Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bitcoin kids remaking the world!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitcoin kids remaking the world!?

Disclaimer: I own some bitcoins.

We have it in our power to begin the world over again. ~Thomas Paine, about 1776

Is Bitcoin really that potentially revolutionary? Read on http://www.caseyresearch.com/freeman...-about-bitcoin

A question I'm especially interested in that belongs in this forum: How important is the power to make whatever trade you want without government restrictions or coercion? Example: A gal in California uses her bitcoin wallet to purchase an albino elephant from someone in India (I don't know if trade in albino elephants are limited or proscribed by Indian law).
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

I feel Bitcoin was just a fad to get us used to crypto-currencies.... There're many other cryptocurrenicies out there that do stuff like work on BOINC projects or decentralize DNS servers...
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Remember, no government interference at all also means no government protection at all.

I'd think 'cyber currency' would lead to contractual nightmares.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
        I feel Bitcoin was
        Did you not mean "is"?
        just a fad to get us used to crypto-currencies....

There're many other cryptocurrenicies out there that do stuff like work on BOINC projects or decentralize DNS servers...
        I am surprised that anyone would think Bitcoin does not work in BOINC projects and decentralized DNS servers
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Remember, no government interference at all also means no government protection at all.
          I guess you have in mind the belief that no government means, among other things, no protection at all. Nah, you are not that stupid. But what do you mean by that?

I'd think 'cyber currency' would lead to contractual nightmares.
          I'd think the dollar system would lead to contractual nightmares. Oh! There have been many c. nightmares, all right. Didn't you yourself fly into a rage many times when you saw yourself getting stiffed?

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            I guess you have in mind the belief that no government means, among other things, no protection at all. Nah, you are not that stupid. But what do you mean by that?

I'd think the dollar system would lead to contractual nightmares. Oh! There have been many c. nightmares, all right. Didn't you yourself fly into a rage many times when you saw yourself getting stiffed?
            Are you on something? Seriously.

Unsubscribing.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Disclaimer: I own some bitcoins.

We have it in our power to begin the world over again. ~Thomas Paine, about 1776

Is Bitcoin really that potentially revolutionary? Read on http://www.caseyresearch.com/freeman...-about-bitcoin

A question I'm especially interested in that belongs in this forum: How important is the power to make whatever trade you want without government restrictions or coercion? Example: A gal in California uses her bitcoin wallet to purchase an albino elephant from someone in India (I don't know if trade in albino elephants are limited or proscribed by Indian law).
              So you would be up with all the illegal crap that was going on with The Silk Road. it and it's successor are bitcoin only.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                I feel Bitcoin was just a fad to get us used to crypto-currencies.... There're many other cryptocurrenicies out there that do stuff like work on BOINC projects or decentralize DNS servers...
                I see you as more a DogeCoin type.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Are you on something? Seriously.
                  After all these years, you're only asking that now?

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    So you would be up with all the illegal crap that was going on with The Silk Road. it and it's successor are bitcoin only.
                    Some of the illegal stuff may be immoral. If so, I would not approve of it. However, the government should not outlaw anything that does not violate the Ten Commandments.

I am sorry I misstated my position.

Comment

After all these years, you're only asking that now?
                      Am I seriously on something? No. Why do people believe in good government? Look at all those wars in history and crushing poverty worldwide, and I have more reasons if only people would consider my position seriously.

Comment

Some of the illegal stuff may be immoral. If so, I would not approve of it.
                        I think most of what goes on in the Tor networks and the Silk road would not meet your approval. (a good thing)

However, the government should not outlaw anything that does not violate the Ten Commandments.
                        Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments. And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments.
                        Owning and trading in slaves. (which don't forget is still massive)
                        Polyagamy.
                        Drugs.
                        various sexual deficiencies.
                        Wearing crocs with socks.

(ok so one of those is not like the others)
                        Now you could argue that they go against the first two commandments, but don't forget the first two were permitted under Mosaic Law which was given down to Moses by God.

Restricting the government to only being able to enforce the 10 Commandments would create a disaster.

I am sorry I misstated my position.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Am I seriously on something? No. Why do people believe in good government?
                          Because we've also seen what terrible things happen when the rule of law breaks down.
                          Look at all those wars in history
                          Many of those were because good governments were stopping the bad governments from doing some seriously bad things.
                          and crushing poverty worldwide,
                          How is a lack of government going to stop that?
                          and I have more reasons if only people would consider my position seriously.
                          The problem is over the years you've tended to subscribe to ideas that seem to require the wearing of a tinfoil hat.

There is a case to be made for smaller government, and it has it's own pros and cons that are worth discussing.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments. And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments. [snip]

Restricting the government to only being able to enforce the 10 Commandments would create a disaster.
                            And there are a couple things in the 10 commandments that are widely accepted nowadays. Should we outlaw those things Truthseeker?
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I think most of what goes on in the Tor networks and the Silk road would not meet your approval. (a good thing)
                              Perhaps. I have not visited that. Does the Tor network include places that are not in the Silk Road? But, should the government outlaw 1/2 of what we do? That would be a big and powerful government. Dangerous to our liberty and lives.

Now you see Auggie, even the Law of Moses regulated and outlawed a lot of things that weren't covered by the 10 Commandments.
                              "Outlawed"--do you have in mind a government? Note, until the time of Samuel, Israel since the exodus from Egypt didn't have a king.

And that too is a good thing. Because there are an aweful lot of things that should be illegal that technically don't violate the 10 commandments.
                              Your opinion is noted.

Owning and trading in slaves. (which don't forget is still massive)
                              "Do not steal." That was not just against taking property (land, e.g.) It was taken to be against taking the use of someone's body. In David's time military service was all voluntary. No draft. True in one Bible passage, David did order a census, but Israel got punished for that.
                              Polyagamy.
                              I'm not sure there was an explicit prohibition in the OT. And in the NT was merely a requirement?
                              Drugs.
                              The Bible condemned drunkenness, but how did you reason other drugs belong here?
                              various sexual deficiencies.
                              Immorality. If there were a government, should it outlaw that?
                              Wearing crocs with socks.
                              What a croc.

Now you could argue that they go against the first two commandments, but don't forget the first two were permitted under Mosaic Law which was given down to Moses by God.
                              You got me confused.

What would be a disaster is people NOT living according to God's commandments, including the two "greatest" commandments. Do you seriously believe that the government could cope with a people who were all evil?

Comment