Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Governor Perry Indicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Governor Perry Indicted

But, remember --- you can indict a ham sandwich!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...hreat-25003869
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm no Perry fan, but I'm having a hard time seeing what was so outrageous about his use of veto powers here, unless he explicitly came out and said that he was doing it to get rid of a political opponent.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I'm no Perry fan, but I'm having a hard time seeing what was so outrageous about his use of veto powers here, unless he explicitly came out and said that he was doing it to get rid of a political opponent.
      Yeah, I just saw Rahm Emanuel defend Perry!

And David Axelrod calls it "sketchy"....

Source: FoxNews

Texas GOP Gov. Rick Perry after being indicted this weekend got support Saturday from one of the country's most powerful Democrats-- former President Obama political adviser David Axelrod-- who tweeted that the charge seems "sketchy."

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The question isn't whether or not its illegal the question is whether or not they are simply trying to get rid of Perry because they don't like him. I'm guessing they just don't like him.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Or he was actually getting tough about border security. Nah, that's a conspiracy theory lol. It's just a coincidence.

Comment

I thought witch burning went out a few centuries ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              The question isn't whether or not its illegal the question is whether or not they are simply trying to get rid of Perry because they don't like him. I'm guessing they just don't like him.
              More specifically, he is a leading candidate for President of the U.S.A. Therefore, his reputation must be sullied via false legal allegations.

It is exactly what was done to Sara Palin to destroy her reputation as the most popular governor in the U.S.A., which she was until she was chosen to be the Republican VP candidate. Thereupon she was hounded with serial phony ethics violations one after another ― every one of which proved to be baseless, but the toll in terms of legal bills and distraction from her duties as governor became unsustainable. Now she cannot run for office because it is said that she was a quitter for only serving 20 months as governor of Alaska, when the avalanche of false ethics charges had put her in an untenable position as one who put the welfare of the state of Alaska above her own political career.

A corrupt prosecutor in Travis County, Texas, put the innocent Tom Delay through years of false charges and false convictions; just as is now being to be done to Perry, in the same corrupt judicial district. After a series of grand juries refused to indict Delay, one was finally found that did issue an indictment. After years of being falsely accused and wrongfully convicted by a corrupt judicial jurisdiction ― the same one that is now falsely accusing Perry, the Supreme Court of Texas exonerated Delay of all charges. But not before his reputation and political career were destroyed.

Do I have that about right, Mr. Texas aka Cow Poke?

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                Do I have that about right, Mr. Texas aka Cow Poke?
                Pretty much!

Takes me back to earlier this year (was it THIS year) when the Satanists were out hailing Satan because Wendy, in all her glory, was wanting to sacrifice more babies on the pagan altar. There's a REASON the locals have a campaign to....

keep-aus-tiedye-19044-510z.jpg

Comment

The suit is crap.

However, I'm not in favor of Perry's actions here, either. If she is incompetent/incapable/criminal then there are methods available to get her out of office. But vetoing an otherwise perfectly legitimate agency's budget because of an issue with its director is lighting a campfire with a flamethrower. Perry's actions stink - even granting the best of motivations this looks more than a little high-handed and constitutionally questionable (assuming Texas' constitution has some form of separation of powers which is a pretty fair assumption).

There are MUCH better ways to remove someone from office. Perry overdid it - a LOT. That doesn't make the suit legit - like I said, it's a total horse poopiepie - but the outrage that sparked it has merit.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    The suit is crap.

However, I'm not in favor of Perry's actions here, either. If she is incompetent/incapable/criminal then there are methods available to get her out of office.
                    For example?

But vetoing an otherwise perfectly legitimate agency's budget because of an issue with its director is lighting a campfire with a flamethrower. Perry's actions stink - even granting the best of motivations this looks more than a little high-handed and constitutionally questionable (assuming Texas' constitution has some form of separation of powers which is a pretty fair assumption).
                    I'm no Perry fan, but I don't know the internal workings of this, and whether or not he DID have alternatives.

There are MUCH better ways to remove someone from office. Perry overdid it - a LOT. That doesn't make the suit legit - like I said, it's a total horse poopiepie - but the outrage that sparked it has merit.
                    So, what could he have done?

