Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michael Brown

Apparently this African-American person was shot dead by police. Think this might be ridiculously blown out of proportion or is it something to legitimately protest about? (or something else?)
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Anything that results in looting and rioting has, by definition, been blown out of proportion. I've been fairly critical of how the police have handled this situation, but come on, nothing justifies throwing Molotov cocktails at police officers (or anybody).
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
      Apparently this African-American person was shot dead by police. Think this might be ridiculously blown out of proportion or is it something to legitimately protest about? (or something else?)
      A policeman shot a guy that robbed a convenience store, and then attacked him in the police car. So, yes, the fact that they're upset about this, while the investigation is still ongoing, no less, is stupid.
      Last edited by TimelessTheist; 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
        Both. The looting and rioting are unacceptable, so in that sense the response has been blown out of proportion. But Brown's death is even more unacceptable and is legitimately worth protesting.
        Last edited by fm93; 08-18-2014, 01:59 PM.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          Both. The looting and rioting are unacceptable, so in that sense the response has been blown out of proportion. But Brown's death is even more unacceptable and is legitimately worth protesting.
          .....he robbed a convenience store and attacked a cop.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
            .....he robbed a convenience store and attacked a cop.
            And was killed for it.

Not to mention, the eyewitness testimonies are contradictory on the second point (some say he was being pulled by the cop and was just trying to get away), and as for the first point, the officer wasn't aware of the robbery when he stopped Brown.
            Last edited by fm93; 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

And was killed for it.

Not to mention, the eyewitness testimonies are contradictory on the second point (some say he was being pulled by the cop and was just trying to get away), and as for the first point, the officer wasn't aware of the robbery when he stopped Brown.
              It is worth an investigation, but not rioting and protesting and looting. Any more it seems like people just look for an excuse to act like animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                It is worth an investigation, but not rioting and protesting and looting. Any more it seems like people just look for an excuse to act like animals.
                Yeah. And the race-baiter celebrities don't help one stinkin bit. And the Governor, in my opinion, REALLY added fuel to the fire.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah. And the race-baiter celebrities don't help one stinkin bit. And the Governor, in my opinion, REALLY added fuel to the fire.
                  He probably ruined any chances he had of re-election. If you're a Democrat and you lose one of the two major cities in Missouri, you might as well go home.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I agreed that rioting and looting were unacceptable. But protesting is justifiable--the people have every right to be angry at the senseless killing, deeper issues and mismanagement of the situation by the police.

Comment

I agreed that rioting and looting were unacceptable. But protesting is justifiable--the people have every right to be angry at the senseless killing, deeper issues and mismanagement of the situation by the police.
                      Wouldn't it be better to wait for actual FACTS?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They already tried and convicted this cop - no matter the facts.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

We have actual facts already, and they tell us that the killing was senseless and the police mismanaged the situation. Namely, we know that an unarmed teenager with no criminal record was shot six times by a police officer and was consequently killed. That's senseless and unacceptable. We also know that the police arrested journalists and tried to interfere with recordings, and that they then fired tear gas canisters, smoke bombs and rubber bullets not only on the street, but also into people's backyards. That's a mismanagement of the situation. There are still plenty of things we don't know, but of the facts that we already have, we can certainly make these judgments. What facts are you waiting for?

Comment

Wow no need for an investigation then huh? Because you have already decided that it was a senseless killing.

The police officer said that MB rushed him, pushed the car door against him then ran away. He then stopped turned around and ran back at the officer. At which time he was shot. Now doesn't that sound like it needs some investigating?

Comment

We have actual facts already,
                              There are CONFLICTING facts.

and they tell us that the killing was senseless and the police mismanaged the situation.
                              That's entirely possible, but you don't know that.

There are still plenty of things we don't know,
                              EGGzackly

but of the facts that we already have, we can certainly make these judgments. What facts are you waiting for?
                              It's a little thing called the TRUTH.

Comment