars in their home countries.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about. Do you understand that I didn't take a side in the issue?
      Surre you didn't, you just said:

"That plus the fact that non-Evangelical groups don't seem to have a problem with compliance makes me think the issue isn't as it seems."

Gosh, why would a Christian group, who made it their mission to spread Christian principles, have an issue with non Christians among their leadership?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Surre you didn't, you just said:

"That plus the fact that non-Evangelical groups don't seem to have a problem with compliance makes me think the issue isn't as it seems."

Gosh, why would a Christian group, who made it their mission to spread Christian principles, have an issue with non Christians among their leadership?
        And why would other Christian groups not have an issue? That's my point.

Comment

And why would other Christian groups not have an issue? That's my point.
          Maybe they have different missions. Hillel, specifically cited in the article I linked, has this as their raison d'etre:

For nearly a century, Hillel’s network of dedicated student leaders, professionals and volunteers have encouraged generations of young adults to celebrate Jewish learning and living, pursue social justice (tikkun olam and tzedek) and connect to their peers and the global Jewish people.

All it takes is a knowledge of Judaism to be able to lead others in discovering Judaism and the social justice Hillel espouses. Hillel is not a religious organization. There is no indication that Judaism's rituals have to even be observed to be a leader. The InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is much more focused on the religious aspect of campus life:

The Purpose of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA is to establish and advance at colleges and universities witnessing communities of students and faculty who follow Jesus as Savior and Lord: growing in love for God, God's Word, God's people of every ethnicity and culture and God's purposes in the world.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Great, so that means Republicans can take over the Democrat groups at the college.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Great, so that means Republicans can take over the Democrat groups at the college.
              Or an all-white board of the college's Black Student Association...
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Or an all-white board of the college's Black Student Association...
                There is a magnet school in Northern Virginia that has a white president of the Black Student Union. But the "diversity loving" NAACP education chair doesn't like it one bit:

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/problem-or-progress-white-student-leads-black-club-at-n-virginia-high-school/2012/04/01/gIQArXXkpS_story.html

“If you have a black-student union and the person who is over it is white . . . what does that say? The pool [of black students] is not that large there,” said Charisse Glassman, who chairs the Fairfax County NAACP’s education committee and has met with TJ officials to discuss ways to increase minority enrollment. “A white person cannot understand what black children are going though when they go to that school.”

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Maybe they have different missions. Hillel, specifically cited in the article I linked, has this as their raison d'etre:

For nearly a century, Hillel’s network of dedicated student leaders, professionals and volunteers have encouraged generations of young adults to celebrate Jewish learning and living, pursue social justice (tikkun olam and tzedek) and connect to their peers and the global Jewish people.

All it takes is a knowledge of Judaism to be able to lead others in discovering Judaism and the social justice Hillel espouses. Hillel is not a religious organization. There is no indication that Judaism's rituals have to even be observed to be a leader. The InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is much more focused on the religious aspect of campus life:

The Purpose of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA is to establish and advance at colleges and universities witnessing communities of students and faculty who follow Jesus as Savior and Lord: growing in love for God, God's Word, God's people of every ethnicity and culture and God's purposes in the world.
                  Do you think that the Catholic, mainline Protestant, and Muslim groups have missions more like Hillel and less like the IVCF?

Comment

Do you think that the Catholic, mainline Protestant, and Muslim groups have missions more like Hillel and less like the IVCF?
                    Since none were actually specifically cited, I don't know.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I use "spite" more than "madness" in these cases.

Comment