Comment

Now THIS is funny.... (bolding mine)

Source: ABCNews

No one disputes that Perry is allowed to veto measures approved by the Legislature. But the left-leaning Texans for Public Justice government watchdog group filed an ethics complaint accusing the governor of coercion because he threatened to use his veto before actually doing so in an attempt to pressure Lehmberg to quit.

So, MAYBE if Perry had FIRST posed for a photo op in which he declared "I have a phone and a pen", it would have been considered fair warning?

Putin_Obama_Pen_Phone_Tanks.jpg

Comment

This is Texas politics --- and many of the earlier news reports WRONGLY stated this was a STATE Grand Jury doing the indictment. It is, in fact, a COUNTY Grand Jury --- Travis County, in particular, the most Democratic region of Texas.

There had, indeed, been other attempts to get this ELECTED OFFICIAL - Ms. Lehmberg - to step down, including a complaint to, and hearings by, a Travis County Grand Jury.

Source: NYTimes

A number of Mr. Perry’s aides have testified in recent weeks before the grand jury, including Ken Armbrister, director of the governor’s legislative office. A previous grand jury was sworn in last year to determine whether Ms. Lehmberg should be removed for official misconduct. Its term expired, however, and it appeared to not consider the issues surrounding Mr. Perry’s threat and veto.

Austin and Travis County are Democratic-dominated regions in a Republican-dominated state. Asked to respond to those who described the investigation as a partisan witch hunt, Mr. McCrum said: “I’m not going to get into that. That didn’t go into my consideration whatsoever.”

There's not even a SMIDGEN of corruption in Travis County politics.

Correction: August 15, 2014

An earlier version of this article and an accompanying summary described incorrectly the grand jury that issued the indictment against Gov. Rick Perry of Texas. It is a county, not a state, grand jury.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          For example?

I'm no Perry fan, but I don't know the internal workings of this, and whether or not he DID have alternatives.

So, what could he have done?
                          The most likely would be to seek impeachment if she's elected or consult the AG for removal if appointed (which should be at the Governor's discretion so I'm guessing she's elected). If it really is a fall through the cracks thing then get it fixed and remove her when (not if) she mucks up again.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            This is Texas politics --- and many of the earlier news reports WRONGLY stated this was a STATE Grand Jury doing the indictment. It is, in fact, a COUNTY Grand Jury --- Travis County, in particular, the most Democratic region of Texas.

There had, indeed, been other attempts to get this ELECTED OFFICIAL - Ms. Lehmberg - to step down, including a complaint to, and hearings by, a Travis County Grand Jury.

A number of Mr. Perry’s aides have testified in recent weeks before the grand jury, including Ken Armbrister, director of the governor’s legislative office. A previous grand jury was sworn in last year to determine whether Ms. Lehmberg should be removed for official misconduct. Its term expired, however, and it appeared to not consider the issues surrounding Mr. Perry’s threat and veto.

Austin and Travis County are Democratic-dominated regions in a Republican-dominated state. Asked to respond to those who described the investigation as a partisan witch hunt, Mr. McCrum said: “I’m not going to get into that. That didn’t go into my consideration whatsoever.”

There's not even a SMIDGEN of corruption in Travis County politics.

Correction: August 15, 2014

An earlier version of this article and an accompanying summary described incorrectly the grand jury that issued the indictment against Gov. Rick Perry of Texas. It is a county, not a state, grand jury.

Okay, so it's a crappy politically motivated suit...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              The most likely would be to seek impeachment if she's elected or consult the AG for removal if appointed (which should be at the Governor's discretion so I'm guessing she's elected). If it really is a fall through the cracks thing then get it fixed and remove her when (not if) she mucks up again.
                              I think the complicating factor here is that she is an elected official in a highly Democratic County -- her County Grand Jury was given the case, but being comprised of a greater majority of Democrats, allowed their session to expire without action. Her own County wasn't about to toss her out, in spite of the fact that she, as head of the Public Integrity Unity, was arrested for drinking while driving (remember the hissy the Democrat's pitched over Bush's DUI from his YOUTH?) and then assaulted police officers while in custody. Here peers and constituents weren't about to take any action to remove her.

Comment