Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bitcoin kids remaking the world!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    No. I am not American and I am not referring to the USA, random incidents in the USA generally feature very little on my personal radar.
    I am from Africa, and I've seen what happens when there the Rule of Law breaks down.
    Go look at countries in central America where the power lies in the hands of the drug cartels where there is no Rule of Law.

I'll reply in full later.
    If people do not generally follow the non-aggression principle (which include "do not steal" and "do not murder") things can get ugly, all right.

If Africa could get government that is much better than what it has, of course things would be better. Ditto, Central America. But is that not wishful thinking? Bad people somehow forming good government that then makes them better?

Am I like the prophets in the Old Testament, telling people to repent? The prophets didn't succeed and the Hebrews were made slaves or killed or whatever as punishment? I surely hope not.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Like in Ferguson? That is hardly a case that we can form a good government. Look, I certainly agree that we need good government. But the more we need it, the less able we are to form it! Let me use the present USA federal government as an example. Do we now have rule of law? No. Rule by men. Around 1781, it was sorta OK, but it gradually got ever worse, until it became the monster it is now. How did that happen? It's because the people are bad. Do you seriously believe that a bad people can form good government to make itself better? Now, I can explain it's better to leave the problem of security to the free market rather than to the government later if you wish.
    No. I am not American and I am not referring to the USA, random incidents in the USA generally feature very little on my personal radar.
    I am from Africa, and I've seen what happens when there the Rule of Law breaks down.
    Go look at countries in central America where the power lies in the hands of the drug cartels where there is no Rule of Law.

I'll reply in full later.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    No, but there is research that could be done with the energy used for bitcoin mining....
    For example? More that that would be welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Are you sure there are no math solution that can be used to fight cancer or Ebola?
    No, but there is research that could be done with the energy used for bitcoin mining....

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    It doesn't... There are other cryptocurrencies out there that work for more useful purposes. All Bitcoin ends up doing is wasting energy solving math problems when that computing power could be given to research against Cancer and Ebola...
    Are you sure there are no math solution that can be used to fight cancer or Ebola?

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Because we've also seen what terrible things happen when the rule of law breaks down.
    Like in Ferguson? That is hardly a case that we can form a good government. Look, I certainly agree that we need good government. But the more we need it, the less able we are to form it! Let me use the present USA federal government as an example. Do we now have rule of law? No. Rule by men. Around 1781, it was sorta OK, but it gradually got ever worse, until it became the monster it is now. How did that happen? It's because the people are bad. Do you seriously believe that a bad people can form good government to make itself better? Now, I can explain it's better to leave the problem of security to the free market rather than to the government later if you wish.

Many of those were because good governments were stopping the bad governments from doing some seriously bad things.
    I concede that point, but I consider that inadequate. For one thing, by "good" I mean "tending to make the world better." Merely defending the nation is not good enough. What about after the war? To be sure, keeping the world from getting worse can be as good as to make it better sometimes.

How is a lack of government going to stop [extreme poverty around the world]?
    I can explain why established governments cause poverty later if you wish. To be sure, free markets won't totally eliminate poverty. For one thing, many people are lazy or lack self-confidence or are poorly trained.

The problem is over the years you've tended to subscribe to ideas that seem to require the wearing of a tinfoil hat.
    You still believe in the myth of good government.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    I am surprised that anyone would think Bitcoin does not work in BOINC projects and decentralized DNS servers
    It doesn't... There are other cryptocurrencies out there that work for more useful purposes. All Bitcoin ends up doing is wasting energy solving math problems when that computing power could be given to research against Cancer and Ebola...

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    I think most of what goes on in the Tor networks and the Silk road would not meet your approval. (a good thing)

Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments. And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments.
    Owning and trading in slaves. (which don't forget is still massive)
    Polyagamy.
    Drugs.
    various sexual deficiencies.
    Wearing crocs with socks.

(ok so one of those is not like the others)
    Now you could argue that they go against the first two commandments, but don't forget the first two were permitted under Mosaic Law which was given down to Moses by God.

Restricting the government to only being able to enforce the 10 Commandments would create a disaster.
    I agree with everything with what you just said, however I just wanted to state that people can use it for legitimate reasons as well (oppressive goverments like those in Iran and China.).

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    And there are a couple things in the 10 commandments that are widely accepted nowadays. Should we outlaw those things Truthseeker?
    I don't understand the question.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    I think most of what goes on in the Tor networks and the Silk road would not meet your approval. (a good thing)
    Perhaps. I have not visited that. Does the Tor network include places that are not in the Silk Road? But, should the government outlaw 1/2 of what we do? That would be a big and powerful government. Dangerous to our liberty and lives.

Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments.
    "Outlawed"--do you have in mind a government? Note, until the time of Samuel, Israel since the exodus from Egypt didn't have a king.

And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments.
    Your opinion is noted.

"Do not steal." That was not just against taking property (land, e.g.) It was taken to be against taking the use of someone's body. In David's time military service was all voluntary. No draft. True in one Bible passage, David did order a census, but Israel got punished for that.
    Polyagamy.
    I'm not sure there was an explicit prohibition in the OT. And in the NT was merely a requirement?
    Drugs.
    The Bible condemned drunkenness, but how did you reason other drugs belong here?
    Immorality. If there were a government, should it outlaw that?
    What a croc.

Now you could argue that they go against the first two commandments, but don't forget the first two were permitted under Mosaic Law which was given down to Moses by God.
    You got me confused.

Restricting the government to only being able to enforce the 10 Commandments would create a disaster.
    What would be a disaster is people NOT living according to God's commandments, including the two "greatest" commandments. Do you seriously believe that the government could cope with a people who were all evil?

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments. And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments. [snip]

And there are a couple things in the 10 commandments that are widely accepted nowadays. Should we outlaw those things Truthseeker?

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Am I seriously on something? No. Why do people believe in good government?
    Because we've also seen what terrible things happen when the rule of law breaks down.
    Look at all those wars in history
    Many of those were because good governments were stopping the bad governments from doing some seriously bad things.
    and crushing poverty worldwide,
    How is a lack of government going to stop that?
    and I have more reasons if only people would consider my position seriously.
    The problem is over the years you've tended to subscribe to ideas that seem to require the wearing of a tinfoil hat.

There is a case to be made for smaller government, and it has it's own pros and cons that are worth discussing.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Some of the illegal stuff may be immoral. If so, I would not approve of it.

However, the government should not outlaw anything that does not violate the Ten Commandments.
    Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments. And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments.
    Polyagamy.
    Drugs.

(ok so one of those is not like the others)

I am sorry I misstated my position.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    After all these years, you're only asking that now?
    Am I seriously on something? No. Why do people believe in good government? Look at all those wars in history and crushing poverty worldwide, and I have more reasons if only people would consider my position seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    So you would be up with all the illegal crap that was going on with The Silk Road. it and it's successor are bitcoin only.
    Some of the illegal stuff may be immoral. If so, I would not approve of it. However, the government should not outlaw anything that does not violate the Ten Commandments.

I am sorry I misstated my position.

Leave a comment: