Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Stand Down" During Benghazi Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Did it seem like a biased program?
    Probably yes, but the audio they played sounded like the same montage of video clips I saw on TV, and she was all over the map, really annoying the reporters.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Probably yes, but the audio they played sounded like the same montage of video clips I saw on TV, and she was all over the map, really annoying the reporters.
      So you saw it on TV also? And on TV, it was a 'montage', ie, a bunch of edited smaller segments spliced together? Is that correct?
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

So you saw it on TV also? And on TV, it was a 'montage', ie, a bunch of edited smaller segments spliced together? Is that correct?
        I originally saw it on TV, yes, but I think the "clips" were long enough that they weren't just yanked out of context -- she very deliberately says what she says -- followed by another clip where she's very deliberately saying something else, and saying, "As I've been saying all along"....

That's something I've really noticed with the "most transparent administration in history" --- they seem to think they can just say "as I've been saying all along", and we're going to forget that they said something TOTALLY DIFFERENT in the past.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did you hear a remix on Rush Limbaugh or Fox News or some other biased source?

What sources do you consider to be unbiased?

Comment

Did it seem like a biased program?
            I don't think that's the way to think of Rush. It's not about bias, it's about being conspicuously outrageous. There's a good deal of pandering involved, but colorfully wrong attracts listeners who get a kick out of being outraged, too. Train wrecks get an audience, and it's the size of the audience that determines his pay, not the nature of the audience.

It's not news, or even opinion. We call them shock jocks over here. Nobody knows what shock jocks actually believe.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post

What sources do you consider to be unbiased?
              For example, watching the whole video unedited would not allow for any bias to be added by someone intentionally editing and stringing together quotes out of context.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

For example, watching the whole video unedited would not allow for any bias to be added by someone intentionally editing and stringing together quotes out of context.
                Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  I don't think that's the way to think of Rush. It's not about bias, it's about being conspicuously outrageous. There's a good deal of pandering involved, but colorfully wrong attracts listeners who get a kick out of being outraged, too. Train wrecks get an audience, and it's the size of the audience that determines his pay, not the nature of the audience.

It's not news, or even opinion. We call them shock jocks over here. Nobody knows what shock jocks actually believe.

As ever, Jesse
                  That sounds like a comment by someone who does not actually listen to Rush, but rather parrots a popular prejudice about him.

I do not "get a kick out of being outraged"; nor am I outraged by anything I hear as I listen to Rush every weekday.

I do enjoy good humor and insightful analysis that rings true and proves to be true over time in terms of not only years but decades. I first started listening to Rush the year he started his national show about 26 years ago. I could not listen much the first 16 years because of my job. However, when I retired 20 years ago, I had nothing better to do during lunch, so I have listened daily ever since.

When I hear or read people making disparaging comments about him, the comments tell me much about the commenters, but nothing real about Rush.
                  Last edited by John Reece; 09-06-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu
                    It's not about bias, it's about being conspicuously outrageous.
                    It's not about the fact that you committed a giant debacle, it's about labeling those who investigate and raise awareness that debacle 'trolls' so that no one pays attention to the details.

We call them shock jocks over here. Nobody knows what shock jocks actually believe.
                    Fortunately, we know exactly what hacks like you believe, whether you play the role of a world-weary fellow-sufferer ( ) or the noble voice of academic reason. Trouble is, it's all an act, and you'll eventually end up reading a line from your talking points that's so idiotic that everyone you hoped to influence leaves your show:

The YouTube video played a visible role in the Benghazi attacks.
                    The youtube video, like most of your link, was a distraction. It covered for the actual heavy-weapons and planning operation. You haven't refuted a single thing any prominent conservative has said, you've just dragged a few tiny shrubs onto the field of debate and claimed that a DEEPER AND MORE DETAILED TRUTH THAT WILL DEFEAT YOUR PUNY REPUBLICAN REACTION is underneath.

Your threadbare 'verifications' and 'rebuttals', most of which are straw men, have proved nothing other than what I've maintained all along-that humanitarian intervention in that region is a waste of time, that our Democratic government is a bunch of incompetent careerists who most certainly will leave even their own to die in other countries if it advances their own careers, that serious Muslims are incapable of civilization in any lasting sense, and that liberals have absolutely no guilt or shame about their failures and dead friends while in power.

