Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ANOTHER Racial Killing -- I bet you haven't heard this one....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I'm not used to the concept of fast food restaurants having security guards. Is this actually a thing?
    In some areas, but since it was a promotion with reasonable expectation of a large turnout - and in a genre that is associated with tough crowds - McDonald's is responsible for providing security - just like any venue that might not ordinarily have guards present but would during an event.

They should have anticipated the need, but at least once they had a large crowd, the manager should have gotten some assistance, even if it meant calling the cops (and no, the town would not have been happy) so they can't argue 'we didn't expect such a turn out' as an excuse. You host and promote an event; you are responsible for taking all reasonable precautions. A hip-hop event and no security? Yeah, little wonder the jury awarded 27 million - that's just negligent.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
      The key word being, 'supposedly'. I don't buy for a second that the 'white boys' did such a thing, but even IF they did, it's no excuse* for 15 to 20 people to beat someone up. Sorry*.

* I know that's not what you're saying, Sparko
      Let's be clear -- the allegation that the white boys called them the N word did not surface until EIGHTEEN MONTHS after the fact --- there is absolutely NOTHING about that in the initial statements.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not used to the concept of fast food restaurants having security guards. Is this actually a thing?
        In areas of high crime or with a history of trouble, yes, some fast food restaurants employ off duty police officers or security guards to keep the peace. In some parts of Houston, for example, this is the rule rather than the exception.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          In some areas, but since it was a promotion with reasonable expectation of a large turnout - and in a genre that is associated with tough crowds - McDonald's is responsible for providing security - just like any venue that might not ordinarily have guards present but would during an event.
          Yes, from the information in Post #3... "Between 2009 and 2012, there were 210 police calls made in reference to the McDonald's, he said." This particular McDonalds had LOTS of trouble in the hours between midnight and 4 AM.

They should have anticipated the need, but at least once they had a large crowd, the manager should have gotten some assistance, even if it meant calling the cops (and no, the town would not have been happy) so they can't argue 'we didn't expect such a turn out' as an excuse. You host and promote an event; you are responsible for taking all reasonable precautions. A hip-hop event and no security? Yeah, little wonder the jury awarded 27 million - that's just negligent.
          There was one report THAT NIGHT (30 minutes prior to the boys being beaten) that one of the party goers was brandishing a firearm INSIDE McDonalds, and the manager simply told him "take it outside".

It was, in my opinion, CRIMINAL negligence, but we'll wait and see what the jury says.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yes, from the information in Post #3... "Between 2009 and 2012, there were 210 police calls made in reference to the McDonald's, he said." This particular McDonalds had LOTS of trouble in the hours between midnight and 4 AM.

There was one report THAT NIGHT (30 minutes prior to the boys being beaten) that one of the party goers was brandishing a firearm INSIDE McDonalds, and the manager simply told him "take it outside".

It was, in my opinion, CRIMINAL negligence, but we'll wait and see what the jury says.

I fully agree - that is criminally negligent.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Jesse posted this in the Michael Brown thread, but it's about THIS thread, so I took the liberty of copying it here...

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Your sources disagreed on the cause of Denton Ward's death, which occurred two and a half years ago, the details of which are being reported by highly questionable sources.

Freepers, CP? I mean, seriously. They make NRO and Breitbart look like choir boys.
              Once again, an issue is made of the SOURCE of the information, which I fully anticipated. And it was pretty much the point of this thread -- the MSM did NOT mention anything at all about RACE, and I had to go to one of Jesse's lowest rated sources to find the FACT that this was, indeed, a mob of blacks who killed a young unarmed white student. The "cause of death" will be at the heart of the trial which is happening as we speak, and evidence and testimony will be subject to all the appropriate rules and constraints of law. However, there is NO dispute that the mob was black, and the victim was white.

Oh, I may have been in error... the Texas student may have been armed... with a cowboy hat.

