Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Your Response to the Beheading of the Journalist....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think we should make a back room deal with the Israelis to seek out anybody from ISIS who shows up in a video, and assassinate them.
    Agreed.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      America is the modern day Roman empire -
      Umm... we're not subjugating and taxing those we "conquer", and not holding their lands as our own.

the course will be much the same as theirs if ISIS makes good on its threat ... maybe even if it doesn't.
      So, you're saying the defeat of the US (or demise thereof) is... what are you saying?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

America is the modern day Roman empire - the course will be much the same as theirs if ISIS makes good on its threat ... maybe even if it doesn't.
        Tabibito, I like you but that is just nonsense. If we really were like Roman empire we would have never given back Iraq or even Kuwait, never mind Germany or Japan.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Tabibito, I like you but that is just nonsense. If we really were like Roman empire we would have never given back Iraq or even Kuwait, never mind Germany or Japan.
          Sorry - I should have said late Roman Republic / early empire. That was when the response to killing a Roman civilian resulted in countries being slightly over-run.
          Giving back Germany? Not much option ... there were allies to argue the point. (not to mention it was prior to the 1960s, so too early for "modern day") Japan - the allies were told it was a Japan / America war and the allies could butt out ... it still hasn't been given back. Kuwait was defence of a (semi) friendly state. Iraq ... you might have a point there.

So over-stated perhaps, but I'd expect that another killing of a civilian to result in the legions being mobilised.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Sorry - I should have said late Roman Republic / early empire. That was when the response to killing a Roman civilian resulted in countries being slightly over-run.
            Giving back Germany? Not much option ... there were allies to argue the point. (not to mention it was prior to the 1960s, so too early for "modern day") Japan - the allies were told it was a Japan / America war and the allies could butt out ... it still hasn't been given back. Kuwait was defence of a (semi) friendly state. Iraq ... you might have a point there.

So over-stated perhaps, but I'd expect that another killing of a civilian to result in the legions being mobilised.
            OK, that's why I didn't jump on you with all fours. I figured I must have misunderstood.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What would you advise the president should do?
              What would YOU do if you were president?

I mean, seriously, ISIS has said if the bombing doesn't stop, they'll behead another.
              I don't think their political demands are sincere.

ISIS Pressed for Ransom Before Killing Journalist
              In fact, until recently, ISIS had a very different list of demands for Mr. Foley: The group pressed the United States to provide a multimillion-dollar ransom for his release, according to a representative of his family and a former hostage held alongside him. The United States — unlike several European countries that have funneled millions to the terror group to spare the lives of their citizens — refused to pay.

Looks to me like they're in it for the money. And the women, too, of course.

In Retaking of Iraqi Dam, Evidence of American Impact
              Muhammad Karim, one of the soldiers, said that when they arrived at the first abandoned militant checkpoint, they discovered a woman, naked and bound, who had been repeatedly raped. Farther into the neighborhood, the Iraqi forces discovered another woman in the same state.

“ISIS are bad people,” he said, standing beside a demolished compound that hugged the road. “They are raping girls.”

Those soldiers can be bought. Send in the CIA, buy the locations of their leaders, and send in the drones.

Teach them that decapitate has more than one meaning.

Comment

What would you advise the president should do?
                What would YOU do if you were president?

I mean, seriously, ISIS has said if the bombing doesn't stop, they'll behead another.
                Sadly, it seems that this group is pushing hard for a true clash of civilizations. If I were president, I would, sadly, probably escalate the military response, since it seems fairly certain that an end to this situation can not be brought about by rational means.

Long term, it is the children that must be reached to actually kill this ideology at its root.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  I don't think their political demands are sincere.

ISIS Pressed for Ransom Before Killing Journalist
                  In fact, until recently, ISIS had a very different list of demands for Mr. Foley: The group pressed the United States to provide a multimillion-dollar ransom for his release, according to a representative of his family and a former hostage held alongside him. The United States — unlike several European countries that have funneled millions to the terror group to spare the lives of their citizens — refused to pay.

Looks to me like they're in it for the money. And the women, too, of course.

In Retaking of Iraqi Dam, Evidence of American Impact
                  Muhammad Karim, one of the soldiers, said that when they arrived at the first abandoned militant checkpoint, they discovered a woman, naked and bound, who had been repeatedly raped. Farther into the neighborhood, the Iraqi forces discovered another woman in the same state.

“ISIS are bad people,” he said, standing beside a demolished compound that hugged the road. “They are raping girls.”

Those soldiers can be bought. Send in the CIA, buy the locations of their leaders, and send in the drones.

Teach them that decapitate has more than one meaning.
                  You're assuming they want the money for personal use rather than to fund their war effort.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by robertb View Post
                    Sadly, it seems that this group is pushing hard for a true clash of civilizations. If I were president, I would, sadly, probably escalate the military response, since it seems fairly certain that an end to this situation can not be brought about by rational means.

Long term, it is the children that must be reached to actually kill this ideology at its root.
                    Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by robertb View Post

No mean feat that, if ISIS uses the same brain-washing techniques on its children that HAMAS does. It would call for major efforts in de-programming.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No mean feat that, if ISIS uses the same brain-washing techniques on its children that HAMAS does. It would call for major efforts in de-programming.
                        Actually there is very little if anything in common between these two groups ideologically.

Comment

A difference in ideology won't necessarily translate to a difference in procedures. And given that HAMAS considers ISIS to be too extreme - it may be that ISIS is even more diligent in its brainwashing practices.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Deprogramming them would probably require turning their part of Iraq into a Western colony.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Deprogramming them would probably require turning their part of Iraq into a Western colony.
                              ... for about 100 years.
                              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                                ... for about 100 years.
                                You can do it in a generation if you're willing to make Stalin look like Mother Theresa.

Comment