But hey, as long as they're in power now, you have some cover for LARPing as a serious person. What acting role will you play post-revolution, I wonder?

(waiting for the inevitable Hamlet rejoinders now...)
                    Last edited by Epoetker; 09-06-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

It's not news, or even opinion. We call them shock jocks over here.
                      Where is "over here"? Is that academiasville?

Nobody knows what shock jocks actually believe.
                      I haven't listened to Rush in a long time, but I used to listen a LOT, and while he certainly DOES enjoy controversy and attention, any honest individual who has actually listened to him knows what he believes.

One of his lines I still use (don't know if he still uses it) is "the purpose of the military is to kill people and break things".

As ever, Jesse
                      Yuh

Comment

One of his lines I still use (don't know if he still uses it) is "the purpose of the military is to kill people and break things".
                        Rarely, but occasionally, when it's warranted. See here.

robrecht made a good point about people deserving to be heard fully and in context.

One of the big sins against Rush Limbaugh is that, though he is perhaps one of the most quoted media figures, he is almost always quoted out of context, and misconstrued in the process.

Hillary is a key figure in this thread. I remember hearing her credit herself with being a co-founder of Media Matters, which was created primarily to monitor conservative programs and to take out of context and misconstrue what was said on such programs.

Rush deserves to be heard in context just as much as does any administration spokesperson.

ETA: By the way, just because I listen to Rush every day doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with everything he says. I quit listening to him for short periods of time in the early years, because of disagreements with things he said. But I have found him to be quite interesting and worth listening to whether I agree with him or not.
                        Last edited by John Reece; 09-06-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Where is "over here"? Is that academiasville?
                          Did you miss that Robrecht isn't American?

I haven't listened to Rush in a long time, but I used to listen a LOT, and while he certainly DOES enjoy controversy and attention, any honest individual who has actually listened to him knows what he believes.
                          I've never listened to him other than what was necessary to follow back on a story he's hyped. He's not just wrong. It's too calculated for that. Just for example, nobody could have been that far off on the Sandra Fluke testimony by accident. There's a long list of similar stories where little more than the names were accurate.

Never trust the honesty of the opinions of someone who makes $70 million a year to have opinions people want to listen to. That's too much money to just let go with your feelings.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

His name is not Robrecht; it is robrecht.

IIRC, although he has a world-class education, most of which was attained in Europe, he was born in America, and lives in America, and is an American.

I've never listened to him other than what was necessary to follow back on a story he's hyped. He's not just wrong. It's too calculated for that. Just for example, nobody could have been that far off on the Sandra Fluke testimony by accident. There's a long list of similar stories where little more than the names were accurate
                            The fact that you disagree with him does not mean he is wrong; more likely, it means he is right.

Never trust the honesty of the opinions of someone who makes $70 million a year to have opinions people want to listen to. That's too much money to just let go with your feelings.
                            Apply that logic the the multiple billions spent annually funding research grants earmarked to support the hypothesis of catastrophic AGW.

Listening to Rush is not a matter of "feelings"; rather it is a matter of thought.

Rush's income is derived from advertisements.

What he says is not related to the advertisements except by way of the popularity of his show ― i.e., multiple millions of daily listeners.

As a regular listener, I can attest to the fact that his popularity is rooted as much in his consistent and constant honesty as it is in his knowledge and wisdom.
                            Last edited by John Reece; 09-06-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by john reece View Post

His name is not robrecht; it is robrecht.

Iirc, although he has a world-class education, most of which was attained in europe, he was born in america, and lives in america, and is an american.
                              He speaks like a European. My apologies.

Apply that logic the the multiple billions spent annually funding research grants earmarked to support the hypothesis of catastrophic agw.
                              I thought you said you weren't listening to Rush? Oh wait, that was CP.

More directly, those billions are the product of an over-ripe imagination, unlike the actual trillions in fossil fuel resources controlled by the folks who promote those imaginings.

Just by the way, trillions are bigger than billions. By quite a bit. Logic wins again.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Yeah, about that....

You and your conspiracy theories! That's just whack!

Comment