Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myth View Post
    Gonna be honest, I didn't realize that some states differed quite that much.
    Yeah, in this case, I have to keep checking Missouri law, because I know it can be much different from Texas.

Also...maybe I should move to Texas.
    There's plenty of room!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      The officer himself never filed an incident report,
      How do you know that?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        How do you know that?
        There was some bare bones report released to the public a week or two ago, but it said almost nothing at all. Rather shocking in the lack of anything substantive. Must be posted on the Internet somewhere.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Wouldn't any such report be sub judice?
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            Wouldn't any such report be sub judice?
            Police did not disclose/produce it until sued by the ACLU under FOI; prosecutor won't release more. Here is the 'report'.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/aclu-mich...ks-key-details

Comment

• The police officer who shot and killed unarmed teenager Michael Brown may not have filled out a detailed incident report following the Aug. 9 shooting.

The prosecutors office says no report, narrative, or details from the investigation will be released to the public while there is a grand jury empaneled to review the incident.
              First and last lines of the article. So what is the first line of the article based on?
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

First and last lines of the article. So what is the first line of the article based on?
                This is explained in the middle of the article:
                "During a briefing with the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s Office on Thursday, prosecutors told NBC News that since turning over the investigation into Brown’s death, the Ferguson Police Department had yet to generate an incident report.

Late Wednesday night, the American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri released what it described as a report turned over to it by the police department following a lawsuit it filed to obtain the records. The report is scant on details typically found on an incident report involving a homicide. It lists little more than the date, time and location of the incident. But more curious are the timestamps on the document.

According to information on the report a supervisor had not reviewed the document until Aug. 19, 10 days after the fatal shooting. And final approval wasn’t given until Aug. 20."

Comment

• Let's see - rioters in the streets or review an incident report that no one in their right minds would release yet...

I notice there's no mention of their normal turn around - so is this late or normal?

Releasing redacted or partial reports, where inflammatory or likely to damage the prosecution, during investigations and prosecutions is the norm. Defense isn't entitled to it yet (no indictment so no defense to make) and they are the only ones that have a legitimate demand for it anywhere near this early on. Yes, it's a public document and, barring significant evidence that it would be a danger to someone or the public to make it public, it will eventually have to be made public. Police and prosecutors have some discretion here.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Let's see - rioters in the streets or review an incident report that no one in their right minds would release yet...

I notice there's no mention of their normal turn around - so is this late or normal?

Releasing redacted or partial reports, where inflammatory or likely to damage the prosecution, during investigations and prosecutions is the norm. Defense isn't entitled to it yet (no indictment so no defense to make) and they are the only ones that have a legitimate demand for it anywhere near this early on. Yes, it's a public document and, barring significant evidence that it would be a danger to someone or the public to make it public, it will eventually have to be made public. Police and prosecutors have some discretion here.
                    That's what I thought. The article is a beat up.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That's what I thought. The article is a beat up.
                      Wouldn't you expect a more substantive incident report to be written up by an officer involved in a fatal shooting?

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        There was some bare bones report released to the public a week or two ago, but it said almost nothing at all. Rather shocking in the lack of anything substantive. Must be posted on the Internet somewhere.
                        We don't know, however, that that's ALL the report that was written. It could be that they're saving something for the defense. We simply don't know, and just because we don't have the report in the public domain does not mean there isn't one.

Comment

Wouldn't you expect a more substantive incident report to be written up by an officer involved in a fatal shooting?
                          Most officer involved shootings of which I am aware are geared toward the shooting board which will analyze in incredible detail everything that happened. It's also possible that this department is simply mirroring the current DC administration with regards to complying with FOIA requests.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Most officer involved shootings of which I am aware are geared toward the shooting board which will analyze in incredible detail everything that happened. It's also possible that this department is simply mirroring the current DC administration with regards to complying with FOIA requests.
                            So you're thinking that this report is not the report that was written by the officer at the time but possibly a dummy report created as a pro forma nonresponse response to a FOI request?

Comment

• It looks like a cover sheet to me.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So you're thinking that this report is not the report that was written by the officer at the time but possibly a dummy report created as a pro forma nonresponse response to a FOI request?

Comment