Comment

Originally posted by CBS Dallas/Fort Worth
                The teens’ families sued McDonald’s, claiming that the restaurant neglected to provide late-night security even though police had been called more than 20 times that year to break up fights at that location.
                Source

Notably, no link to the original story.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I didn't see anything about a promotional event in any of the articles posted. Where was that posted?
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I didn't see anything about a promotional event in any of the articles posted. Where was that posted?
                    The first link, I thought. Had to have been here - the article I cited today is the only one I looked up myself.

EDIT:

It came from the OP which is mistaken. McDonald's didn't host the event - they were the after event stop and it was a normal occurence so McDonald'd is still unquestionably negligent.

Coroners found Ward's COD to be from the beating, not the accident as reported.

Much fuller account here.
                    Last edited by Teallaura; 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Source: http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/beaten_to_death_at_mcdonalds.html

Why was University McDonald's so popular among black gang bangers and black fraternity members? Carlos Butler, the outlet's black general manager, could take credit for that. An aspiring hip-hop artist, he hosted large hip-hop concerts attracting some 1,500 people -- and after those events many of the black hip-hoppers headed to University McDonald's.

Interestingly, Butler told a police detective he always had “a lot of security” at his hip-hop events.

Yet at University McDonald's, Butler had no off-duty police officer providing security -- even on nights that the hip-hop and gangsta crowd showed up in large numbers.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

That comes from tribal knowledge. Those of us in the community know about it, but it's not - as far as I know - "news".

Comment

The first link, I thought. Had to have been here - the article I cited today is the only one I looked up myself.

EDIT:

It came from the OP which is mistaken.

McDonald's didn't host the event - they were the after event stop and it was a normal occurence so McDonald'd is still unquestionably negligent.
                          The prosecution in the trial will try to show that McDondalds did INDEED host the "after" event... same actors. Which is why McDondalds was already socked with a $27 MILLION dollar hickey.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Source: http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/beaten_to_death_at_mcdonalds.html

Why was University McDonald's so popular among black gang bangers and black fraternity members? Carlos Butler, the outlet's black general manager, could take credit for that. An aspiring hip-hop artist, he hosted large hip-hop concerts attracting some 1,500 people -- and after those events many of the black hip-hoppers headed to University McDonald's.

Interestingly, Butler told a police detective he always had “a lot of security” at his hip-hop events.

Yet at University McDonald's, Butler had no off-duty police officer providing security -- even on nights that the hip-hop and gangsta crowd showed up in large numbers.

© Copyright Original Source

This was, as the prosecution will attempt to show, McDondalds (this is a corporate store, not a franchise) test marketing their "After Midnite Menu", which they were also testing in two other college towns. (College Station is, indeed, a "college town".) Butler was a McDondalds employee, not a franchisee.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The prosecution in the trial will try to show that McDondalds did INDEED host the "after" event... same actors. Which is why McDondalds was already socked with a $27 MILLION dollar hickey.
                              I had assumed and implied that McDonalds hosted the actual event - and that seemed to be what your OP states. They did host the after, that's true, but not the actual and that was the impression I was correcting.

They were libel regardless - the 'after' thing wasn't the first time, was known to management and was entirely predictable. McDonalds tried to argue that the death was due to the crash afterwards but even that is a weak defense. No wonder they fielded an entire team of lawyers - they knew they were going to lose.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I had assumed and implied that McDonalds hosted the actual event - and that seemed to be what your OP states. They did host the after, that's true, but not the actual and that was the impression I was correcting.
                                The issue is, of course, what happened at McDonalds. If I misunderstood, I apologize. When I was talking about "this event", I was talking about what actually happened at McDondalds, not the prior situation.

They were libel regardless - the 'after' thing wasn't the first time, was known to management and was entirely predictable. McDonalds tried to argue that the death was due to the crash afterwards but even that is a weak defense. No wonder they fielded an entire team of lawyers - they knew they were going to lose.
                                Yeah, they're in this pretty deep.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment