Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fast Food Workers Strike - Anybody Affected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Food Workers Strike - Anybody Affected?

I have stopped buying / eating fast food, except on RARE occasions, but supposedly, there was this big strike yesterday where burger flippers and french fry baptizers demanded an increase DOUBLING their dollars-per-hour pay.

Anybody notice anything at all, or see any impact?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I had a detour yesterday afternoon while the cops arrested some protesters blocking traffic with "$15 Per Hour" signs.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      I had a detour yesterday afternoon while the cops arrested some protesters blocking traffic with "$15 Per Hour" signs.
      Were you going faster than 15 per hour?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've been hearing about it, and it's not just the burger-flippers. It's about minimum wage workers who, at the Federal mininum of $7.25 an hour, are ball-parking $14.5k per year if they're working full-time. "Doubling" doesn't mean much without principal. Twice nothing is nothing, as they say. They're asking for $15 an hour, which just so happens to be what I pay my cleaning lady, for what it's worth.

There's merit in their demands, and it's simply good strategy to ask for more than they can reasonably expect to receive. (In fact, that's been corporate policy most places I've worked.) But they wouldn't be doing this if Congress would simply do its job. It's time for the minimum wage to be re-adjusted and indexed to inflation to end this Dickensian cycle of, "Please sir, could I have some more?"

The minimum wage is the minimum a business needs to pay, not the minimum wage needed. Most minimum wage workers need to be subsidized just to get by, and that means more money. The only question is who should provide it. Full time workers should not need food stamps to feed their families and a company that relies on the government to feed its workers might as well be considered a recipient of corporate welfare.

I don't know how well the average fast food franchisee could meet that wage, but there are others who could, quite readily. Walmart, I'm looking at you.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          I don't know how well the average fast food franchisee could meet that wage, but there are others who could, quite readily. Walmart, I'm looking at you.
          Incidentally... I've heard some rhetoric bandied about that has to do with the percentage of Wal-Mart workers on food stamps. Do you know if anybody has done any studies on how the net cost of that compares to the amount Wal-mart pays in taxes?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Incidentally... I've heard some rhetoric bandied about that has to do with the percentage of Wal-Mart workers on food stamps. Do you know if anybody has done any studies on how the net cost of that compares to the amount Wal-mart pays in taxes?
            Nope, and I haven't seen anything I'd call reliable about their percentage of food stamp and other anti-poverty recipients, let alone the total government subsidy. But you can check Walmart's financials at MarketWatch.

Comment

I don't consider these numbers reliable:

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Comment

I've been hearing about it, and it's not just the burger-flippers. It's about minimum wage workers who, at the Federal mininum of $7.25 an hour, are ball-parking $14.5k per year if they're working full-time. "Doubling" doesn't mean much without principal. Twice nothing is nothing, as they say. They're asking for $15 an hour, which just so happens to be what I pay my cleaning lady, for what it's worth.

There's merit in their demands, and it's simply good strategy to ask for more than they can reasonably expect to receive. (In fact, that's been corporate policy most places I've worked.) But they wouldn't be doing this if Congress would simply do its job. It's time for the minimum wage to be re-adjusted and indexed to inflation to end this Dickensian cycle of, "Please sir, could I have some more?"

The minimum wage is the minimum a business needs to pay, not the minimum wage needed. Most minimum wage workers need to be subsidized just to get by, and that means more money. The only question is who should provide it. Full time workers should not need food stamps to feed their families and a company that relies on the government to feed its workers might as well be considered a recipient of corporate welfare.

As ever, Jesse
                And all they well do is double my costs for a burger and decease my buying power. Never mind the the idea that the government as any business telling a private company what to pay.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

In the case of walmart, the increase to wages sought by the employees would increase walmart's costs by all of 2% (maybe 2.5%).
                  I don't know how Maccas costs would be affected, but it would be surprising if there was a significant difference.
                  The whole labourer being worthy of his hire thing comes into play, and the idea of paying subsistence wages to the people who actually provide the company with its profits ideology needs a bit of re-evaluation. People don't work so that their employers can live in multi-million dollar castles and take overseas holidays every few months.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I would be glad to explain why minimum-wage-rate legislation is harmful rather than beneficial. Lao Tzu--not the lao Tzu of TWeb--would agree, he didn't believe in established government.

And no business should be pressured to grant more of would-be employee demands than it is inclined to, unless it deserves to be driven out of the "marketplace."
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      I would be glad to explain why minimum-wage-rate legislation is harmful rather than beneficial. Lao Tzu--not the lao Tzu of TWeb--would agree, he didn't believe in established government.
                      The real Lao Tzu was entirely anonymous, as fitting a tradition that provides no footing for appeals to authority.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

The real Lao Tzu was entirely anonymous, as fitting a tradition that provides no footing for appeals to authority.

As ever, Jesse
                        But...I thought there is no lao tzu?
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          But...I thought there is no lao tzu?
                          Precisely.

Comment

Precisely.
                            Whoa....
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              People don't work so that their employers can live in multi-million dollar castles and take overseas holidays every few months.
                              On the other hand, companies don't exist to provide comfortable living for employees. They exist to make money. Now, there ARE companies who truly value their employees, such as the gas compression company I recently worked for, that provide not only decent wages, but cadillac insurance polices, matching 401(k)s and stuff like that, but --- OH, that's right! THAT company got bought by a bigger company who only focuses on "the bottom line".

Comment