Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Stand Down" During Benghazi Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stand Down" During Benghazi Attack

New Book Says C.I.A. Official in Benghazi Held Up Rescue - Source NYT

Source: NYT

CAIRO — Five commandos guarding the C.I.A. base in Benghazi, Libya, in September 2012 say that the base chief stopped them from interceding in time to save the lives of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and an American technician during the attack on the diplomatic mission there.

In a new book scheduled for release next week and obtained by The New York Times, the commandos say they protested repeatedly as the base chief ordered them to wait in their vehicles, fully armed, for 20 minutes while the attack on the diplomatic mission was unfolding less than a mile away.

“If you guys do not get here, we are going to die!” a diplomatic security agent then shouted to them over the radio, the commandos say in the book, and they left the base in defiance of the chief’s continuing order to “stand down.”

© Copyright Original Source

OK, they're claiming they were forced to "stand down" by the CIA Station Chief.
    Now, obviously, they have a book to sell, but other than that, what's their motive for lying?

White House is trying to debunk this --- comments?
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-05-2014, 04:46 PM. Reason: Had my closing Cite tag in wrong place
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Before somebody else jumps on this --- an update to this article....

Source: same article

Correction: September 5, 2014

An earlier version of this article referred incorrectly to the C.I.A. official who is accused by the authors of “13 Hours” of holding them back from interceding to defend the diplomatic mission in Benghazi. The official was the agency’s base chief in Benghazi, not station chief.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Now, obviously, they have a book to sell, but other than that, what's their motive for lying?

White House is trying to debunk this --- comments?
      The NYTimes ran a solid investigative piece last December, A Deadly Mix in Benghazi from the same reporter, David D. Kirkpatrick, who says in this story, New Book Says C.I.A. Official in Benghazi Held Up Rescue:
      The commandos’ account — which fits with the publicly known facts and chronology — suggests that the base chief issued the “stand down” orders on his own authority. He hoped to enlist local Libyan militiamen, and the commandos speculate that he hoped the Libyans could carry out the rescue alone to avoid exposing the C.I.A. base.

That verification is on Kirkpatrick's own hook.

I agree they've got a book to sell, but how do you know they're lying? I obviously haven't been following the 24/7 Benghazi ... umm, coverage? ... on fringe media, but from what I can see here, the story seems to hang together. We know the diplomatic mission's defense was tasked to local Libyans, and we know the CIA was trying to keep their own base under cover.

It would make sense if "Bob" ordered them to stand down.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

... White House is trying to debunk this --- comments?
        What are they saying?
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          I agree they've got a book to sell, but how do you know they're lying?
          I don't think they are.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            What are they saying?
            It was interesting to watch --- boy, I wish I could remember her name (a young lady who speaks for the state department who looks like she's in WAY over her head) that, first, there WAS NO "stand down" order, but then it morphed into "they were told to wait", and finally, "their boss just wanted to make sure they were properly outfitted with weapons and equipment"....

Seriously, watching Obama's "spokespeople" try to make sense out of this administration's horrendous foreign policy is beyond ridiculous.

ETA: Marie Harf
            state.jpg

Comment

Just look at this poor woman shoveling out happy crap.

It looks like a parody of a bad State Department briefing.

Comment

Just look at this poor woman shoveling out happy crap.

It looks like a parody of a bad State Department briefing.
                Wow.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  Wow.
                  That's on a GOOD day!

Comment

That's on a GOOD day!
                    What's the big deal? She is not allowed to announce or confirm if specific individual meetings took place, obviously to protect the sensitivity of negotiations in process. She can say, to correct a false report, that no scheduled meetings were cancelled.

Comment

What's the big deal? She is not allowed to announce or confirm if specific individual meetings took place, obviously to protect the sensitivity of negotiations in process. She can say, to correct a false report, that no scheduled meetings were cancelled.
                      That was just a sample -- I'm looking for video of the one I saw today.

And what would have been wrong with her just saying, "yes, that meeting took place as scheduled". That's all they were asking for.

Comment

It was interesting to watch --- boy, I wish I could remember her name (a young lady who speaks for the state department who looks like she's in WAY over her head) that, first, there WAS NO "stand down" order, but then it morphed into "they were told to wait", and finally, "their boss just wanted to make sure they were properly outfitted with weapons and equipment"....

Seriously, watching Obama's "spokespeople" try to make sense out of this administration's horrendous foreign policy is beyond ridiculous.

ETA: Marie Harf
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]1940[/ATTACH]
                        Seems like the CIA would be the correct agency to ask about this, not the State Department. I wonder if the CIA would fully brief the State Department, let alone the press.

Comment

That was just a sample -- I'm looking for video of the one I saw today.

And what would have been wrong with her just saying, "yes, that meeting took place as scheduled". That's all they were asking for.
                          Because she is not allowed to announce, comment upon, or confirm specific individual meetings. Heck, Dick Cheney would not even make public the people he was meeting with from the oil industries with respect to energy policy. Israel-Palestinian negotiations are a bit more sensitive than that. I can understand why they might want to keep some things confidential during sensitive negotiations.

Comment

Seems like the CIA would be the correct agency to ask about this, not the State Department. I wonder if the CIA would fully brief the State Department, let alone the press.
                            I have a much longer answer to this involving our Embassies and Missions, and who guards them, but I'll save that for another day... if she believed the CIA was the proper agency to answer that, it would have been good of her to state that.

Comment

Because she is not allowed to announce, comment upon, or confirm specific individual meetings. Heck, Dick Cheney would not even make public the people he was meeting with from the oil industries with respect to energy policy. Israel-Palestinian negotiations are a bit more sensitive than that. I can understand why they might want to keep some things confidential during sensitive negotiations.
                              They seem to have no problem "leaking" information when they deem it political advantageous.

Comment