Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CP Remember how SPeg was last time about a case like this (Zimmerman trial). His mind is made up. He don't need no stinkin' facts!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Wow no need for an investigation then huh? Because you have already decided that it was a senseless killing.

The police officer said that MB rushed him, pushed the car door against him then ran away. He then stopped turned around and ran back at the officer. At which time he was shot. Now doesn't that sound like it needs some investigating?
      It's senseless to respond by shooting an unarmed teenager six times, hitting him in areas that would kill him.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Wow no need for an investigation then huh? Because you have already decided that it was a senseless killing.

The police officer said that MB rushed him, pushed the car door against him then ran away. He then stopped turned around and ran back at the officer. At which time he was shot. Now doesn't that sound like it needs some investigating?
        Particularly since there's a video of a witness telling a DIFFERENT story in the background of a witness telling the "standard version" of the "senseless killing". This was immediately after the incident.

What makes this difficult is idiots who think they have it all figured out and shoot their mouths off without having ALL the facts.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

CP Remember how SPeg was last time about a case like this (Zimmerman trial). His mind is made up. He don't need no stinkin' facts!
          When did I ever say anything about the Zimmerman trial?
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
            It's senseless to respond by shooting an unarmed teenager six times, hitting him in areas that would kill him.
            You weren't there -- you don't know what actually happened.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are you that stupid? Is he supposed to just stand there and let the teenager assault him? What would you think if someone was rushing at you after you told them to stop? You would think they were armed, and even if not, they could do you harm. Fists and feet can do a lot of damage.

Why would someone rush at someone who is holding a gun on them unless they wanted to attack that person and take them by surprise? Would you?

And police aren't trained to shoot to wound. They shoot to kill. They don't have the time to try to wing someone, nor are handguns that accurate. This isn't hollywood. They shoot center mass (torso), and they shoot till the guy goes down. Any headshots or shots to the arms or legs are the misses, not what the cop was aiming for.
              Last edited by Sparko; 08-18-2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                You weren't there -- you don't know what actually happened.
                That's right, I wasn't there. But I *do* know at least part of what happened because we have autopsy reports and other data, and they show that an unarmed teenager was shot six times, which is senseless and should never occur.

Comment

When did I ever say anything about the Zimmerman trial?
                  It was something like that. I will have to go back and check it. But you do seem to just make up your mind without having any more facts than you hear in the initial news reports.

Comment

That's right, I wasn't there. But I *do* know at least part of what happened because we have autopsy reports and other data, and they show that an unarmed teenager was shot six times, which is senseless and should never occur.
                    Bull crap. unarmed doesn't mean "not dangerous" - nor could the cop know if he was armed or not. He reacted to a suspect rushing at him with intent to do harm.

Comment

It was something like that. I will have to go back and check it. But you do seem to just make up your mind without having any more facts than you hear in the initial news reports.
                      "The initial reports from the field are always wrong"
                      General George Patton

Comment

Some of the reports say that this 6'4" 300lb man rushed the police car, and tried to slam the door on his legs and punched him. Do you know for a fact that this is NOT true? There were also reports that the man tried to grab the officer's gun.

Perhaps you are unaware of the fact that a police officer is justified in shooting in most states if he is reasonably in fear for his life, or the lives of others around him.

Comment

The family commissioned an autopsy that shows six wounds, all from the front. This conflicts with the accounts of the victim being shot in the back. Further, two of the wounds are consistent with the victim either charging the officer or surrendering - the medical examiner stated he could not determine which.

The clothes were not available for GSR testing in this examination. The state has not released its autopsy findings yet. A third is scheduled.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

We have actual facts already, and they tell us that the killing was senseless and the police mismanaged the situation. Namely, we know that an unarmed teenager with no criminal record was shot six times by a police officer and was consequently killed. That's senseless and unacceptable. We also know that the police arrested journalists and tried to interfere with recordings, and that they then fired tear gas canisters, smoke bombs and rubber bullets not only on the street, but also into people's backyards. That's a mismanagement of the situation. There are still plenty of things we don't know, but of the facts that we already have, we can certainly make these judgments. What facts are you waiting for?
                            You have no idea what you're talking about, here. Let's add a few other facts to that account. Namely, that Brown shoved the officer, punched him in the face, GRAPPLED FOR THE OFFICER'S GUN, then charged at the officer. If this version of events turns out to be true, then the killing was not only logical, but legally justified. At first, I myself wondered why Brown would act like this if he was being confronted about walking in the roadway. Now we've seen video of him assaulting a store owner and committing a robbery minutes before the confrontation with the police officer. It's fair to say Brown probably thought he was about to be arrested for the robbery, and this explains his behavior. I can only say that people who think the video is not relevant are being willfully ignorant.

Long story short, if you try to take a police officer's weapon you've just turned the fight into a deadly force situation. I'm not going to just lay down, let you take my own gun and kill me with it.
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              The family commissioned an autopsy that shows six wounds, all from the front. This conflicts with the accounts of the victim being shot in the back. Further, two of the wounds are consistent with the victim either charging the officer or surrendering - the medical examiner stated he could not determine which.

The clothes were not available for GSR testing in this examination. The state has not released its autopsy findings yet. A third is scheduled.
                              So, it sounds like you're suggesting we wait for ACTUAL FACTS!

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                                Now we've seen video of him assaulting a store owner and committing a robbery minutes before the confrontation with the police officer. It's fair to say Brown probably thought he was about to be arrested for the robbery, and this explains his behavior. I can only say that people who think the video is not relevant are being willfully ignorant.
                                This is exactly why one of the first press conferences with Brown's attorneys kept parroting "it doesn't matter what he did in the 18 years prior to this incident", and they were attacking the release of the video as "absolutely irrelevant" to this case.

Whether the officer knew or NOT that Brown had just robbed the store, BROWN knew it, AND, apparently, had been smoking marijuana. It goes to "state of mind".

Here's what a lot of people don't realize when there's a "tussle" with police. The officer is not allowed to use deadly force unless his life (or those around him) is in jeopardy. That situation drastically changes, as you so eloquently point out, when there's an effort to get the officer's duty weapon, because the subject is NOT under the same rules of engagement as the officer.

Comment