Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Perhaps Jimmy and Co don't know that Ted Bundy and Dennis Rader were both college grads.
    Just think how much NICER Smartacus was before HE started college!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Just think how much NICER Smartacus was before HE started college!
      I went to college myself, but I had a rather smart mouth before college or the military. They just made me even better at it.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Since when would going even to a 4 year college make someone a "good person?"
        This kind of goes to the problem of describing someone in school as being "good" solely based upon their grades. I can't count the number of times I've read about some High Schooler getting arrested for some serious crime and somewhere in the report you read "But he was a good kid, he was an 'A' student."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          This kind of goes to the problem of describing someone in school as being "good" solely based upon their grades. I can't count the number of times I've read about some High Schooler getting arrested for some serious crime and somewhere in the report you read "But he was a good kid, he was an 'A' student."
          I remember a Public Service campaign about locking your car doors -- "Don't help a good boy go bad". What's a GOOD boy doing looking in MY CAR?!?!?!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• good boy.jpg

Comment

• I have one word to prove that going to college (and getting good grades) does not make you a good person:

politicians.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Or as happened here a few years back when High School students went for a car ride to egg people walking along the street. After they were arrested, the Headmaster of the school commented to the papers that "they are basically good kids who just made a momentary bad decision."
                My responses: "What is momentary about a two hour spree?" "Basically good kids don't go around assaulting passers-by on the street."
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I remember a Public Service campaign about locking your car doors -- "Don't help a good boy go bad". What's a GOOD boy doing looking in MY CAR?!?!?!

Because it is easier to blame others for their problems than it is to blame the person who actually does the crime.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Because it is easier to blame others for their problems than it is to blame the person who actually does the crime.
                    I'm wondering if maybe Jimmy was a bad boy, and that's why he identifies so closely with Saint Michael.

(disclosure -- CP was a bad boy, but for a brief time in his teens, and "woke up" and became a productive citizen )

Comment

I'm wondering if maybe Jimmy was a bad boy, and that's why he identifies so closely with Saint Michael.
                      Who knows. My parents took the route that you were responsible for your own actions and blame sits squarely on your shoulders when you do something wrong. Guess the 'blame others for my faults' crowd has taken over.

(disclosure -- CP was a bad boy, but for a brief time in his teens, and "woke up" and became a productive citizen )
                      Oh, I wasn't totally innocent myself. My trouble was more child mischief than anything actually dangerous or that illegal.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

A-men!

Although in full disclosure, my "brief time" was noticeably longer

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

that illegal.
                          ????
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Then so to would the fact that he just finished high school and was about to begin college. Besides, none of this matters if he was, as was testified to by many witnesses, surrendering with his hands in the air. If instead he was rushing headlong into gunfire to attack the officer, then the officer has a case for deadly force. But so far there is no evidence of that being the case.
                            No, it does not. Neither does what he had for breakfast. Events immediately preceding the fatal event and which reasonably could have affected the victim's state of mind are relevant - his life aspirations are not.

The EWT in this case to date conflicts - other EW's have Brown charging the officer. The victim's family's autopsy conflicts with the 'shot from behind' (initial EW testimony) and with 'shot with hands in the air' so the forensic evidence does not support the EWT you've placed all your stock in.

Eggs + one basket = bad idea.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              The victim's family's autopsy conflicts with the 'shot from behind'
                              Jimmy can't even grasp the difference between "being shot at from behind" and "being shot in the back".

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                ... The victim's family's autopsy conflicts with the 'shot from behind' (initial EW testimony) and with 'shot with hands in the air' so the forensic evidence does not support the EWT you've placed all your stock in. ...
                                The initial findings of the family's autopsy are not inconsistent with the first shots being fired from behind if Brown was running away or being shot with his arms in the air. Baden and his assistant have said this in their press conference and subsequent interviews.
                                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment