Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Governor Perry Indicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    So, you don't think it's a good idea to have the person removed by what ever means necessary, who is in charge of the Public integrity agency, and who Pled Guilty to DUI and refused to resign? And her Democrat cronies refused to make her?
    NO, absolutely NOT - remember, 'any means' that your governor can use, the other party's governor can use!

Besides, what part of the 'rule of law' don't you like? Just because they didn't honor the spirit of the law isn't an excuse to also become lawless.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And the "Public Integrity Unit" run out of a Democratic COUNTY in Texas is a colossal waste!
    Then target the agency, not an individual. Perry did the opposite.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Which is why Perry looks like an idiot here
      Perry does NOT need this incident to look like an idiot!

- he specified he wouldn't have vetoed the thing except for her.
      Yeah, I would love for you to meet her.

The fact that they didn't deal with her calls the agency's legitimacy into question - get rid of it, not just her.

Texas...
      Yeah, come fix that for us.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then target the agency, not an individual. Perry did the opposite.
        Politics is all about money, you know that. He didn't defund HER --- he defunded the government blight.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Politics is all about money, you know that. He didn't defund HER --- he defunded the government blight.
          CP, read what the man said - he used a bazooka on a fly (being nice and not insulting a certain nasty class of beetle by comparing it to Madame Drunk Driver) - and he did so intentionally. The attack on the agency isn't an end as it should be, but a means, which is REALLY STUPID.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Perry does NOT need this incident to look like an idiot!

Yeah, I would love for you to meet her.

Yeah, come fix that for us.
            1)

2) Why?

3) Fix it yourselves - actually, unwittingly, Perry just did - unfortunately, if he does what he said, it's only temporary.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Source: TexasTribue.org

The video of her field sobriety tests and from inside the Travis County Jail is scandalous and highly embarrassing: She screamed and cried, kicked a door, stuck out her tongue and repeatedly tried to pull rank by telling authorities to “call Greg” — meaning Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton. "Y'all are gonna be in jail, not me," she declared at one point.

© Copyright Original Source

Threatening the deputies that they're going to be in jail is a pretty significant abuse of power. Do you think the Public Integrity Unit investigated that?

Comment

Threatening the deputies that they're going to be in jail is a pretty significant abuse of power. Do you think the Public Integrity Unit investigated that?
                Source: Breitbart

In the meantime, Lehmberg is facing a new set of legal troubles, as an ethics complaint was filed against her last week, accusing her of failing to properly report on her campaign finance reports the source of the more than $227,000 in attorneys fees she paid to her defense counsel.

The complaint was filed by Austin attorney Kerry O’Brien, the same attorney who had previously filed a lawsuit to have her removed from office, under a provision of Texas law that allows any Texas citizen to bring such a suit against a public official who is unfit for office. The specific allegations of the complaint note that Lehmberg’s campaign finance reports note a $227,885 legal bill due to the Austin-based law firm Richards, Rodriguez & Skeith, some partial payments on that bill totaling $16,060, but do not indicate the source of the funds. Lehmberg has said that she intends to raise contributions to cover the remaining $211,825 still owed, but has not yet reported any such contributions.

The Texas Ethics Commission has five days to determine if the complaint against Lehmberg is sufficient to move forward with an investigation. Breitbart Texas will continue to follow this story.

There have been numerous attempts to remover her from office.

Source: Same Article

The Texas Local Government Code, in Chapter 87, allows public officials like district attorneys to be removed from office for "incompetency, official misconduct, habitual drunkenness, or other causes defined by law." The 1987 revision to the law added a single incidence of intoxication on or off duty as a potential cause for removal.

However, because Lehmberg is a Democrat, elected in Travis County, one of the most Democratic-heavy areas of the state, and Governor Perry, a Republican, would be able to pick her replacement, other Democrats quickly rallied to her defense. Other prosecutors who worked under Lehmberg publicly supported her remaining in office, as did State Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin).

Comment

Has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. I'm not arguing that she shouldn't be removed.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. I'm not arguing that she shouldn't be removed.
                    You certainly have a right to be wrong. She's the "top law enforcement officer" in her county, and has wanton disregard for the law. Yeah, she's golden!

Comment

You certainly have a right to be wrong. She's the "top law enforcement officer" in her county, and has wanton disregard for the law. Yeah, she's golden!
                      Are you listening at all? I'm not supporting her - but the ends do not justify the means. In politics, it's an EXTREMELY bad idea. Or do you think it's okay that Obama uses EO's every time he doesn't get his way? THAT'S the sort of abuse Perry is setting in motion. Is this one woman worth that?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Are you listening at all?
                        No, I'm reading.

I'm not supporting her - but the ends do not justify the means. In politics, it's an EXTREMELY bad idea.
                        Once again, you're entitled to your opinion -- I don't think you really have all the facts, or a complete understanding of the situation.

Or do you think it's okay that Obama uses EO's every time he doesn't get his way?
                        Obama has already been shot down a couple times for his unconstitutionality -- the executive orders he is employing are AT LEAST constitutionally questionable. Even some top Democrats are puzzled why Perry was indicted for doing what is constitutionally within his power.

THAT'S the sort of abuse Perry is setting in motion.
                        I disagree.

Is this one woman worth that?
                        If her DUI were the ONLY offense, it would be one thing. This woman, in my opinion, is corrupt to the core, and ONLY stays in office because the Grand Jury that SHOULD have removed her, along with the process, is corrupt.

Please feel free to have the last word on this.

Comment

No, I'm reading.

Originally posted by CP
                          Once again, you're entitled to your opinion -- I don't think you really have all the facts, or a complete understanding of the situation.
                          That may be - but since you've given me nothing that directly addresses my point I don't think you've understood the objection.

Obama has already been shot down a couple times for his unconstitutionality -- the executive orders he is employing are AT LEAST constitutionally questionable. Even some top Democrats are puzzled why Perry was indicted for doing what is constitutionally within his power.
                          As I keep saying - the indictment is CRAP. That doesn't make Perry's actions a good idea, however.

Originally posted by CP
                          I disagree.
                          Hope you're right - but I very much doubt it.

Originally posted by CP
                          If her DUI were the ONLY offense, it would be one thing. This woman, in my opinion, is corrupt to the core, and ONLY stays in office because the Grand Jury that SHOULD have removed her, along with the process, is corrupt.

Please feel free to have the last word on this.
                          There are other recourses. Sadly, that includes leaving her in office. Still doesn't make using a bazooka on a fly a good plan.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                            Yeah, I just saw Rahm Emanuel defend Perry!
                            For Rahm, the issue probably hits a little close to home:

Originally posted by whiskey
                            Recent polls show Karen Lewis, the Jabba the Hut-like leader of Chicago’s Teachers shown above the odds-on favorite to unseat Rahm Emmanuel and become the next Mayor of Chicago. And this is the reality: the old JFK bargain, where White Liberal Democratic elites govern and give out special favors to Blacks (and Hispanics) in exchange for votes is ending. Chicago’s “FIRE” interests (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate) had a good long run. But demographics is everything. Why indeed should Black populations with the majority or near majority of votes and most active voters (and least vulnerable to double/triple voting prosecutions) settle for a place at the table when they can run the place? Money is not everything, and we are seeing the end of the Oligarch bargain: welfare and various privileges in exchange for votes. Instead, the South African model, of the ANC dominance and control over everything, is rapidly coming to the fore. The fate of nearly all cities in America of any real size is Black political control.

BO SHUDA WHATTA FEMINIST LOOKA LIKE

Comment

Two of the POWERLINE bloggers ― one via link at the beginning of this comment by Steven Hayward ― weigh in on the subject of the OP:
                              THIS IS WHO TEXAS DEMOCRATS ARE DEFENDING

Scott lays out below the farce of the indictment of Texas Governor Rick Perry, but let’s not move on before taking in the proximate cause of political dispute, the conduct of Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg, who ironically runs the “public integrity section” of the DA’s office while obviously having no public integrity whatsoever. If you have 15 minutes of leisure and a strong threshold against disgust, take in these two videos of Ms. Lehmberg in action, first in her DUI stop (where her blood-alcohol level was .23), and then, even better, her appalling jailhouse behavior:

In his commentary, Scott Johnson has quite a number of quotes from well-known legal scholars.

ETA: Dershowitz 'Outraged' by Perry Indictment
                              Last edited by John Reece; 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

A comment from a Travis County/Austin Attorney

From Scott Johnson at Powerline:
                                A COMMENT ON THE PERRY INDICTMENT

John has referred to the indictment of Governor Perry as a Democratic dirty trick. I have referred to it as an egregious farce. Governor Perry himself has characterized it as a “farce of a prosecution.” I think these words accurately characterize the legal substance of the indictment. Yet an Austin attorney writes from Travis County, where the indictment was handed up, with a comment in the nature of an objection:
                                Power Line Friends:

As one of your long-time readers and a long-time conservative in Travis County, I disagree with your commentary only to the extent that it understates the gravity of the Perry indictment to characterize it as a “farce,” “dirty trick,” or “bad joke.” To the contrary, the people of Travis County, and its DA and Grand Jury, are profoundly serious. They are largely not politically or strategically motivated in the ordinary sense. They are philosophically and morally motivated, intent on destroying by any means necessary what they conclude is wrong thinking by bad people.

And the Perry indictment is not merely the Democrats’ attempt to harm a high-profile Republican. It has historical roots, too, in liberal Republicanism, which is why Lehmberg’s “Public Integrity Unit,” despite the fact that it prosecutes state-wide, has remained under the control of all-blue Travis County voters.

Far from being a farce, the indictment of widely-supported, duly elected officials like a sitting governor — and before Perry, our Tom Delay and Kay Bailey Hutchison — is among the darkest corruptions we are likely to see in our lifetimes.

We shouldn’t assume justice will be done after the bad joke is over. Tom Delay was innocent of “money laundering,” but he was jury-tried, convicted, and sentenced for it. Only after an extraordinary delay was the conviction reversed on appeal, but not unanimously (the Democrat dissenting), and, I believe, it’s not yet completely closed.

Our reader’s linguistic critique may or may note be well taken, but the larger point here is inarguably true and important and worthy of repetition, and I trust we will return to it as developments warrant.

Comment