// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SECOND televised beheading!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SECOND televised beheading!

    Source: FoxNews.com

    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of US reporter Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State extremist group.

    The global terror intelligence firm SITE first reported the release of the 2-minute video, titled "A Second Message to America," in which Sotloff, a 31-year-old freelance journalist, speaks to the camera before a cloaked Islamic State fighter begins to decapitate him.

    “I’m sure you know exactly who I am by now and why I am appearing,” Sotloff said under apparent duress. "Obama, your foreign policy of intervention in Iraq was supposed to be for preservation of American lives and interests, so why is it that I am paying the price of your interference with my life?”

    The video then cuts to the masked militant warning that as long as U.S. missiles “continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.” He also threatens the life of British captive David Cawthorne Haines.

    "I'm back, Obama," said the left-handed executioner with a British accent who appears to be the same man who killed Foley. "And I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State."

    © Copyright Original Source



    The world has become a most interesting place.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    Interesting --- it's possible that the release of this video was done accidentally / premature. Source

    Source: vocativ


    It appears from chatter on ISIS forums that the initial video release was an unintentional leak from within ISIS circles. An ISIS-affiliated twitter account (now suspended) published the video ahead of the prescribed time. Another ISIS-affiliated account, @Khattabyaz pulled them up on their error, but at that point it was too late, and the video was in circulation. The group then apologised to its followers for the lack of discipline in a text missive on Justpaste, saying:

    “A clarification about the mistake was made by “Uyun al-Ummah” account, that has published the video before the official time.

    The user saw a tweet with the video and thought it was published officially. We tried to remove the video after we understood that his was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of the Islamic State.”

    © Copyright Original Source

    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Interesting --- it's possible that the release of this video was done accidentally / premature. Source

      Source: vocativ


      It appears from chatter on ISIS forums that the initial video release was an unintentional leak from within ISIS circles. An ISIS-affiliated twitter account (now suspended) published the video ahead of the prescribed time. Another ISIS-affiliated account, @Khattabyaz pulled them up on their error, but at that point it was too late, and the video was in circulation. The group then apologised to its followers for the lack of discipline in a text missive on Justpaste, saying:

      “A clarification about the mistake was made by “Uyun al-Ummah” account, that has published the video before the official time.

      The user saw a tweet with the video and thought it was published officially. We tried to remove the video after we understood that his was published by mistake, and we are sorry to the followers of the Islamic State.”

      © Copyright Original Source

      So... were they waiting for the right occasion to release the video, or was it just a bit ahead of schedule? That is, had they already executed the journalist and just waiting for the right PR moment to make it look like a reaction to a particular US action?

      Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Source: FoxNews.com

        An Internet video purports to show the beheading of US reporter Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State extremist group.

        The global terror intelligence firm SITE first reported the release of the 2-minute video, titled "A Second Message to America," in which Sotloff, a 31-year-old freelance journalist, speaks to the camera before a cloaked Islamic State fighter begins to decapitate him.

        “I’m sure you know exactly who I am by now and why I am appearing,” Sotloff said under apparent duress. "Obama, your foreign policy of intervention in Iraq was supposed to be for preservation of American lives and interests, so why is it that I am paying the price of your interference with my life?”

        The video then cuts to the masked militant warning that as long as U.S. missiles “continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.” He also threatens the life of British captive David Cawthorne Haines.

        "I'm back, Obama," said the left-handed executioner with a British accent who appears to be the same man who killed Foley. "And I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State."

        © Copyright Original Source



        The world has become a most interesting place.
        You know, I could see why they would be angry about the drone strikes (most likely the 'missiles' mentioned) and such, but killing random civilians isn't the answer here. He didn't break any laws, he didn't threaten anyone, he was just an innocent journalist.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

        -Thomas Aquinas

        I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

        -Hernando Cortez

        What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

        -Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
          You know, I could see why they would be angry about the drone strikes (most likely the 'missiles' mentioned) and such, but killing random civilians isn't the answer here. He didn't break any laws, he didn't threaten anyone, he was just an innocent journalist.
          I can't figure this -- I can't see how they think this would NOT unite the world against them.
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            So... were they waiting for the right occasion to release the video, or was it just a bit ahead of schedule? That is, had they already executed the journalist and just waiting for the right PR moment to make it look like a reaction to a particular US action?

            Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
            I really don't know.. I'm wondering if they were surprised that the air strikes intensified after the first beheading --- maybe they're tunnel-visioned enough to think they could intimidate Obama, not understanding there were others what would not let this go. Maybe they thought Obama would just draw another red line.

            I don't know.
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
              You know, I could see why they would be angry about the drone strikes (most likely the 'missiles' mentioned) and such, but killing random civilians isn't the answer here. He didn't break any laws, he didn't threaten anyone, he was just an innocent journalist.
              Oh, but all infidels must die!!! Everyone must believe what ISIS believe or perish!!!
              Seriously, terrorist group + fundy.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

              Comment


              • #8
                Is my depiction of an ISIS member realistic? Or is it a strawman? Can you strawman ISIS???
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Is my depiction of an ISIS member realistic? Or is it a strawman? Can you strawman ISIS???
                  ISIS (or ISIL) is the most extreme of the extreme -- even some of the terrorist groups think they go too far.

                  And they believe they can bring in the equivalent of our Armageddon by drawing the US into a regional war - it's apocalyptic terrorism.
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    ISIS (or ISIL) is the most extreme of the extreme -- even some of the terrorist groups think they go too far.

                    And they believe they can bring in the equivalent of our Armageddon by drawing the US into a regional war - it's apocalyptic terrorism.
                    I knew about the first part. How difficult would it be to send some millitaries in there to kick their butts? Only nonviolent alternative I can think of is a miraculous conversion of everyone in that group...
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      I knew about the first part. How difficult would it be to send some millitaries in there to kick their butts? Only nonviolent alternative I can think of is a miraculous conversion of everyone in that group...
                      VERY difficult -- they are entrenched in cities, and "urban warfare" is one of the most challenging types of warfare. They can blend in with the local population, shoot from protected positions... It would HAVE to be a situation where we gained the confidence of the locals to know that we are "in it to win it", and we are NOT projecting that image.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        VERY difficult -- they are entrenched in cities, and "urban warfare" is one of the most challenging types of warfare. They can blend in with the local population, shoot from protected positions... It would HAVE to be a situation where we gained the confidence of the locals to know that we are "in it to win it", and we are NOT projecting that image.
                        Grrr.... too bad there isn't such thing as anti terrorist spray... solutions?
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No solution as long as they have their man in the Whitehouse.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                          Comment

                          Related Threads

                          Collapse

                          Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 08:11 PM
                          2 responses
                          21 views
                          1 like
                          Last Post Whateverman  
                          Started by shunyadragon, Yesterday, 07:16 PM
                          27 responses
                          105 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Whateverman  
                          Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 12:47 PM
                          17 responses
                          65 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Ronson
                          by Ronson
                           
                          Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 10:00 AM
                          33 responses
                          293 views
                          2 likes
                          Last Post Ronson
                          by Ronson
                           
                          Started by seanD, 10-18-2020, 05:25 PM
                          2 responses
                          63 views
                          3 likes
                          Last Post seanD
                          by seanD
                           
                          Working...
                          X